Author Topic: Forum issues  (Read 15197 times)

Ramsus

Re: Forum issues
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2006, 02:01:29 am »
Sorry for the double post. I have a problem. All the pictures seem to be still there, CT-CC-RD and other fan art avatars, but I can't access them. There's a little white box with a red box next to my original hyperlink avatar from my site. I've tried logging on and off but still nothing. I doubt it's my firewall but anything is possible.

Any ideas?

Can you post a screenshot of what you mean? Try posting it as an attachment.

The avatars work just fine for me. I'm not sure about remote avatars though.

If all else fails, make sure it's 100x100 or smaller and has a file extension. Also try uploading it from a file.

Ramsus

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2006, 04:00:33 am »
Okay, I'll leave it on this black theme, go get some dinner, then come back to port Zeality's previous theme to the new forums. Then I'll go back and try tackling the Compendium theme again. Everything should be in a fairly stable state, so I'll start working on my local copy. Expect to see results sometime tomorrow.

Thanks for all your work. To add to your to-do list, at some point I'd like to see a custom theme that isn't so friggin' dark. Graz. Also, I seem to have lost Mod powers on my board. I had my name in that nifty green font for barely a day, and now poof! I'm just one of the herd again...

How's that?

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2006, 01:43:43 pm »

Can you post a screenshot of what you mean? Try posting it as an attachment.

The avatars work just fine for me. I'm not sure about remote avatars though.

If all else fails, make sure it's 100x100 or smaller and has a file extension. Also try uploading it from a file.

I solved the problem. Yes, that stupid white box with the red X in the center was there to show that I couldn't see an image. I checked Norton and what it was blocking and when an icon did pop up about blocking stuff on the site, I don't know why, I might have pushed ENTER and it went through. As soon as I turned it off, I could see the avatars. I kind of like this avatar though.

New problem, (final problem :)) the text on the site appears smaller than usual now. Is it something with my browser settings or internet settings? I know there's a way to fix it but I forgot how. This IS my last inquiry if anyone could help me.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2006, 03:19:10 pm »
Looks like I'll have to install Konqueror as well...

That only occurred when I was using the Babylon theme with Firefox 1.0.7.  The Compendium theme looks fine now.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2006, 03:59:51 pm »
1.0.7? Maybe it's a bug from the browser, that should be corrected in later versions. Firefox's latest version is 1.5.0.2.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2006, 05:35:41 pm »
I tried it with Internet Explorer, and everything is centered and the font is smaller. Ugh, IE sucks.

Ramsus

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2006, 06:21:55 pm »
I tried it with Internet Explorer, and everything is centered and the font is smaller. Ugh, IE sucks.

No~~~! And I can't properly test IE from Mac OS.

If only I had waited three years and bought one of those newfangled Intel Macs.

EDIT: I found a bug that conceptually ought to mess up IE. Let me know if it still looks bad.

Oh, I also restored special ranks and their assignments, so we have our Gurus and Heir to the Masamune again.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 06:35:18 pm by Ramsus »

Mr. Tuesday

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2006, 08:47:31 pm »
Mr. Tuesday is our test guy ~~  :lee:

Ramsus

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2006, 10:14:41 pm »
There. I've just about fixed every problem I'm aware of (small text in IE, centering problems, cosmetic previous/next at the bottom issues, blank space at the top). I'll go through this thread later and double check.

I'm not sure why the Previous/Next links don't work sometimes, so fixing those will have to wait. Also, I might move the quickedit button...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 10:18:58 pm by Ramsus »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2006, 03:15:23 am »
Okay, I'll leave it on this black theme, go get some dinner, then come back to port Zeality's previous theme to the new forums. Then I'll go back and try tackling the Compendium theme again. Everything should be in a fairly stable state, so I'll start working on my local copy. Expect to see results sometime tomorrow.

Thanks for all your work. To add to your to-do list, at some point I'd like to see a custom theme that isn't so friggin' dark. Graz. Also, I seem to have lost Mod powers on my board. I had my name in that nifty green font for barely a day, and now poof! I'm just one of the herd again...

How's that?

Never mind. As of tonight it's all A-OK. Thanks again for working so diligently to get everything up to snuff in a jiffy. I'd bet you enjoy this sort of thing, but regardless of how swell you find the work, that's some chop-chop service.  :lee:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 03:16:55 am by Lord J esq »

Ramsus

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2006, 03:18:24 am »
Actually, I'd like to be working on other things... Not to mention, my eyes are way too strained right now.

EDIT: Now that you mention it, everything did come together really well. Things were looking pretty bad at first, but now everything seems perfect.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 03:21:35 am by Ramsus »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2006, 04:50:42 pm »
The membergroup handling is having an unsavory effect on some people. Jsondag2 couldn't see anything other than the Crimson Echoes board, since he was part of the group "CE Directors." I had to allow that group to see all the regular boards to get things back to normal. I estimate this is going to cause problems for a lot of other people too. I'm going to go through and add normal forums back to the list of things special groups can view. We'll also have to do this for all special groups every time a new public forum is added or special group created.

~

Seems I can do it much easier through "Permissions by board." I'll get this fixed now.

~

I'm having a hell of time getting to a particular screen. There's something that lets you check off "Access" For membergroups for certain boards, but I still can't figure out how I got to it originally.

~

Okay, to get to that, one must change the forum to "Local" permissions. However, I'm not sure what the ramafications are of doing that under "Permissions by board."
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 05:02:29 pm by ZeaLitY »

Ramsus

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2006, 06:37:57 pm »
Yeah, I found out the hard way that your Primary Group sets your access permissions. Make sure all groups set as primary groups have access to every forum a regular user does plus some.

EDIT: It works like this...
  • Take permissions from primary group (if none, then "Regular Member")
  • Add permissions from secondary groups

Setting a primary group removes a person from Regular members, so groups that can be set primary should have the Regular member permissions set in addition to everything else.

So the solution is to create a secondary group called "Special Member" that has all the rights of a regular member, so we can set the primary group to something else.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 06:53:24 pm by Ramsus »

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2006, 08:16:16 pm »
Actually the forum is ok. It looks more...techy. The old forum style (I mean the blue one, not the crazy magus-brown one) was easy to use and all, and quite frankly, awesome. But this one has better post tools. Finally, strikethrough!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2006, 09:11:30 pm »
Okay, I'll bite. I can't figure it out. Why are some topic (and board) headlines underlined, and others not?