Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 168612 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #645 on: May 14, 2008, 02:45:44 pm »
I hate it when you have a great idea and someone makes it.  Like if you have an idea for invention or a movie, and then a while later a similar invention or story crops up.

Makes me wanna kick myself in the shins.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #646 on: May 14, 2008, 11:09:17 pm »
Well, as we see it BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, are the 'West' as a whole. The rest of the provinces are the *shudder* East. Heh. Yes, East and West have a bit of a rivalry going on. Namely their political centre over there in Ottawa is taking advantage of our economy out here in the west. Hmph.

Anyway, yeah, anything west of Ontario is considered the West as a whole.

And as it is, I do have a certain affinity for BC. I WAS born there, and the hill countries have always had a bit of a larger share of my heart than the prairies. It's too... flat hereabouts.

Ah, see by my way of thinking, only states/provinces that touch an ocean are East or West, with everything else being fly-over. I guess there's no analagous notion in Canada.

BC is quite beautiful. The mountain views from Vancouver are fantastic, and I hear that Vancouver Island is prettier still.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 15, 2008, 10:18:30 am »
Well, as we see it BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, are the 'West' as a whole. The rest of the provinces are the *shudder* East. Heh. Yes, East and West have a bit of a rivalry going on. Namely their political centre over there in Ottawa is taking advantage of our economy out here in the west. Hmph.

Anyway, yeah, anything west of Ontario is considered the West as a whole.

And as it is, I do have a certain affinity for BC. I WAS born there, and the hill countries have always had a bit of a larger share of my heart than the prairies. It's too... flat hereabouts.

Ah, see by my way of thinking, only states/provinces that touch an ocean are East or West, with everything else being fly-over. I guess there's no analagous notion in Canada.

BC is quite beautiful. The mountain views from Vancouver are fantastic, and I hear that Vancouver Island is prettier still.

Isn't it more common to call the ocean touching states/provinces "East Coast" and "West Coast"?  Then there is the West, Central and Eastern parts.  Or mid-west/heartland for the States..

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 15, 2008, 10:56:57 am »
Actually, for the United States, sane people call the west coast area the western part of the United States, but people on the East coast aren't sane. Ohio, a state rather clearly in the eastern half of the United States, is a "mid-western" state. Texas, which is about in the center of the United States, is a Southern State. Colorado, which is physically in the western part of the middle of the United States, is a western state.

I guess that makes California the Far West, then, and people in Massachusetts must think that Hawaii is destroyed every evening when the sun lands on it, it is that far west.

It is slightly comforting to know that Americans aren't the only ones confused by the geography of their own nation.

Side note: Daniel, I quite understand. I was born on the American West Coast and moutains are a beautiful thing. I now live in what used to be prairie land. First time I came here I couldn't figure out what was so fundamentally wrong with the environment until someone pointed out that there are no mountains in sight. *sighs* I want to see mountains again, Gandalf, mountains.

And BC is one of the world’s most beautiful places.

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 15, 2008, 11:01:37 am »
And BC is one of the world’s most beautiful places.

It is in our top 3 choices of where we plan on moving after university.  Too bad it is one of the most, if not the most, expensive place to live in Canada...

And there are too many States, for my liking.  Too many chefs in the kitchen. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 11:04:37 am by placidchap »

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 15, 2008, 11:11:21 am »
Actually, for the United States, sane people call the west coast area the western part of the United States, but people on the East coast aren't sane. Ohio, a state rather clearly in the eastern half of the United States, is a "mid-western" state. Texas, which is about in the center of the United States, is a Southern State. Colorado, which is physically in the western part of the middle of the United States, is a western state.

I guess that makes California the Far West, then, and people in Massachusetts must think that Hawaii is destroyed every evening when the sun lands on it, it is that far west.

The only reason most of the states have weird names, was when they actually became states.

Like for Ohio for instance its in the mid-west because at the time in 1803 the "west" was simply all the land unexplored in the west, and Ohio was a mid-way point between the the east coast and the "west". The name just stuck I think.

Same with Texas. It was admitted to the US as a slave state, and the slave states were general referred to as the south. Hence to this day Texas is in the South.

All the weirdness, wasn't so weird back in the day. And since people don't like to change names and such, it is stuck to this day.

Why do you think we haven't converted to the much easier metric system?

I for one would like to join the rest of the world and use the same measuring system lol.

