Author Topic: Question for Chickenlump  (Read 7745 times)

DivineDragoonKain

Question for Chickenlump
« on: January 26, 2005, 10:24:13 pm »
Eh, this can be answered by anyone, but I expect Chickenlump to be that one.

I'd like to know if there's any editor that can change what attacks characters/enemies can use. It'd be extremely useful for some enemy hacks I'm making...

Thanks in advance.

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Question for Chickenlump
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 12:57:30 am »
Cool beans, a thread with my name in the title. :D

I'm afraid not right now.
The enemies' attacks are defined in their AI scripts, and that's tough to make an editor for (for me anyway) because it's variable length, meaning each enemies AI script is different size and different things going on. You would have to go in with a hex editor and find your enemy, and find the byte that determines an attack and change it, but I haven't played with that much.

Here is the offsets for a hex editor for all the Enemy AI scripts.

0C8D08 - 0CCBC8    AI   No   No   Enemy AI   7/14/2003

I can only tell you that the scripts go in order, starting with Nu.

If you want to change an enemy to have another enemy's AI script, like, Nu to act like Lavos and have Lavos's attacks and such, just use my Chrono Tweaker program and switch the values. That's pretty easy to do.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/files/ChronoTweaker.zip

(graciously hosted by the awesome Zeality)

(the offsets above are for an Unheadered ROM and my Chrono Tweaker requires a Headered ROM)

I'm afraid that's all I can do for you right now, but perhaps in the future Temporal Flux will be able to edit this data once it's figured out a bit more.

Hope that helps you some. :)

DivineDragoonKain

Question for Chickenlump
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 05:20:24 pm »
Okay, thanks. I know about Chrono Tweaker already, and have played around with Gato(or should I say, Schala).

I just wanted her to be able to cast Magus's spells without the barrier script, and maybe have other abilities.

Out of curioisity, in your Zeal Family hack, what enemy set did you give Schala? I haven't played it yet...

Hopeful Death

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Question for Chickenlump
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 06:24:26 pm »
I didn't know you had a little ChronoTweaker program...

You should add techs to it too.  You know... if you want that is.

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Question for Chickenlump
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 09:52:00 pm »
I do actually have some Tech information to add in.

Untill I do, check out this thread, and play around with it in a hex editor.
This info was found by AdNova. It's nice to see Chrono Trigger hackers coming out of the woodworks, out of the blue, from out of nowhere. :)

I will have an updated Chrono Tweaker available in a month or so, I've been busy lately, so sorry for the lack of updates (I'm doing a complete rewrite, just to clean it up and start anew). Hope you find some use for the existing Tweaker for now. :)

Link to AdNova's Tech info:
http://www.zophar.net/wwwthreads/attachment.php?Cat=&Board=romhack&Post=251625

or

http://www.zophar.net/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=romhack&Number=245818&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&part=2&vc=1

Hopeful Death

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Question for Chickenlump
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 10:04:18 pm »
Yeah.  I actually found the tech offsets a couple years ago.  Along with a few other things.  It's what lead to the information found in Phoenix 1911's FAQ in the tech section and my stat/level FAQ at GameFAQs.

Since then, my old computer that I did hacking work on fried.  And I lost AAALLLL of my data on it, including the work I did on hackin.  And since then I just completely got discouraged and gave up hacking Chrono Trigger.

I'm overjoyed to see that there are others doing it now though.  Maybe now I can just be lazy and wait for other people to discover stuff now :)

Oh, and looking at that link for the techs, I notice the tech power addresses aren't listed.  would you happen to know where the info for tech attack power is stored?

It's one of the things I found but have since lost.  If not, I can probably find them on my own again.

Edit:  Nevermind!  I just found them!  Wheee....

On a somewhat related note, do you know of a good free Hex Editor?  The one I've been using pisses me off.  You can't arrange it so it displayes a certain number of bytes per line.  It's fixed at 16 and it's inconvenient to organize things the way I want.  For example, the tech data I'm using has 12 bytes per tech.  I want to arrange it so that the hex editor starts a new line every 12 bytes so I can neatly separate each tech to its own line.

