Author Topic: are healing techs water magic?  (Read 877 times)

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
are healing techs water magic?
« on: December 12, 2011, 01:27:32 am »
this is based on my replies about the encyclopedia, which has conflicting information on this.

is healing water based?

frog and marle are healers, so it fits there. Robo uses shadow, as well as fire and lightning in his techs, so why not water?

the only exceptions to this are Chrono's Life and Ayla's Kiss. since Lightning is really Sky/Heavens, it's not that much of an exception. also, Slash is more wind based than purely lightning, and a wind sprite represents Chrono's branch of magic.
Which leaves Ayla's Kiss. also, is Ayla's Charm physical or status effecting?

different guides have different interpretations of this. I figure that if there's anywhere to ask very specific Chrono Trigger questions, it's this site.

mods: if this belongs in enhasa halls, feel free to move it there.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
Re: are healing techs water magic?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 04:48:01 pm »
Since status effecting spells aren't elemental, I figure healing spells are a separate branch, too.

I don't think we're meant to view Aura, Slurp, and Kiss as full-on magic, at least before the characters learn proper magic. It's easier to think of them more as morale boosters or warm-and-fuzzies, not things that can literally fix wounds.

Charm is just Steal that takes up MP.

As for Robo, I've started thinking about his healing "magic" as being a kind of enertron gun. That's stupid, yes, but more feasible than magic robots.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: are healing techs water magic?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 06:06:03 pm »
Since status effecting spells aren't elemental, I figure healing spells are a separate branch, too.

I don't think we're meant to view Aura, Slurp, and Kiss as full-on magic, at least before the characters learn proper magic. It's easier to think of them more as morale boosters or warm-and-fuzzies, not things that can literally fix wounds.

Charm is just Steal that takes up MP.

As for Robo, I've started thinking about his healing "magic" as being a kind of enertron gun. That's stupid, yes, but more feasible than magic robots.

Indeed. But one thing that had me thinking was that early techs like Slash and Flame Toss do magical damage.

Robo can't use magic, but apparently his weapons and systems can have an equivalent effect, as Spekkio says.  you could go either way with that.