Author Topic: Graphics Hacking  (Read 50922 times)

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics Hacking
« Reply #285 on: March 02, 2009, 01:20:10 pm »
yea the jpg is the save state i had to change the extension to upload it, just change it back.

OK, i was thinking of the wrong lightning, i thought it was the one that  is used for henches during the F.o.G. We use 56 and 8F for all of our lightning needs so D4 is open.  That being said I do believe that something went wrong in the above patch because the ark looks weird during the subjucation.

--JP

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 02, 2009, 02:08:33 pm »
Problem was I was a buffoon and didn't use the very palette starting address correctional factor I came up with in the Kajar sprite thread. You just can't go by what's in the NA Offsets guide for the sprite palettes! Or at least I can't.

Patch coming right up. I accidently set a color to transparent and need to fix it.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 02, 2009, 02:14:43 pm »
Now we need an Indiana Jones style ending and we're in business.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 02, 2009, 02:31:39 pm »
are you going to fix the latest patch CE patch (in another topic to find a rom)?  Will this cause corruption?

--JP

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 02, 2009, 03:43:35 pm »
Hold on json, I need to figure something out. I'm dealing with this weird paradoxical situation in which the game may in fact be loading a 32 byte range and not a 24 byte range for the sprite palettes, even though the palettes themselves are only 24 bytes in length. My perceived need for a correctional factor may be caused by this -- I'm in fact telling the Ark sprite to pull from the last color of Schala's palette, and it actually works because part of Schala's palette is being loaded into memory when the Ark is onscreen.

Which is cool, because if we chain palettes (make the last color of one palette equal the first color of the next) we could potentially push sprite palettes up to 13 colors. But it's also bad because I farked up Schala's palette in the "perfect Ark" patch.  8)

In any case, I'll be back soon with both a corrected patch and a unified theory of sprite colors.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 02, 2009, 04:11:08 pm »
yea...this is why i'm so paranoid about graphic stuff :)

Anyways I'm sure you can figure it out...  I'm meeting some buddies for some awesome 24 watching post work today so it's awhile till I'll be checking out the rom so you should have plenty of time.

--JP

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 02, 2009, 05:20:33 pm »
I've almost got it. Turns out there's no need for a palette correctional factor when editing after all, but it is still needed to get an approximation of what CT sprites are supposed to look like in Tile Molester. I say "approximation" because Tile Molester may be incapable of viewing compressed CT sprites by simply loading the correct palette in the ROM. The player characters can be viewed correctly, but the NPCs don't seem to match up perfectly with their palettes, even with the palette correctional factor. Or at least I couldn't view Schala correctly. There may be some condition that applies specifically to compressed sprites.

Can anyone think of an example of an NPC or enemy sprite that has a full 12 colors? (Magus doesn't count because he's always uncompressed). That would seriously alleviate some of the concerns I have right now. I've got enough knowledge to take care of the Ark anyway, because it's less than 12 colors.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 02, 2009, 05:25:00 pm »
I'm meeting some buddies for some awesome 24 watching post work today so it's awhile till I'll be checking out the rom so you should have plenty of time.

--JP

Fuck yeah, here's hoping for 2 hours of epicness!

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 02, 2009, 05:35:21 pm »
I'm meeting some buddies for some awesome 24 watching post work today so it's awhile till I'll be checking out the rom so you should have plenty of time.

--JP

Fuck yeah, here's hoping for 2 hours of epicness!

Haha i'll drink to that :) hm.....i feel like there's a 24 thread in general I'll post there. ( i had a pretty large post typed out but i'll put it there)

--JP

Darkken

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 23, 2009, 08:32:34 pm »
Just wondering guys, once I finish up the status pics:

1. Would anyone be opposed to me attempting a redesign for Kasmir? If not can someone post a spritesheet of the current frames?

2. I don't know how far along the King Zeal final boss sprite is, but I'm wondering:
        a) Do we want to edit it to look a bit more like his human form?
        b) If animations are made for it, can they be implemented?

Of course I don't want to step on any toes, so I wouldn't touch these unless Chrono'99 is ok with it.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 23, 2009, 09:07:55 pm »
99 owns both of those graphics so I'll let him comment. 

Are you a pixel artist too???? (imagines you being here like 3 years ago)

--JP

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 23, 2009, 09:20:33 pm »
(imagines you being here like 3 years ago)

--JP
He (or at least his account) was a member of the original CE Dream Team.

While you said "I dont see this happening in the future" about the mech warrior, what was it supposed to look like? (How was it "mech"? The plot thread said "mecha-armored fighter")
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 09:28:10 pm by Vehek »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 23, 2009, 10:01:16 pm »
I can only imagine the plot thread was thinking of magitech armor from FF6.  I managed to get some graphics thrown in but getting the walking animations lined up with krawlie drove me crazy.  It's definitely not a simple swap and krawlies graphics are pretty spread around IIRC. 

That being said I do think I gave him some "mech like AI", can can probably get rid of all his attacks (make them lasers/guns) if someone does manage to do the graphics swap. I left his crazy tossing the PC left and right attack because I thought it'd be cool with a mech but I really do doubt we'll manager to get the animations for that fix'd.

That turned into a rant so here's the summary:

IF someone gets a basic graphics Mech warrior in (just walking should be fine) I'll make the AI simple "not many animation" attacks (bullets/lasers etc)

--JP

P.S. by the way I had no idea Darkken was here before, sorry about the comment above darkken.

Darkken

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 24, 2009, 12:56:47 am »
The mech sounds interesting to me, so I think I'm gonna mess around with it for a bit before the status pics, just as a change of pace.

I wouldn't worry too much about not remembering that I was here previously, as I pretty much was inactive at the time.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 24, 2009, 01:29:36 am »
OK, it replaces the krawlie (not that that means anything really...)

--JP