Author Topic: Total NOOB question  (Read 2809 times)

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
Total NOOB question
« on: October 11, 2008, 09:36:42 pm »
So for the past few years I get the itch to download temporal flux, fool around with it and then I  fail miserably to do anything but crash my rom get mad and delete it off my PC but this time i'm determined to do something dammit.

So I tried to re- read the tutorials and discovered once I downloaded chickenlump's temporal flux guide all the links led to: page cannot be displayed.  Since it stated to check it out first before asking questions in Kajar labs I assume my question is going to be patheticaly simple. . . lol if someone could point me to a guide that would work wonders!

Anyway, onto my question in Chrono's room I built a door

I made an exit and theres nothing blocking it as far as I can see

but Crono cant exit it, he just walks into it as if it was a wall

Did I do something wrong with the exit info?

Also on something completely different, when Gina opens Chrono's window I have no idea how to get the floor around the door to change with the rest of the floor:

It might have to do with the events....

that reminds me I cant figure out how to change what the characters say, I know its in the strings but I cant find it. . .

Ages, Battle enemy Msgs, Battle Party Msgs, chapters, closing credits, enemies, Items, Item desc, Locations, Menu text, settings, techs(FL), Tech desc, Treasure text, and Years  are all in the strings but nothing else.

I'm such a nooob

Anyway if anyone has some insight or a Link for Temporal Flux for dummies, it'd be much appreciated,

thanks!  :mrgreen:

DK_Donutlicious

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Good news, everyone!
    • View Profile
Re: Total NOOB question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 05:29:32 pm »
It's most likely the Z-layer. Window -> Location -> Tile Properties will open the editor for tile properties. Then go Map -> Z-Plane to display the Z-plane. On the Tile Properties window, make sure the Type is set to Walkable, and the Z-Plane is set to Plane 1. Then us that over where the new door is (right now it should have pink boxes, this should change them to dark blue, matching the rest of the walkable area in the room.) Hope that helps!

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 05:50:44 pm »
What characters say is in the events, not strings.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 07:17:07 pm »
Thanks! It worked!

Oh its in the events...heh. thanks!

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 09:11:46 am »
The window opening / closing is done by TileCopy commands in the events.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 01:36:38 pm »
Ohhh...

...More dumb questions >.>

every time I type something in and save it and leave and come back it turns into this:

{Ayla}t5ThN{CronoNick}{PC3}9{Ayla}ThF-{Ayla}ThorThed=Geed{null}

And I'm trying to change the title screen following what one of the event tricks says in the encyclopeida:

Open up Location {1b1} Title Screen.
Object 1 Arbitrary 1 has a "change Location at the end"
Change that Location to the location that you will have your new Title screen be
In the events of your new location make some sort of small intro, make sure at the end of the intro you have a change location {000} Load Screen

...but in the intro location events, add those commands in Object00 after the Return (delete the End):

-CheckButton (All, Type1)
--ChangeLocation {000}
-GoTo the checkbutton

Note that if you have some Pause or ScrollScreen in Object00 they will probably interfer with the Check Button, so move them to a new object.

Now if you push a button during your intro you will be teleported back to the load screen, just like in CT. Unfortunately this doesn't work for the Start button, but the other buttons are fine.

I did everything but the  -GoTo the checkbutton because i'm not sure what Label to use. . .

If anyone has ChickenLumps Temporal Flux guide or....I dunno a temporal flux for dummies link i'd appreciate it :)

Anyway thanks for the help

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 02:38:58 pm »
What location are you changing the text in?  And what strings are you adding/updating/removing?

Zakyrus

• Entity
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • "Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy... --!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 05:27:50 pm »
When adding a brand new string, set the string# to FF (255) and it will auto-relocate.
After editing the string, hit the "Update" button (while the string node is highlighted) and then the "Write-Memory" button (saving all changes to the ROM) When testing, you'll have to leave the location you are currently in and re-enter it for the event data to reset and see the new changes.

I hope this helps...

~Z

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 06:56:40 pm »
1F8 is the location

HA! YEEEY! It worked! I guess I just needed to set the string number to FF. Thanks! :mrgreen: