Author Topic: The Original Time Line  (Read 2073 times)

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
The Original Time Line
« on: September 30, 2010, 04:15:38 am »
This is one of those moments where i've stayed up way to late and its 3 am in the morning and im thinking about  time travel and dimension crossing, this, is never a good mix.  So i'm going to get this out before I completely forget by the time I wake up in the morning:

In the original time line, with out our heroes interferance, there are some questions that trouble me such as, what happened to Magus? And Zeal obviously still fell, so Schala probably escaped since she didn't waste her energy on saving the team.

It is assumed, that Magus died. He would have completed the spell, summoned Lavos correctly, never gone back in time as the prophet, etc. Lavos obviously still lived so its asumed he killed Magus. So, if Lavos had killed Magus, Frog would revert back to his human form. So what becomes of Glenn? He's not a known knight in guardia 1000 A.D. So where does he go?

All of that is speculation of course- i'm bouncing off track, my point is, in the original time line, things were different, Schala could have saved herself, which explains how Marle gets the pendant. But... Since Schala wasnt saved how does Marle STILL have the pendant? And how does Kid get the pendant as well? I digress. My main question is...the team changed the original time line. What happened to that time line? Does it end up in the DBT? Or does it spin off into a different dimension?

Had Schala been saved, she could have reproduced. If she reproduced, thats life that does not
exist in the new time line. So beings that are from erased time lines end up in the DBT. What happened to the beings in that original time line, are they replaced by the other version of themselves if a new dimension is not created? But what about those who do not exist in the new time? Hmmm.

tjbk_tjb

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: The Original Time Line
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 04:34:40 am »
So, to clarify, you're saying that since Schala was alive in the Lavos Timeline after the Ocean Palace Incident, Schala may have had descendants, then these would affect 1000 A.D., so after (in time error) Schala gets sent to the DBT, these people would never have been born, thus significantly changing 1000 A.D. to something that looks foreign to Crono and company?

If I had to guess, I would say that if Schala and Queen Zeal were shunned for perceived responsibility for the fall of Zeal, Schala would be isolated from society and her effects on time would be marginalized. Even if Schala was not shunned, I wouldn't be surprised if the Queen alone was shunned and Schala stuck by her mom.

What I'm saying is that there is a significant chance that Schala did not reproduce, if for that reason or another. This neatly solves the whole problem.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:37:05 am by tjbk_tjb »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 09:37:44 am »
All of that is speculation of course- i'm bouncing off track, my point is, in the original time line, things were different, Schala could have saved herself, which explains how Marle gets the pendant. But... Since Schala wasnt saved how does Marle STILL have the pendant? And how does Kid get the pendant as well? I digress. My main question is...the team changed the original time line. What happened to that time line? Does it end up in the DBT? Or does it spin off into a different dimension?

At this point it no longer matters that the pendant reaches 1,000 AD anymore, since it has time traveled with Marle now, TTI protects it now. Now the pendant with Schala in the new events, stays with Schala, but the thing is, it's a TB. Although, the fact it was sent to the DBT with Schala then got back with Kid... hm...

As for the original time line, yes, it get sent to the DBT. Due to the nature of a multiverse, it's possible another dimension still houses the original time line, though.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 02:21:29 pm »
Ah alright, I understand it more clearly now! Forgot about TTI!  Interesssting!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 04:53:37 am »
I don't get TTI or TB anymore. It doesn't make much sense to me. So every tonic you pick up, every sword you sell to a merchant, if you change time so that merchant doesn't exist, and go back to the spot where it used to be, there's just a bunch of swords and tonics laying there that are "protected"? I don't buy it. There are big holes in the logic.

I really like Michael Crichton's version of time travel from the novel Timeline, which explains a multiverse concept where each dimension/timeline(same thing) moves (from an outsiders perspective) at different speeds. To someone inside any given timeline, time runs constant and at normal speed. Because of this, some timelines have gone farther forward and some haven't gotten very far at all, and by choosing which timeline to enter, you can control where in time you end up. Things you do in one timeline affect others, for example, the main character finds his father's glasses in a several-centuries old archaeological dig site from before glasses were invented.

(It also got really big on the actual transition from one timeline to another, which effectively "faxes" a copy of yourself to the other timeline, and destroys the original. So each time you travel, there's bigger chance of something going wrong for you, and each time you travel, "you" "die". So not the entire explanation, but it prevents the need for TB, TTI, etc.)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 04:55:59 am by Mr Bekkler »

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 01:29:10 pm »
what happened to Magus?
There are two things that I think might've happened to magus, with the end result being the same.  Case 1) summoning is actually complete and Lavos enters his cambers.  Case 2) The summoning of Lavos still creates a vast gravity well that gets Magus transported back to Zeal, where maybe not necessarily as 'The Prophet"  (since he didn't need to predict the arrival of Chrono and Co) but as a significant contribution to Queen Zeal, which then gets him close to Lavos.  End result that I see both cases, he gets drained (like he did in his encounter with Lavos with your team there) However, there isn't anything (per se) to keep Lavos from completely absorbing Magus' powers, powers which I'd say were arguably greater then even Schala's.  So in my book, because a "dream devourer" didn't form as a result of Lavos absorbing magus through the original encounter, there wouldn't be one from Schala.  I'm under the impression that the pendant was the important quality to the mammon machine, and not an "arbiter".  Anyone with magic power could've done it with the pendant,  Schala just had more power to continue to use the machine, and be directly influenced/controlled by Queen Zeal.

Frog would revert back to his human form. So what becomes of Glenn? 
Just because he's human doesn't mean he redeemed himself.  He secluded himself because he considered his actions a failure, and not so much is form.  Without the Masamune repaired, he wouldn't confront magus on his own, and magus meets his fates end at Lavos' hand, (supposedly) ending the mystics war.  So my guess is Glenn lives out the rest of his days in seclusion with his services no longer needed to protect Leene.

Had Schala been saved, she could have reproduced. If she reproduced, thats life that does not
There's different speculations about how much genetic impact can occur in long terms from time travel.  One consistent possibility is the in either time line Schala doesn't reproduce.  The other possibility is that since the survivors are a limited population that have come to effectively renounce magic (what they consider cause for this whole lavos destroying the kingdom) it doesn't matter who reproduces what as their lifestyle is not effected, marginalizing any effect Schala descendants might have had.

As far as the pendant goes, its a dreamstone creation, and those seem to have a will of their own.  As demonstrated, the pendant that was left on the Ocean Palace where Crono died still makes this back to his surviving friends.  Course, I personally took that (years ago) to mean that Schala had gotten herself off the palace with it, and then from that point on was considered forgotten about otherwise she would have been on the Black Omen. I will add that  I find (but won't expound on) too many errors with the schala to DBT to Dream Devourer, etc story progression.