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 15, 2008, 12:50:44 pm »
I hate when networks cancel shows that I like, when it only has 13 million viewers. *cough* Shark *cough*

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 15, 2008, 01:25:59 pm »
Like for Ohio for instance its in the mid-west because at the time in 1803 the "west" was simply all the land unexplored in the west, and Ohio was a mid-way point between the the east coast and the "west". The name just stuck I think.

"West" only sort of stuck. Ohio, which is definitely in the east, is a "Midwestern" state, so "west" stuck, but the perception of the "west" is a powerful one in American history (indeed, the "closing of the west" is usually seen as a significant landmark in American history). Eventually, when Ohio became developed, people wanted to get away from it all (again) and so what did they do? They packed things up and headed west! They went west from the west into the west, but not usually too far west, as later other people would head west from that west to a new west. Even while calling Ohio the west or Midwest, people knew quite well that it was neither mid nor west (sounds like a topic for Coffee Talk).

All the weirdness, wasn't so weird back in the day. And since people don't like to change names and such, it is stuck to this day.

Not entirely true. Even old New York was once New Amsterdam. Why they changed it, I can't say. I guess they just like it better that way.

Why do you think we haven't converted to the much easier metric system?

Because it is the tool of the devil? My car gets thirty rods to the hog's head and that's the way I's likes it.

It is actually rather amusing. The government can institute all sorts of uniformity (such as with the coming switch to digital TV signals), but switching to the metric system? Bah.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 15, 2008, 01:30:17 pm »

Not entirely true. Even old New York was once New Amsterdam. Why they changed it, I can't say. I guess they just like it better that way.

Because once it was taken over by the British, they renamed the city in honor of the King's brother, James, who was the Duke of York.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 15, 2008, 01:35:14 pm »

Because once it was taken over by the British, they renamed the city in honor of the King's brother, James, who was the Duke of York.

Yes, but that is much harder to put to music.

I hate when networks cancel shows that I like, when it only has 13 million viewers. *cough* Shark *cough*

Meh. The Network cancaled Firefly, which is quite possibly one of the best pieces of science fiction ever (in any media form). After that, I wouldn't be surprised if a network would cancel broadcasting the second coming.

"The New Report Special, the Return of Jesus Our Lord and Savior, will not be shown tonight so that instead we may bring you this emergency episode of Farmer Wants a Sister."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 02:20:43 pm by Thought »

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 15, 2008, 07:34:14 pm »
I hate it when people actually take the time to comment on a youtube video and say "oh it sucks! blah blah!" when they were the ones looking for it in the first place! Damn hypocrites!

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 15, 2008, 08:36:50 pm »

Yes, but that is much harder to put to music.
I saw that coming. :D

Comments are great though

A)okay they called it constanopole for a reason u idots. but then the turks called it Istanbule. Gosh u ppl are stupid

B)Hypocrite much? Any intelligent person would actually say an argument and leave it at that without flinging pointless insults around that contribute nothing to the debate. Let's also not forget that you don't feel like taking the milliseconds to spell out most words, which just makes your post look stupid. You didn't capitolize the beginnings of your first two sentences, and you spelled "Istanbul" wrong.

C)Wow. Thanks, Youtube. You're probably the only place I can go to witness a modern religious/cultural debate take place in the comments for a song that was written in 1929.

D)I prefer Byzantium.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 16, 2008, 12:52:27 am »
 :lol: :lol:  :lol:

Now I got what you meant.

Thought is a sly bastard. Very sneaksy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsAiCs66l40&feature=related

Still one of my favorite songs, since I heard it when I was little and Tiny Toon Adventures was still a new show lol.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 12:56:03 am by Glennleo »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 16, 2008, 10:32:50 am »
Sad thing in, Constantinople is Istanbul and it was even back in the day. Like Rome before it, people just called Constantinople "The City," except, you know, in Greek. So when people were going "to/in the city" they were "eis ten Polin"
(εις την Πόλιν). Or, in other words, Is-ten-Pol. But that is enough history for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsAiCs66l40&feature=related

Still one of my favorite songs, since I heard it when I was little and Tiny Toon Adventures was still a new show lol.

Ah, that brings back memories. Actually, Tiny Toons is where I first heard Constantinople, too. Now if only there was a music video of James K Polk starring Plucky Duck...

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 16, 2008, 02:03:05 pm »
This is a love/hate relationship:  Holiday weekends.  Great for relaxing, bad if you need to do something.  it is either overcrowded where ever you go or it is closed!  But I think I will enjoy this one, first since the school year ended!