Author Topic: Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course)  (Read 138140 times)

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course)
« Reply #615 on: January 21, 2009, 06:18:38 pm »
Naw, it's definitely not canon as Kato said. However, the person in the ending FMV is supposed to be a "real life" version of Schala/Kid merged. So if she has Kid's necklace, that is pretty good evidence to me that the necklace is supposed to be Schala's necklace since Schala in the Time Devourer fight didn't have a necklace at all.

Of course, that is ambiguous just like a huge portion of the rest of Cross' script.

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 21, 2009, 06:21:25 pm »

Well Eske, I say it is splitting hairs. Look at the original form of the pendant in Trigger - if you were to ask ten people what they would call that object, how many do you think would say "it's a pendant" or "it's a necklace"? The two words are (almost) interchangeable, at least to the degree that you could be confused by them unlike comparing say - apples and oranges  :D.

Now say you are drawing out the concept art for Cross way back when (before the new CT FMV's were created) and you wanted to represent Schala's pendant/necklace. How would you do it? The sprite in CT leaves the design open to huge interpretation.

But the sprite in CT leaves no room for confusion.  It is a rope/chain with something round dangling at the end.  It is actually a pendant.    For a random person on the street to point out Schala's pendant as a necklace is understandable.  "Necklace" has become a generic term for such jewelry.  But a pendant is a more specific type of "necklace", I doubt that a woman would brag to others "yea my husband got me this gold pendant for xmas" when it is clearly a necklace or choker - to me that sounds... awkward.  Perhaps a woman's perspective could help... where is teaflower lol      But yea, calling a pendant a necklace, probably commonish,  but calling a necklace a pendant - hmmm strange.

Then again, they changed Schala's hair color - gotta love the "to hell with consistency" mentality. 

maybe  :D

Actually there is a difference between a pendent and a necklace.

Pendent
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pendant&db=luna

Necklace
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/necklace

Also even before the re-release there was a definite design for the Pendent. There were sprites and art Akira Toriama had done before the re-release. The argument you want to make is the Hero's Medal. They changed its design, but at the same time it's battle sprite (should probably be referred to as a polygon but no time to changed the worlds terminology) is the Toriama art. (another example of the art already being released before Cross)

Eske

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 21, 2009, 08:33:23 pm »
Thank you.   Though confusion amongst common folk is a possibility, CC is a professional creation. It would be a terrible blunder on their part to create such confusion.   Anyway, I think it could be settled 100% by looking at the Japanese script.  If it uses a word that translates to pendant (and not necklace), I think it would be safe to say Kid's necklace isn't supposed to be Schala's Pendant.

There is no reason why the necklace shown in the FMV has to be "the Schala's Pendant".  To me, it looks to be a simple "Kid/Schala" identifier for the player.   No need to complicate it more than that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:46:00 am by Eske »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 22, 2009, 12:24:51 am »
If the necklace is not Schala's pendant, it will be inseresting... why could they remove such an important item?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #619 on: January 22, 2009, 02:34:05 am »
The only thing that was "changed" about the Hero's Medal was the Rare Item art and I now think that's supposed to be some kind of decorative case of some kind since during battle he uses the original art version of the Medal.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 22, 2009, 01:47:35 pm »
Wait, when did the subject change to the Hero's Badge? I thought we were talking about Schala's Pendant, and its differences to both the Astral Amulet and the Amulet that Janus/Magus had.

I know it's hard to keep up when people aren't quoting everything for you and the relevance of one post to another is separated by a whole two other posts, but I believe in you, Shadow! YOU CAN DO IT!!
~V_Translanka

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 03:11:03 pm by V_Translanka »

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 22, 2009, 03:36:56 pm »

I know it's hard to keep up when people aren't quoting everything for you and the relevance of one post to another is separated by a whole two other posts, but I believe in you, Shadow! YOU CAN DO IT!!
~V_Translanka

lmfao  :mrgreen:. The little comments you leave on people's posts are priceless V.

If the necklace is not Schala's pendant, it will be inseresting... why could they remove such an important item?

Yes, that's pretty much been my point the whole time. If it's not Schala's pendant, then why didn't they include it, and why make the necklace so prominent on Kid? And why talk about the pendant in the game but never actually show it?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 22, 2009, 04:37:36 pm »
How about we throw in yet another necklace/pendant/thingy...Leah's! It gets absolutely no mention that I know of...add Leah's weirdly mysterious origin and we've got the makings for...MYSTERIOUS MYSTERIES!!! C'mon Kato...after a while it gets tiring trying to follow wtf you're trying to tell us...V_V

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 22, 2009, 05:27:45 pm »
The only thing that was "changed" about the Hero's Medal was the Rare Item art and I now think that's supposed to be some kind of decorative case of some kind since during battle he uses the original art version of the Medal.

Good point let me mention that.

Pendent
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pendant&db=luna

Necklace
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/necklace

Also even before the re-release there was a definite design for the Pendent. There were sprites and art Akira Toriama had done before the re-release. The argument you want to make is the Hero's Medal. They changed its design, but at the same time it's battle sprite (should probably be referred to as a polygon but no time to changed the worlds terminology) is the Toriama art. (another example of the art already being released before Cross)

You only see it in battle and in the rare item art. That was a really eager attack on my post. I know I've been pretty doushy towards you, but at least look at the post please. Let's forget the pendent for right now because we really have no proof other than the girl holds it in the FMV. And let's go to the start of this tangent:

How did Amnesia Magus get to Time's Eclipse?

