Author Topic: I really, really hate those fairies / dwarves.  (Read 7075 times)

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
I really, really hate those fairies / dwarves.
« on: April 06, 2012, 02:00:07 am »
So while playing Chrono Cross again, I remember how much it baffles me that not only the fairies, but also the dwarves themself blame the humans for driving them from the forest and being the cause of the fairy genocide.

Did I miss something here? If I recall, back in Hydra Marshes, the dwarves were LITERALLY trapping wandering fairies in cages and feeding them to monsters because they thought it was funny.

How is it possible that the dwarves see themselves as the protectors of nature when they violently attack other races for no apparent reason, or commit genocide on a fairy village, even bringing a goddamn TANK?

Having to hear the fairies' speech about how humans are so evil because they chased away the innocent dwarves just always annoys me so much. Just had to get this off my mind.

jamesexia

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: I really, really hate those fairies / dwarves.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 06:32:18 am »
What's really sad and annoying is it doesn't even matter which path in the story you choose. I mean, you can choose to save Kid or not, but it doesn't make a difference. I know there's supposed to be an environmental message at this point, but I think it should have depended on which path you chose. I usually try to save Kid anyway, but that's because it's what I would try to do in real life. :)

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 09:36:16 am »
Choose to not save Kid and then simply walk into Mordor Mt Pyre and neither scene happens at all. Instead, you find that a bunch of monsters (those Lagoonates) have killed all the fairies. So I guess the message becomes ... shit happens?

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 10:04:01 am »
Then the famous quotation is proved once again, but...the future refused to change.
 :x

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 10:52:35 am »
Yeeeaaaah, that always irritated and confused me too.

Choose to not save Kid and then simply walk into Mordor Mt Pyre and neither scene happens at all. Instead, you find that a bunch of monsters (those Lagoonates) have killed all the fairies. So I guess the message becomes ... shit happens?

This made me laugh so much.

Also, your new rank is awesome.  I don't know what it means, but it's still awesome.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 11:34:16 am »

Quote from: Beach Bum
but also the dwarves themself blame the humans for driving them from the forest and being the cause of the fairy genocide
If I recall, back in Hydra Marshes, the dwarves were LITERALLY trapping wandering fairies in cages and feeding them to monsters because they thought it was funny.
Bla, that is what human history is all about. Sad.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 12:38:27 pm »
Hahahaha god that picture is amazing! Laughing out has never been so loud.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 12:49:33 pm »
While the dwarfs aren't completely innocent (They could've just come in peaceful with the fairies, or maybe just move elsewhere. Earth Dragon Island sounds like a more ideal place for them to move into, though then again, these aren't (mostly) your stereotypical dwarfs.), it was indeed the humans, who by driving the hydras into extinction, forced them out of the marshes. It was unfortunate what they did after, but it was the humans who drove them out.

So in a way the humans were indeed responsible.

It's a situation that can never have an ideal outcome. The most you can hope is a bittersweet conclusion, by taking the Save Kid Path and ensure that the hydra's offspring lives. Sure, you can't stop the dwarf's massacre in time to tell them there is still hope, but at least the dwarfs do understand and are reasonable when they're finally told, opting to return and protect the little hydra.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 01:03:13 pm »
Kid:
   So that's Terra Tower's
   final, true form...
   In the end, we're all the
   same...
   Everyone dreams of bein'
   greater, more powerful...

Perhaps those who fall from power tend to criticize those who are in power. But when the weakers one day arise, they might be more cruel and unreasonable. It is also natural for people to sympathize with those who are also losers. :cry:  -- But that is also a good reason for us to play games, watch movies, reading stories, to see those relatively weak protagonist grows stronger and beats the antagonist. :twisted:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:10:35 pm by utunnels »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 01:57:27 pm »
Also, your new rank is awesome.  I don't know what it means, but it's still awesome.

I guess it means I'm a Peach Mountain Shogun now!

Then the famous quotation is proved once again, but...the future refused to change.
 :x
Ha! :lol:
I wonder, though. Is there a path to take in which the fairies never die? I can't recall.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 06:26:31 pm »
I wonder, though. Is there a path to take in which the fairies never die? I can't recall.

Far as I know, there isn't. It's either the Dwarfs or the Lagoonates, which by the way, I didn't knew about, interesting. Then again, I always go there to get the Ice Breath no matter which path I took.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 07:01:47 pm »
Seriously, the way Kato handled things, was he having a crisis of faith in humanity or something at the time?

We get it, Mr. Kato. Humans are Bastards.

Meh. Kinda explains the Gainax Ending. He was channeling Anno. :P

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 08:09:23 pm »
I think it was more a thematic thing hinting towards the fact that the humans weren't entirely "native" to the planet, since their evolution was controlled by Lavos, and Cross completely did away with hope and free will ideas.

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 08:07:11 am »

Far as I know, there isn't. It's either the Dwarfs or the Lagoonates, which by the way, I didn't knew about, interesting. Then again, I always go there to get the Ice Breath no matter which path I took.

To be fair, the Lagoonates appear later and merely wander around the areas not inhabited by the fairies. The island should be big enough for more then one species to live on. Plus they didn't attack the fairies, nor appear to be fighting or hindering them at all.

Whereas the dwarves outright attacked the village, killing everyone in sight, and attempting to claim the island as their own.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 01:15:07 pm »
Whereas the dwarves outright attacked the village, killing everyone in sight, and attempting to claim the island as their own.

True, the dwarfs are no saints, but it was the humans who triggered this chain-reaction. Blaming only/mainly the dwarfs is like blaming the bullet more so than the guy who pulled the trigger.

The fairies' anger on the dwarfs is just eclipsed by their anger on the humans. True, the dwarfs didn't had to do what they did, but the humans were the ones who made them do it in the first place. So in their eyes, the situation could've been completely averted if only the humans hadn't driven off the dwarfs.

And to be fair, the dwarfs didn't caged Razzly for fun. Since the hydra was the last of her species (they didn't knew about the offspring), the dwarfs had basically become overprotective. Razzly mentioned she was caged after she saw the hydra, and the dwarfs themselves do say anyone who sees the hydra will have to die. They were just protecting the hydra.