Know a free Hex Editor that can do that?

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Question for Chickenlump
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 12:01:57 am »
12 bytes per tech? Where is THAT located? O_o
I use xvi32 and frhed, but they may not be to your liking.
If anyone has better hex editors, free, post em please, I wouldn't mind a new one myself.... >_>

http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm

http://www.kibria.de/frhed.html

Hopeful Death

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Question for Chickenlump
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 12:15:25 am »
I'll post more about it when I figure out more about what each value does.  A lot of it seems to be pointless junk.  But the attack power is included in the 12 bytes at least.

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Question for Chickenlump
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 12:33:48 am »
I'm sure it's something I could easily add to my Chrono Tweaker program, and would make a nice addition. I'll keep an eye out here in case you post some offsets (I watch these boards almost hourly anyway. I feel no shame. :D ).

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
Question for Chickenlump
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 02:26:40 am »
It is not free, but the best hex editor hands down is Hex Workshop.

---T.Geiger

Hopeful Death

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Question for Chickenlump
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 03:52:06 am »
Hmmm, this is weird.

I was examining the hex data through Magus until I finished at Dark Matter.

And then I look on expecting to find a different type of data afterwards.

But  the next  lines followed the same formula as the other techs.

So then I figured perhaps the game decided to put enemy techs after character techs or something.

But there are only 12 more techs that follow the same type of formula until it stops and the data switches up and changes.  If those were enemy techs, it would certainly have carried on for more than 12 techs.

I thought it a bit strange.... Just thought I'd share.  Maybe dummied out or something.  Half are physical attacks and half are supplementary magic.  But their attack power would leave them doing  barely more than a regular physical attack.  One of them would actually do less than a physical attack.

Anyway, after a little testing most of the bytes were some type of flag that aren't too useful by themselves in the first place.  They're important to the function, but you can't change the function of the tech just by changing the data in this line.  So most of the stuff you can change aren't useful yet.  Maybe you can figure it out a bit better.

Cyclone is on C234B-C2356.  The attack power is located on the 10th byte, or C2354 for Cyclone.  

If it's an attacking tech that is.

If it's a healing tech, the "attack power" or maybe I should say "heal power" is located on the 2nd byte.

Then Slash starts on C2357 and I'm sure you can figure out the rest from there.

ADnova

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Question for Chickenlump
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005, 02:43:49 pm »
Before JLukas pointed out Temporal Flux and Chrono Tweaker, I had planned to write a ROM editor myself. But it was obvious that those two programs were much, much better than what I could've done.

Anyway, the only other pieces of information I found that I haven't seen anywhere else are the offsets for what techs each character has.

For a ROM with header:
2BF40: In menu techs
3DAA9D: In battle techs

Values at both offsets are layed out as:
01 09 11 19 21 29 31 39 ...etc.

I didn't test much, but it seemed as though each value had 2 meanings: as the start index of one characters tech list, and one greater than the end index of the prevous characters tech list. If you've programmed with C++, they seem to work like C++ STL iterators begin() and end(), ie. first index, then one past the end.

e.g. 01 09 -> 01 is Crono's first tech (cyclone), 08 (Luminaire) is his last, and 09 is Marle's first (Aura). I haven't done any CT hacking for a while, but that's what I wrote in the binder full of CT info.

Keep up the great work, I look forward to some Chrono Trigger hacks.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Question for Chickenlump
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2005, 11:50:43 pm »
Just noting that DDK has confirmed Double Techs aren't specifically wired to certain characters. He has gotten Marle to do X Strike. Hilariously, Crono's palette switched itself:

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
Question for Chickenlump
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2005, 12:06:53 am »
Just noting that DDK has confirmed Double Techs aren't specifically wired to certain characters. He has gotten Marle to do X Strike. Hilariously, Crono's palette switched itself

I am suprised that passed the special event logic, but you can see that it has issues even when forced.  If someone can get this to work in a regular battle, we might have something to take a serious look at.

---T.Geiger

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Question for Chickenlump
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2005, 12:09:56 am »
Forgot to add that Lucca's MP was drained. Glitchy indeed.