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 22, 2009, 05:39:27 pm »
Well, to be fair, you kicked off the tangent by wondering if Eclipse Magus could be from another dimension and if that had any ties to how Kid obtained the Astral Amulet  :D. Which led to talk about the difference between the amulet and Schala's pendant, because it was fair game.

And what we've ascertained is that the Amulet =/= Schala's Pendant, and that Lucca did not create the Amulet as the Compendium holds but Kid found it sometime around the orphanage burning, which begs the question - how did Kid survive the original burning of the orphanage since Serge wasn't there to save her? Which relates to your earlier question by further elaborating it - could Amnesiac Magus have saved her?

So I don't think it was that much of a tangent after all. It would certainly be fitting for Amnesiac Magus to somehow give Kid back the Amulet that Schala originally gave him (if they are in fact the same artifact). But I think that it fits so well into Belthasar's plan that he was probably behind it. But then again, he no doubt knew about Eclipse Magus...ah - this is getting nowhere fast.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 22, 2009, 06:02:40 pm »
You only see it in battle and in the rare item art. That was a really eager attack on my post. I know I've been pretty doushy towards you, but at least look at the post please. Let's forget the pendent for right now because we really have no proof other than the girl holds it in the FMV. And let's go to the start of this tangent:

How did Amnesia Magus get to Time's Eclipse?

I didn't mean it to sound like an attack...Though I think I did misread what you said, I mainly just wanted to point out what I thought of the rare item picture of the CC Hero's Medal...y-you've been douchey towards me?

As for the Magus in Time's Eclipse...Hmmm...so far we know that to get to wherever that is you either need somewhere like Angelus Errere and a Time Egg or you need to...uh...what exactly does that wacky NG+ team do with the Vortexes...? They fought their doppelgangers from another timeline...basically they killed themselves, right? Maybe that created something like Angelus Errere (created because Serge was dead in one dimension)? Though the party doesn't need another Time Egg, but instead just uses...the bucket to Lavos...? Hmmm...the bucket usually sends the party to a specific time as well...I wonder...could the bucket's gate have been made specifically by Gaspar in order to someday send someone (Spekkio!?) to fight Lavos??

Alright! I've done quite a bit of speculation. I'm rather proud. Let's be friends, ZK.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I never even went over how Magus got there...!! Uh...if I continue to go by my previous logic he would have had to 1) Kill himself (...>_>) & 2) got his hands on a Time Egg?? (<_>)

We need ourselves some kinda Magus Trigger up in this bitch.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 06:06:55 pm by V_Translanka »

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 22, 2009, 06:27:25 pm »
Well I would say Belthazar was in charge with this. I would say that he some how knew that Magus's amulet could allow one to travel through dimentions. So he took the Neo-Epoch to Magus, after Lavos's defeat, and gave him a chance to save Schala/Kid, knowing he would fail to kill the Dream Devourer and uncaring if he survived. So he took Magus to the orphanage to save Kid and Magus gave her the Amulet, Magus knowing that Kid has no memories of Schala, he refused to believe that was his sister. He did not say anything to her but left her to release his anger on Belthezar, so Belthazar explain how to fix the memory problem and gave him Lucca's Time Egg, I'm assuming he keeps the furture's Time Egg with him when he goes to the past. Belthazar only tells him to kill the Dream Devourer, but says nothing about the Chrono Cross.

I didn't mean it to sound like an attack...Though I think I did misread what you said, I mainly just wanted to point out what I thought of the rare item picture of the CC Hero's Medal...y-you've been douchey towards me?

Well more sarcastic, and more on the <you fill the slogan> thread.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 06:29:18 pm by ZealKnight »

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 22, 2009, 08:17:17 pm »
Oh wait, I just thought of something. Magus wouldn't have to kill himself because he's already been killed by Lavos (or w/e happened to him originally in the K-1 timeline)...So all he'd need is a Time Egg and/or the bucket...

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 22, 2009, 10:23:38 pm »
The whole killing oneself thing is a pretty interesting concept - we never thought of that. We had a kickass thread going for awhile here:

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,6738.0.html

In which we listed all the things that were present in each trip to the DBT to try to narrow down what is absolutely necessary to go there.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 23, 2009, 12:39:09 am »

You do realize MY alleged penchant for making pointless posts is becoming true in YOUR behavior, right? In this case, it's a pointless add-on. A simple explanation as to why you were changing the subject would have sufficed. I know you're an ass sometimes, but ya gotta try to be a nice guy, and I believe in you on that, Trans. YOU CAN DO IT!!

[/offtopic]

Oh wait, I just thought of something. Magus wouldn't have to kill himself because he's already been killed by Lavos (or w/e happened to him originally in the K-1 timeline)...So all he'd need is a Time Egg and/or the bucket...

The only time in which Lavos killed Magus was in the castle during the Lavos Timeline. K-1 is CT changes + Another World events in Cross leading up to 1020 A.D. K-2 is CT changes + Home World events in Cross.

Unless, that is, you're implying that Lavos Timeline Magus (who was killed by Lavos) managed to preserve himself when his death was erased by Crono and Glenn's interruption, but then that would raise a contradiction.

Quote from: CTDS Script (English version)
Voice: Here, Lavos is no more.
This is the future in which we defeated him.

But then that's based on an assumption. So I ask: What the hell was your point in that post?