Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Retranslation Scripts & Guides Released  (Read 3676 times)

Kara Kazeneko

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • Kara's DeviantArt Page
Re: Chrono Trigger Retranslation Scripts & Guides Released
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 10:10:26 pm »
This is... this is just too awesome for words. So much was changed, especially about
the characters (yes! I knew Marle wasn't that much of a cocky brat - she does have
some regal aire about her; and jeez, editing out Magus mentioning the black wind in
talking to Ozzie... that was lame and an insult to Horii-san).

Hmmm. Maybe I can revive the old fanfic I planned to do that involves the heroes
of CT and their children (I called it "Justin's Tale"; Justin being Crono's son). And
this time, have a cooler title and have everything truly be canon... what great joy.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 10:16:31 pm »
Don't look down on Ted Woolsey just yet, Kara. Remember, he had serious time constraints--a period of thirty days to translate the entire game script, and believe me, that is NOT a lot of time for this kind of thing--plus Nintendo of America's ridiculous censorship policies AND textual limitations...he did a damned fine job under the circumstances. KWhazit simply completed the job Ted Woolsey was unable to do under the circumstances of his situation.

Kara Kazeneko

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • Kara's DeviantArt Page
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 10:39:28 pm »
Nintendo of America's ridiculous censorship policies

What I hate the most indeed. It is because of this crap that they RUINED Tales of Phantasia (which is why I am so grateful to have played the Rom of that game before getting the GBA version). They are so obsessed with being a "family company" that they eliminate any and often all mature or adult jokes out of some games. Oh, and they screwed up on one of the characters' names in ToP. Originally, they called him "Klarth". Now the GBA game has him as being "Claus". WTF? I got too used to calling him by the former one that now the real name makes me annoyed. But that's my own fault. (translation note: it really is Claus; Nintendo screwed up back in 1995 when they first thought of bringing it out here and referred to him as Klarth).

And Tom's pretty decent at what he does. I wonder how many times he's wanted to take that censorship crap and shove it down the toilet for how it's lame-ified some games...

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 10:52:03 pm »
I can't imagine he's enjoyed it all that much...you don't know how many times I've wanted to sit down and chat with the guy about his translations...I often wonder if he keeps a more detailed script of his translations around somewhere...considering how often he's had to redo his translated scripts to reduce the textual content it wouldn't surprise me.

Nintendo's censorship policies are just plain awful...it's the same idea that causes animes to be translated poorly--because the idea is that cartoons, video games, comic books...they're all for kids. They can't possibly be enjoyed by adults is their attitude...it sickens me...of course I have it doubly bad because I also hate any form of censorship...that's why I'm so grateful for KWhazits retranslation.

EDIT: Well, guess what? I just noticed a typo in the endings dialogue:

Quote from: Dialogue
[Elaine]          [Elaine]          [Fritz]             
   This is fantastic!       とってもファンタスティック![END]          It's really fantastic!          

That should say Elaine for the last line, not Frtiz. Ignore the question marks..I still haven't found new East Asian Language files yet.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 02:12:23 am by Kyronea »

cronopolis

• Porrean (+50)
  • Time travel.....pretty confusing isn't it
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 04:17:45 pm »
I know that I'm restating what's already been said but I most definetly agree with that, nintendo's outlook on what age based group of people can enjoy games is really annoying, I can think of plenty of games where if they had gone alittle more serious with text and story line, they could have made an overall better game, but instead they always seem to come up short handed to keep the companies standerd of decency which really screws with the game as a whole :?  As for the translations, I find it really hard to find these kindda things everywhere you look, even on google :(