Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 482615 times)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #1980 on: February 14, 2009, 05:44:29 pm »
Never expected you were coming back, Ramsus.

But anyway, welcome back.

Asafigow

• Guardian (+100)
  • It's the middle of the story, go crazy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: February 14, 2009, 05:47:46 pm »
Wiat! What the hell?! Suddenly Ramsus, the entity I never knew, is back and Shadow is getting band?  :shock: What the hell is going on today?!

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: February 14, 2009, 05:52:15 pm »
Today is a very event-full day indeed.

idioticidioms

« Reply #1983 on: February 14, 2009, 05:53:12 pm »
excuse me, but what the fuck? why did Shadow get banned?

I'm sure I'm probably going to get the answer that it's none of my business.

Personally, I don't think the administrative powers should be abused to change somebodies avatar, but that's just my opinion.

frustration: message boards where the administrators don't keep themselves in check with their powers. Hopefully this isn't one of those boards.

Asafigow

• Guardian (+100)
  • It's the middle of the story, go crazy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: February 14, 2009, 05:56:29 pm »
Today is a very event-full day indeed.

Now only if we could get suprising action like this in the RP Boards.

Shadows getting band, alright. I only wish I could see what kind of RP character he could make that wasn't totally mysterious.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: February 14, 2009, 05:56:57 pm »
Happy Valentine's Day Ramsus! I had a hunch you'd pull a Lord J.

@idioticidioms: It was well in his right to ban Shadow, this isn't out of the blue at all it has been all over the forum. Plus switching the avatar is a method to signify being banned, its just the same as a title saying "Banned".

idioticidioms

« Reply #1986 on: February 14, 2009, 06:25:28 pm »
I understand it's not out of the blue that shadow is being banned. I also understand that it is well within the right of admins to ban people.

What I don't understand is what he did to warrant being banned.

the avatar thing makes sense, though.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: February 14, 2009, 07:04:10 pm »
I understand it's not out of the blue that shadow is being banned. I also understand that it is well within the right of admins to ban people.

It may not be fair in one sense, but on the other hand the arguing over the point had spilled over to being disruptive.  If the admin feels it's for the best it's his call.

My gripe...  So much laundry to do....  Ugh...

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: February 14, 2009, 07:32:33 pm »
What's done is done -- Shadow's being banned -- no point in uncertainty. It was more of a 'when' than an 'if', anyways.

I suppose what has me pissed off right now is that my Bluetooth adapter was pretty much destroyed.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: February 14, 2009, 07:48:53 pm »

Read some old posts and tell me what you honestly think. This is a public forum, so it's all public business. Also, Shadow is only the eighth individual to be banned since the forums were created in 2003, and only the fourth to ever experience being placed into a restrictive user group.

Everyone can live with ugly arguments, terrible insults, a little bit of trolling, and some outright rule-breaking posts. There's nothing here short of hacking the forums that will get you banned as an immediate reaction, and that's the way it should be.

However, if you think there's nothing wrong with consistently posting, over a five month period, dozens of meaningless one-line posts a day, creating lots of empty, self-centered discussion that causes arguments revolving around yourself, scaring off completely new members via tactless responses where you selfishly claim what they've posted is old news and insult them with an abuse of giant fonts and the facepalm smiley, and showing up in every other post of every other thread of the forums you have access to when there's at least a dozen or so other active members with completely different schedules trying to have some real discussion, then of course you won't understand why he's being banned.

Even if he's gotten slightly better in the last few weeks, he's not on his way to becoming a regular member again anytime soon, and that isn't acceptable. FAIL wasn't supposed to become a permanent user group. It was supposed to be the warning that makes you clean up your act, but what's the point if you don't?

I've consistently argued against bans of any sort for so long that it since became instilled within the community ethos. Now the admins are very shy when it comes to banning people, so I think it's probably my fault that Shadow wasn't banned when he should have been.

As a result, I'm setting an example, or else actions stop carrying consequences. After all, I don't mind being the bad guy.

Also, I don't want to wait for some specific infraction to come up that then gets used by another admin or mod as an excuse for banning him, because that establishes "bannable offenses" that then set awful precedents on which future bans will be based. I definitely don't want it to end up being because of an argument or dispute, since that also sets the worst possible precedent -- one that penalizes free speech and every member's right to disagree. Nor should it be because he upset anyone, since that implies only those with personalities we can all get along with should belong here.

Instead, this ban is based on a consistent, long-term pattern of semi-abusive posting that's continued for months even after an increasingly severe series of punishments and warnings imposed by the admins, and avoids setting any precedents on which more arbitrary bans may be based on in the future.

That's also why it seems out of the blue if you're a newer member. To older members, it seems somewhat overdue, and that's probably part of why Shadow is being so gracious in accepting his ban.

Maybe after we add a chat room, a twitter-like micro-blogging extension, and a group-based daily post-count limit, we'll invite him back.

Also, changing someone's avatar is very much an abuse of administrative power. Of course, I also just gave him the ability to change his own avatar again after two months of not being able to edit his personal settings, so I was expecting him to change it back.

EDIT: As a side note, I shouldn't even be the one banning people to begin with, and I hope after this I won't ever have to overstep my authority and ban someone again.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:59:42 pm by Ramsus »

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: February 14, 2009, 08:02:38 pm »
Damn, shit just got real.  Seriously though, that was some sort of overnight explosion!  Raising dead, banning, general rabble rousing, seems like quite the day.  This being Single Awareness Day wouldn't have anything to do with his, would it?   8)

Regardless, I'm home for a minute before I have to go BACK to the office to switch science kits because these local schools can't get their shit together.  Awesome.  Been in the car all damn day.  Lames Bond.  And despite popular belief, I ain't stressin' too hard on Valentine's Day, at least I don't gotta shell out cash, now if  :shock: gets courted or some shady shit over the weekend...then I will be.....how you say....less than pleased...

Besides, it's Saturday and super nice out in LA!!!  TIME FOR MORE TRAFFIC!!

idioticidioms

« Reply #1991 on: February 14, 2009, 08:07:21 pm »
actually, when you put in that perspective, I can understand it. I don't think he meant any harm from it, it's just the way he is.

On another messageboard, we have someone who does something similar. He responds to just about every post with a single line of text or even sometimes a single word, not even deigning to give in-depth or thoughtful replies, and starts 3-5 threads when only one will do. It seriously annoys the piss out of me because it's an rp message board for politics. I know it's just the way he is and he doesn't mean any harm by it, but it is still annoying and I have brought up the subject a couple times, there, but nobody wants to do anything about because technically, he isn't 'breaking any of the rules or laws we have'

Thanks for the response. I haven't been here too long and hadn't seen that that's what he's been doing before now.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: February 14, 2009, 08:15:57 pm »
Well, stick around. It's good to know there's members who don't hesitate to call out admins on things.

Nothing's worse for an Internet community than a flock mentality.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: February 14, 2009, 08:16:39 pm »
What the fuck, I go away for a day and Shadow is banned? I suppose that is what is currently frustrating me. I was one of the ones who thought he shouldn't be banned, and in the poll thread - weren't the ones that thought he should be banned in the minority?

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: February 14, 2009, 08:23:48 pm »
What the fuck, I go away for a day and Shadow is banned? I suppose that is what is currently frustrating me. I was one of the ones who thought he shouldn't be banned, and in the poll thread - weren't the ones that thought he should be banned in the minority?

Bans by popular demand are almost worse than arbitrary bans. Would you rather have someone ban you for a certain reason, or get banned because you were simply voted off the island?

I'd rather not encourage the idea that being unpopular will inevitably lead to being banned, or that being popular will save you.