Author Topic: Masamune & Murasame-Swords of Squeenix  (Read 15380 times)

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
Masamune & Murasame-Swords of Squeenix
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2006, 09:15:57 am »
So in CC it wasn't an evil Masamune, but an evil Grandleon?

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2006, 12:17:30 pm »
Evil Grandleon and evil Masamune are the same thing. My real name is Roman, and nickname is, as you can see, Legend of the Past. What you said is the same as saying: "So Roman, not Legend, got a car!"

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2006, 12:47:46 pm »
I meant, the blood thirsty stuff from the evil Masamune in CC could be something related to the japanese legend, but if it's the Grandleon in the japanese version, and not meant to be the Masamune, this connection wouldn't be that clear.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2006, 01:01:49 pm »
Quote from: CyberSarkany
I meant, the blood thirsty stuff from the evil Masamune in CC could be something related to the japanese legend, but if it's the Grandleon in the japanese version, and not meant to be the Masamune, this connection wouldn't be that clear.

There's no real connection to the Masamune legend. The Japanese scenarists had Grandleon in their mind when they thought about the sword curse. It's just a coincidence that in America the sword's name has been translated as Masamune. Plus there are tons of mythological cursed swords, the Japanese Masamune isn't unique.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2006, 04:44:19 pm »
Indeed. as I've said before, the Japanese could believe that ANY sword, or indeed anyTHING or anyONE could become demonic if you didn't keep it clean of impurities (blood, for example)

Who here watches Inuyasha? *waits for show of hands.* Guess what? All of the demons in that show were originally born from the impurities of man. Don't believe me? Naraku, villain of the show, was born entirely from the lust of one evil mortal man and some demons he conjured up. "But Aura, those demons make up for all of Naraku's power." Right, and that's why the guy's human heart is what keeps Naraku alive, right?

And I could go on with any piece of Japanese fiction Westerns might be familiar with featuring demons. That's how they were born. The impurities of Man and Kami.

ibax7588

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2006, 05:51:02 pm »
This post got me thinking and being that I'm no research expert at all, I went to the layman's knowledge database wikipedia.org.

Goro Nyudo, a Japanese swordsmith, was also known by the name Masamune. While no exact timeline of his life has been agreed upon by scholars, it is agreed that he crafted most of his swords in the early to mid 13th century in the Soshu tradition.

S-E has used the Masamune in many of their games, but its role and purpose has changed several times. While in some games it has been a character's ultimate weapon, there were several FF games where the Masamune was the weakest sword in the game. The Masamune has also run the gamut of being a tool of the righteous, much like in Chrono Trigger, or a tool of evil, such as the Masamune of Chrono Cross or Sephiroth's blade in Final Fantasy VII. Also, while tradition states that swords of Masamune were katanas, the Masamune swords found in S-E's role-playing games have taken several forms such as a broadsword or a katana.

Just wanted to clear up any info that had been left out of earlier posts  :D
And you can find more info on the Masamune here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masamune

Durakken

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Masamune & Murasame-Swords of Squeenix
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2006, 04:30:22 pm »
ugh... geeze you people...

Masamune and Murasame are not A sword but rather a set of swords created by 2 men, Masamune and Muramasa. Masamune's swords were almost all made during a time of peace and most of his business came from famillies wanting a blessed sword for their houses to ward off evilness, While Muramasa was a student of Masamune or his student's student and was alive during an age of war and he was supposedly hate and jealousy of Masamune that when he created a sword  evilness poured into it.

It is said that if you take a masamune sword and place it in a river and leave pass by it the sword with pass along without damaging the leaves, while if you do the same thing with the murasame the leaves will be cut in two.

It is also said to be very dangerous to handle a murasame sword because they are said to have a blood thirst. It is a legend that if you unsheath one it will not return to it's sheath unless it draws blood from someone, this includes the wielder of the sword itself.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2006, 06:11:14 pm »
Thanks for bringing back a three month old thread to repeat something I'VE already said. *eyeroll*

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2006, 06:31:47 pm »
That Masamune/Murasame stuff has been put in the Real World Influences article since 2004 anyway.

Durakken

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2006, 06:51:01 pm »
unfortunately the info that was given was wrong...correcting was needed so i corrected...and most of the stuff on the forums is months old v.v I don't look at the dates just how close to the top they are

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2006, 04:53:03 am »
Thanks for bringing back a three month old thread to repeat something I'VE already said. *eyeroll*
Stick it to the man!

ClayAKAMe

« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2006, 03:44:37 am »
In Chrono Cross isn't the Masamune a double bladed sword?

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2006, 09:42:27 am »
What is a doublebladed sword? Like, 1 sword with 2 blades? Or 1 sword with 2 sides being sharp?
*note for hate topic->"I hate terms I don't understand"*

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2006, 05:11:55 pm »
Yes, Masamune's a double-bladed sword.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2006, 02:46:36 am »
Double-bladed means double sided.

Most common medieval swords were double bladed. An example of a none double-bladed sword would be a traditional katana.