Author Topic: Chronopolis: the Chrono ARG  (Read 7225 times)

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
Re: Chronopolis: the Chrono ARG
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 05:46:00 am »
well...Let us remember that SE is not very tolerant with fan efforts, Gamestop could get in trouble and get a cease-and-desist order or something :? if this ever gets done, I think it should stay in a very small scale.

hiddensquire

• Guardian (+100)
  • Seeker of wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 07:16:12 am »
well...Let us remember that SE is not very tolerant with fan efforts, Gamestop could get in trouble and get a cease-and-desist order or something :? if this ever gets done, I think it should stay in a very small scale.

Yeah, I can see a C&D becoming far more likely if Gamestop gets involved, now that you mention it.  However, I do think it can stay on a large-ish scale without them.  We definitely are going to want more participants in the project than we are going to have organizers, you know?

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 04:12:08 pm »
Ohh, I've been wanting to try an ARG and this would be by far the funnest way of doing it. Your designs look so professional, too-- the logowork, the layouts.

I don't have any practical programming skills, but I'm cheering this the hell on.

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 07:36:42 pm »
thanks! it's good to know people would be interested   :D  but let's not get ahead of ourselves, I still think this is too difficult to actually get done any time soon, but the idea is in the air.

Quote from: Licawolf
This is just an idea for a game I’m sharing here acompanied with pretty fake screenshots, I don’t actually intend to make it real Smile Think of this as a fanart-fanfic of sorts.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 11:16:38 pm »
If you don't mind, I'd love to put this up in the features section. It's a really tantalizing idea.

hiddensquire

• Guardian (+100)
  • Seeker of wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 12:28:14 am »
thanks! it's good to know people would be interested   :D  but let's not get ahead of ourselves, I still think this is too difficult to actually get done any time soon, but the idea is in the air.

Quote from: Licawolf
This is just an idea for a game I’m sharing here acompanied with pretty fake screenshots, I don’t actually intend to make it real.  Think of this as a fanart-fanfic of sorts.

You forget the insane obsession of the Compendium, Licawolf.  We have the drive to see through an idea this awesome even if it will be fairly time-consuming.  Would you be offended if someone took what you had and started running with it?  You clearly would rather take more of a supporting role if the project were to actually get going.

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 12:53:00 am »
If you don't mind, I'd love to put this up in the features section. It's a really tantalizing idea.

wow! Please do! I'd be flattered  :)

You forget the insane obsession of the Compendium, Licawolf.  We have the drive to see through an idea this awesome even if it will be fairly time-consuming.  Would you be offended if someone took what you had and started running with it?  You clearly would rather take more of a supporting role if the project were to actually get going.

:) I guess I'm very new to the compendium, he he, I was not expecting this interest, really. I'm just a graphic designer, I feel can't do much more than this without programmers, writers, flash animators... I would LOVE to be part of this if it really gets going, but I would prefer someone else taking the lead. If there is anything I can do with my skills please let me know  :wink:

(Another reason I was taken aback by the enthusiasm of the Compendium is that I feared my english skills would get in the way of people understanding the idea. It took me days to write the description of the game :oops:  !)

EDIT: Um... I guess someone may be interested... I designed the website to be an HTML/Flash site. The designs are made in Adobe Fireworks, editable pngs, which make them compatible with Adobe Dreamweaver and Flash.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:13:53 am by Licawolf »

hiddensquire

• Guardian (+100)
  • Seeker of wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 08:58:30 am »
Excellent, excellent.  I have a couple ideas to add.

One element that I believe would really enhance the gameplay would be creating the appearance that the user has actually made a minor change to the timeline.  The easiest way to do this would be to have a few fake websites for fictional organizations ready to go online at the drop of a hat.  Once some task has been completed, ta-dah, it exists.  The next missions the user would receive would then involve either investigating the new organization(s), or changing the timeline back to a state that doesn't host the new powers.  Once they undo their timeline blunder, ta-dah again, they get a 404 error every time they try to go to the website after that.  Obviously, this plan would only work for teams of users working together in the game.  It wouldn't be worth it to create and take down a website repeatedly for every individual user that played.

Another good immersion tactic is to frequently allude to MAJOR timeline blunders that happened in the past but are now fixed.  Such alternate timelines can have rich, detailed histories that never happened.  We can have a few of these in "chronopolis records" for the dual purpose of warning agents of the gravity of the work they do, and for studying cause and effect.  The best part about this technique is that alternate histories of the earth are already all over the Internet and the majority of the population isn't familiar with them.  We can just say that those real people who are familiar with the histories are actually time travellers themselves, either fellow agents, rogue agents, or enemy agents.  If someone gets offended about borrowing their story for our game, we can just apologize and remove all references to their material, and call THAT a timeline change, or perhaps just blame the deletion on internal Chronopolis politics.  Here is a good sample alternate earth history: http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa/Game/Fukuyama/bigd.html
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 09:02:51 am by hiddensquire »

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 11:09:31 am »
Of course, Licawolf, no pressure at all. I just hoped that enough people would be interested that some momentum would develop... which has happened.  :D I'd be interested in doing some non-technical gruntwork myself, if anyone is trying to put a team together.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:44:37 pm by Syna »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 12:15:03 pm »
It'd be amazing to get vectors of those logos too, if you have them.

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 03:22:05 pm »
Any vector format is okay or you need an specific one? eps, pdf, ai?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 04:07:13 pm »
Hm, I guess whatever format is the most...hm, well, I guess vectors are already lossless...the most portable, maybe? Sigh, I wish I knew more about vector formats. WHatever you feel is best will work!

CuyahogaRiver

• Porrean (+50)
  • A pyro manic River Spirit! Setting water on fire!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 06:35:30 pm »
Looks really cool, but I can not figure out what it is? Can you explain it to me.

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 07:28:39 pm »
Hm, I guess whatever format is the most...hm, well, I guess vectors are already lossless...the most portable, maybe? Sigh, I wish I knew more about vector formats. WHatever you feel is best will work!
Ok, here it goes

CuyahogaRiver

• Porrean (+50)
  • A pyro manic River Spirit! Setting water on fire!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 07:42:34 pm »
Is this a game in progress, i am still confused as to what this is ?