Author Topic: Chrono Clutch (frog to glenn) updated w art and script  (Read 2250 times)

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
Re: Chrono Clutch (frog to glenn) updated w art and script
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 08:35:02 pm »
Aye, I totally agree with you about Frog's dialect--it'd get annoying to go through a whole game with that. But as far as characterization goes, you're ultimately going to have to find out what his motivation is. Frog's character (which may be described as "angry at the world") was shaped by many factors, including his appearance, the death of Cyrus, his anger towards Magus, and his relationship with castle Guardia, among other things. If you want to bring that characterization back, you need to find out which of these factors still exist: his anger towards Magus is out and he's come to peace over the death of Cyrus, and I'm not sure whether the others would still apply as well. Determine whether Frog was/should still be introverted, where his anger lies, and what would cause him unrest. He's older now, perhaps his characterization has changed--as the author of this project, you need to determine what will make the Frog in this project the Frog that we've always known.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2009, 12:24:48 am »
when i wrote that i was thinking that he's been fucked with his whole life and is sick of it. and now he doesn't have any adventure left around him to keep his mind occupied so he's grown bitter. it goes along with the monomyth theory, that every hero in an adventure has to be convinced to do it in the first place. they never want to leave their normal, routine lives, even if it's in self-exile in a swampy forest with frogs and snakes.

however, and i know this is going to sound stupid, i just saw the ending where he becomes glenn for the first time. it brought a tear to my eye, no joke. i honestly had no idea he became human again in ANY ending. i was sure i'd seen them all, but i was wrong.

i'm still working on the project though, as that ending is not canon, plus there's the whole idea of dying dimensions and whatnot.

here's a question for anyone willing to answer: would you rather play as frog becoming glenn and then having more open up as you go along, or would you rather see a nifty cutscene in the beginning and play as glenn the whole time?

as far as gameplay, right now you have a world map where each continent or country was from a different dimension. dalton is building his own perfect world by taking places from different times and literally destroying the real world, or something along those lines. once you defeat stop him he runs away (again) and you get the Chrono Clutch. this opens red gates wherever you are, and takes you to a place like the end of time, a c shaped room with doors to different dimensions damaged by dalton, and you go in and fix em. how? dungeon crawling and boss beating of course!

among the dimensions, i have the world without a hero (one of my favorites) in which cyrus has been plucked out while glenn is still a small child, meanwhile, janus is found and adopted by fiona and glenn is taken by ozzie. Dark Glenn casts a familiar spell on an all-too-nosy adult Tata and that equals one of the few new characters for Good Glenn's team: Lionel.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2009, 03:10:37 pm »
Cool, cool, the ideas are quite neat, so you've definitely captured my interest. But as far as that question goes, I'd kinda like to play as Frog for a bit and have the choice to become Glenn later on. That's just me though, I'm sure a lot of people are dying for a game where you play as Glenn entirely.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2009, 08:53:47 pm »
I'd rather plan as Frog for a while and then EARN Human Glenn.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2009, 11:21:58 pm »
that's what i was leaning toward. i think i'll stick with it then.

causality will have a decent role in that if you save the gurus you can't save chrono and marle, if you become glenn it affects whether you can recruit magus, if you don't recruit kid then you can save schala, things like that. multiple endings will have to spawn from this.

pc's i have in mind are frog/glenn(obviously), janus/magil(curiously), kid(with less accent),lionel(tata transfigured), and vera (1999 cyberpunk chick)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 11:30:09 pm by addiesin »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2009, 11:23:53 pm »
so who do you have thats going to code this?  or are you planning on learning temporal flux?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009, 11:36:14 pm »
rpgmaker 2003 or xp, depending on whether i meet somebody that can code ruby, otherwise it's gonna have to be 2k3.

i can code events just fine. writing for already defined characters is a bit difficult, but i'm practicing that.

also, assuming i can get it to look right, the playable character sprites should all be original by the time the game is done. i have designs, just not sprites yet. i wonder how big the picture files can be? i could get super detailed on there.

only thing i'm really concerned with is loose ends in the plot.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2009, 12:03:52 pm »
Heh, well if you're concerned with plot, keep coming back here--I'll give you suggestions as often as you ask for 'em.

Oh and Boo put it well, we need to earn Glenn--that's crucial. And I love the notion of causality being crucial to this game. I wish it was even more crucial back in CT, but whatever. That will definitely increase the likelihood of multiple play-throughs.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2009, 09:31:11 pm »
yeah, plus that way it will take care of nonfrog fans.