Author Topic: Top 10 RPGs of all time  (Read 12266 times)

Julian

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2006, 01:09:10 pm »
Quote from: Mystik3eb
I agree. The Dollet mission kicked ass. That was awesome.

But I guess that point was where our interests split. I LOVED the plot twist, and it was a perfectly reasonable explanation. It made sense that being able to use such powerful GFs actually COST something. And it was countered well with Selphie writing a journal to keep their memories safe. KH: CoM, anyone?

And I personally thought it was obvious that Squall didn't not-care about her before even the attack of the Gardens. The change wasn't really quite that drastic.

Plus we know he liked her deep down, anyway. Remember the dance scene? That didn't just disappear. That dude liked her, he was just forcing it down, the way he did with everything. Fucking asshole.

Maybe I would've liked it less if Squall and Rinoa had as terrible voice acting as Tidus and Yuna.

...oh Julian. What are you talking about, the ending of the third Star Ocean? I was saying that cuz I haven't finished it yet! GAH!!!

Oooh I had no idea, I thought you had finished it, sorry !

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2006, 04:01:30 pm »
The Draw system was pretty hectic. It gave an extra oomph to the game.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2006, 06:15:01 pm »
Quote from: Burning Zeppelin
He had a secret crush on her, obviously.
And I don't call "walk...fight...walk...fight...talk...talk...talk...talk...fight...run away" high adrenaline.

I could say that about just about every RPG ever, including the exciting parts of CT.  Your retarded.

The draw system made this game "Easy-mode" Final Fantasy.

Princess Marle

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2006, 09:41:20 pm »
Sorry !! :? I should of been more clear on backing up my beloved FF8 ..The bit I was talking about that was boring is when you are at Balamb and you have to go to the Fire cavern..I don't call the Raiding Dollet bit the start of the game.. :cry: and I don't call the orphange bit the End I call it the near the Middle..But What I was TRYING to say was that FF8 goes to this boring high school life to thrilling Missions..Example the Parade and almost near death Situations ..  :wink: Then Rinoa goes into coma Squall wishes for her to return you go up in space..I like space..and Then you have that classic Eyes on Me bit on the Rangnok and then Selphie uses some mighty o'girl power and they try and save Ellone from seifer and then Seifer kills Odin and it's just like..WHOA you know ?? So yeah I still think Final Fantasy 8 gets better as it goes along..But if you don't believe me then I will be happy to change the Subject.. :wink:

Sentenal

• View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2006, 11:42:42 pm »
The 3 good parts of FF8;

Battle at Dollet.
Assassinating (or attempting) the Sorceress.
Balamb Garden vs. Galbadia Garden.  well, until you actually get inside.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2006, 02:12:28 am »
Quote from: Sentenal
And I don't call "walk...fight...walk...fight...talk...talk...talk...talk...fight...run away" high adrenaline.

I could say that about just about every RPG ever, including the exciting parts of CT.  Your retarded.

I was talking about the "high adrenaline" Battle at Dollet or whatnot. It was just like all battles, except, dum da da dum, with high adrenaline music! Which made all the difference, of course.

And the draw system didn't make it that easy.

Sentenal

• View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2006, 02:15:10 am »
Quote from: Sentenal

I was talking about the "high adrenaline" Battle at Dollet or whatnot. It was just like all battles, except, dum da da dum, with high adrenaline music! Which made all the difference, of course.

And the draw system didn't make it that easy.

The opening cut scene with that boat bashing through the coastal defenses, and the getting chased by that spider robot-mobile at the end was awesome.

And when you can get into a random battle, select draw over and over, to make your characters so powerful you can beat the game with no problem, you know your in easy mode.

Also, this is the ONLY rpg I've ever played that punishs you for leveling up.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2006, 03:38:30 am »
It was awesome.

Strangely enough, draw doesn't always work! I know, its so crazy! And using Draw is risky, as it justs wastes your turn most of the time. Plus, Draw makes sense, unlike random MP. Well, I guess HP is random too.

How does it punish you again? FFIX punishes youin some ways.

Princess Marle

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2006, 10:24:26 pm »
if you level up the Monsters will Level Up But Who cares when you can get the Tornberry GF and use Level Down on Tough Foes..
How Does Final Fantasy 9  Punish you for Leveling up ??

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2006, 01:17:32 am »
FFIX hardly punishes you for leveling.  And in VIII, LV Down doesn't work on bosses, which is when you could actually really use it.

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2006, 03:08:27 am »
For not liking game that are uber hard, I liked the levelling up baddies in FFVIII. Was a nice twist that helped keep things more on a level playing field, but not to an extreme. And helped level up for sure when you got the Ragnarok.

IX doesn't punish you for anything...I'm confused...

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2006, 03:38:08 am »
FF9 punishes you in some way...or a certain weapon or something.

And boo hoo, monsters level up. Like Marle said, I have Tonberry King. Suck on that.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2006, 04:07:53 am »
FF9 punishes you in some way...or a certain weapon or something.

And boo hoo, monsters level up. Like Marle said, I have Tonberry King. Suck on that.

There is a sword called Excalibur you can only get if you make it to the room that contains it (in the final dungeon) in under...I think it's 12 hours. Not sure the exact figure, but something silly like that.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2006, 04:19:09 am »
The Excalibur 2. Are you trying to say that it punishes you for levelling up because it will take time and destroy your chances of the E2? Or is it just another one of your crazy, wild comments?

Sentenal

• View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2006, 06:36:54 am »
It makes no sense AT ALL to level in FF8.  Enemies get stronger if you do, and it would make much more sense just to whore draw till you get 99 magic on every stat first.  Just get into a battle, and draw draw draw till you max it.  And if you get killed while doing that, you really suck.  This game is FF-easy mode.