Author Topic: Denadoro mountain and Denadorite  (Read 3364 times)

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Denadoro mountain and Denadorite
« on: October 28, 2004, 11:28:09 pm »
What is the relation between Denadoro mountain from CT and the the denadorite rock in CC ?
Its interesting that denadorite loses only to rainbow shell in the quality of the weapons ad that Denadoro mountain vanish from the 1000 A.D map.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 06:13:09 pm »
Check out the entry for the SaucepanSi02, as we see from the Kitchen Utensil made of Mythril (and the names of some of the other Mythril-made weapons), Mythril is really basically just Silver...As for Denadorite...

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Saucepan_SiO2

A "saucepan" is a metal cooking pot with a long handle. Si is the Elemental Symbol for Silicon. 2 is the Atomic Number for Helium. Does this allude to Denadorite perhaps being comprised of Silicon & Helium?

So, Denadorite may be a combination of Silicon and Helium...Is there such a thing in nature...?

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 07:08:16 pm »
Wow, that's way off...

SiO2 is Silicon Dioxide, or sand. The actual granules that make up sand are actually quite strong, so if a larger chunk could be made/found, it would be quite strong as well.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 09:39:13 pm »
I was looking at it as the other Kitchen Utensils are, the number 02 being an atomic number, in this instance that of Helium...

But Silicon Dioxide makes sense...If O/0 is Oh or Zer0 though...I think that's what it'd be dependent upon...But the other Utensil that has only a single number is the Crystalpan C6, and that doesn't use a zer0 before...So, I guess Silicon Dioxide makes more sense...

I suggest you change/add to the SaucepanSi02's description, Leebot.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 11:01:47 pm »
Alright, I'll change it to my interpretation. BTW, Helium doesn't bond with anything, it can only exist as an elemental gas.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 12:06:48 am »
Mythril is NOT silver. It is, as most everyone likely knows, a reference to Tolkien's works, wherein there is a mineral known as Mithril, from the Elvish meaning "grey gleam" (see the word "Mith" in Mithrandir, Grey Wanderer, Mithlond, the Grey Havens, and "ril" in Anduril.) Anyway, this is not silver. It is called "True-Silver"; look at its description: it shines like common silver, but the Dwarves can make of it a very strong metal. I cannot quite remember the exact eloquent description that Tolkien uses, but personally, I think it might actually be titanium. Silver is not near so strong as Mithril is made out to be, but titanium is. Sure, it's not quite as shiny... but maybe an alloy? Likely there is not full true equivalent, but it is nearer titanium than silver, at any rate.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 07:16:25 am »
Perhaps the name is a throwback to Tolkien, but that doesn't mean the Square/Chronoverse Mythril (you seem to spell the Tolkien Mithril...) doesn't have to follow Tolkien's to the letter...The Mythril weapons in Cross are also called "Silver" weapons, and the Kitchen Utensil made of Mythril, the Frypan Ag47 uses not only the letters for silver, but also it's atomic no. of 47. Check THAT entry...as I believe that one's more accurate...*heh heh*

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Frypan_Ag47

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 10:35:44 am »
I believe Tolkien also referred to Mythril as "Quicksilver" from time to time.

Now, speaking from a chemist's perspective, silver is a rather poor choice for making a weapon; it bends very easily. Which is why most weapons are made of steel; it's hard to bend or break. Some descriptions of Mythril describe it as being as strong as steel but half as heavy. In reality, this describes Titanium almost perfectly, so I tend to think of Mythril as the fantasy name for Titanium. (Which is, of course, not to say that the authors of any works containing Mythril intended it to be Titanium; most likely, they made it up or considered it a mix including silver.)

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2004, 11:16:38 pm »
Quote from: Leebot
Wow, that's way off...

SiO2 is Silicon Dioxide, or sand. The actual granules that make up sand are actually quite strong, so if a larger chunk could be made/found, it would be quite strong as well.

Maybe Denadoro is a large chunk of SiO2, and maybe Porre used it.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 12:57:09 am »
I believe Tolkien also referred to Mythril as "Quicksilver" from time to time.

True-silver. I'll see if I can find a quote...
'The wealth of Moria was not in gold or jewels, the toys of the Dwarves; nor in iron, their servant. Such things they found here, it is true, especially iron; but they did not need to delve for them: all things that they desired they could obtain in traffic. For here alone in the world was found Moria-silver, or true-silver as some have called it: mithril is the Elvish name. The Dwarves have a name which they do not tell. Its worth was ten times that of gold, and now is beyond price; for little is left above ground, and even the Orcs dare not delve for it here.'

Now, speaking from a chemist's perspective, silver is a rather poor choice for making a weapon; it bends very easily. Which is why most weapons are made of steel; it's hard to bend or break. Some descriptions of Mythril describe it as being as strong as steel but half as heavy. In reality, this describes Titanium almost perfectly, so I tend to think of Mythril as the fantasy name for Titanium. (Which is, of course, not to say that the authors of any works containing Mythril intended it to be Titanium; most likely, they made it up or considered it a mix including silver.)

I would think titanium still seems nearest, but it is not right on, either. As Gandalf says:
'Mithril! All folk desired it. It could be beaten like copper, and plished like glass; and the Dwarves could make of it a metal, light and yet harder than tempered stell. Its beauty was like to that of common silver, but the beauty of mithril did not tarnish or grow dim. The Elves dearly loved it, and among many uses they made of it ithildin, starmoon, which you saw upon the doors. Bilbo had a corslet of mithril-rings that Thorin gave him.'
Anyway, that's the description of Mithril. It may just be a thing like Eol's Galvorn armour in the Silmarillion, something that has no true compare (unless you happen to know of some black metal that can be made to be both flexible and impervious.)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 02:21:29 am »
Quote from: Guardian_of_Ages
It may just be a thing like Eol's Galvorn armour in the Silmarillion, something that has no true compare (unless you happen to know of some black metal that can be made to be both flexible and impervious.)

That would be unobtainium, for those that have seen The Core.  :lol:

Such a bad movie, science-wise. My physics teacher used to go off on it in class a lot. He'd be talking about how something works, and then trail of with "As opposed to how it works in The Core..."

He once mentioned a drinking game for that movie. Something about taking a drink everytime the science goes bad, but he didn't seem to remember much of that night.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 02:37:15 am »
Yeah, I saw that. It just disgusted me after awhile; that US guy died when a geode crystal fell on his head. Lame. Everyone had to friggin die. That sucked.

However, the guy who uploaded the news story at the end -- now thats cool justice. It's like "f this man, the world can know about these heroes if they damn well please. None of this buried heroism knowing everyone owes their lives, yet getting no respect."

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2004, 09:34:08 am »
Right, I got "true-silver" mixed up with "quicksilver," which is actually a nickname for Mercury (it kind of fits, if you think about it).

Mythril may not actually be Titanium, but Tolkien may have based it off of it (I'm not too sure of the history of Titanium, but there may have been some reports on it at that time that described it as a better steel). Either way, it's by far the closest match of any existing material to Mythril, so that's how I generally think of Mythril. Of course, I can't expect the designers of CC to have this chemical perspective, so it's not surprising they'd go by Tolkien's description of it as a better silver and leave it at that.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2004, 09:54:14 pm »
Quote from: Radical_Dreamer
That would be unobtainium, for those that have seen The Core.  :lol:

Actually, unless my memory fails me, they call it "adamantanium", sort of melding together adamant and titanium. But Eol's armour certainly isn't that. He's a cunning and dark Elf, that's for sure (though not a true Avari, as it were... he went so far as Beleriand, so that makes him a Grey Elf; he's dark because, well, he hates the light and prefers the darkness and stars, as it was before the creation of the sun and moon.) Anyway, it's probably linked to his forging of the twin black swords, of whom Anglachel, the famed Black Sword of Turin, is one. That nasty blade he gave to king Thingol, who gifted it to the archer Beleg, Turin's friend, and which later came to Turin Turambar himself, who became known as the Mormaegil, the "Black Sword" by it; he later kills the dragon Glaurung with it, and finally shatters its blade by throwing himself on it in despair. But that's a side note. I was just thinking that Galvorn, maybe, was in some way connected; Anglachel means "iron of leaping flame", so named because it was forged of meteoric iron, and supposedly had the power to cleave all earth dug iron. Maybe the Galvorn is the same thing. Or, maybe, it's just a fantasy quirk. After all, Pippin, when he becomes one of the Tower Guard, is given a shirt of black mail rings; Tolkien's friend and fellow fantasy writer CS Lewis speaks of the doors at the citadel of Charn (which the queen Jadis destroys with a spell) as being perhaps made of some black metal not found in our world. Perhaps its a common thread, in that. And maybe Mithril is just that, just a fantasy thing hearkening from some old myth that Tolkien decided to use.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2004, 10:38:29 pm »
D&D mechanics split it into two different metals:

Mithral (yes, spelled that way): As steel, but lighter, and that's about it. Appears silverish.

Adamantium: Lighter than steel, but not as light as mithral. It is also significantly more powerful than steel. Appears black.

Is it just me, or in the LotR movie, wasn't Frodo's Mythril vest silver as opposed to black?