Author Topic: The Glenn Thread  (Read 25627 times)

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: The Glenn Thread
« Reply #300 on: April 13, 2009, 07:16:51 pm »
Here's a partial frame list I was working on a while ago, and a list of which frames each animation uses.

I listed frame $50 as "Thinking, facing up". Probably correct, as his animation data for thinking uses that frame.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 07:24:58 pm by Vehek »

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 13, 2009, 07:48:54 pm »
Here's the graphics for the idle/walking/running frames. In Glenn-88percent-3.png, the frames concerned are correctly aligned on a grid (use the grid feature in Photoshop or the program you're using). I noted which frames are used for running because they share some frames with the walking animation. Also note that the tile with just one black dot near the top left corner is very useful.

Question on the sprite sheet.  Is Glenn using the wrong hand for his sword?

Yeah, there has always been inconstencies in Frog's dominant hand. Most artworks + the PSX FMVs depict him as right-handed, but one artwork + his actual spriteset depict him as left-handed. However, the human Glenn spriteset has his sword sheath pointing to the right shoulder, so I made him right-handed. If he were left-handed his sheath would have pointed to the left shoulder. But who knows, maybe he's just ambidextrous...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 07:52:10 pm by Chrono'99 »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 13, 2009, 08:28:27 pm »
ok if were not going to put a blank tile in the upper left corner you need to tell me where it is....every single frame is going to have blank tiles so it really is super useful to just make it 0/0, that being said it can be anywhere just let me know which one it's going to be. 

--JP

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 13, 2009, 08:31:30 pm »
There is a blank tile in that corner. As I said, you will have to zoom in and out a lot.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 13, 2009, 08:42:28 pm »
Didn't you say above that it has a black dot?

Also note that the tile with just one black dot near the top left corner is very useful.

I thought maybe it was suppose to be some sort of shador of something...
--JP

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 13, 2009, 09:12:47 pm »
The tile with the black dot is 3 tiles down from the top left corner. I just noted that it's useful because several frames make use of it (the sword hilt above it too).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 09:15:44 pm by Chrono'99 »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 13, 2009, 10:08:47 pm »
ahhh i see thanks for pointing that out (totally would have missed it).  You'll definitely have to give it a run through once i finish to make sure I caught everything.

--JP

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 13, 2009, 11:44:06 pm »
this patch puts in a walking glenn I know i said I running but things came up....few things:

a)  I suck at pallettes I guess.....I don't know how to make it make the color I want the "invisible color" and I assume that's the reason a bunch of glenn shows up as a ghost..:-/
b) I made a few updates to the editor, i'll post it tonight when I can test it more
c) the patch is editing a part of the rom I didn't expect it to..tomorrow I'll cut out this section from lunar IPS

1C7468     274    No     00001AFF-00001D77      279

Glenn starts at 1C7490 so I dont know what's up with that.  When all is said and done we'll have to double check that we only edited stuff that we mean too.  LIke i mentioned above 99, eventually you'll need to just step through each frame (like you wouldn't have anyways :) ) to make sure everything is what you expected.

If someone could fix the pallette that'd make me a very happy man :)

--JP

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 13, 2009, 11:56:45 pm »
Sprite palettes are notoriously difficult. It's probably not a fault of your palette hacking, but rather the graphic that was inserted into the ROM; each pixel has to "point" to the correct color on a 12-out-of-16 color palette. At least that's how it works for a .BMP insert. I think justin and Vehek typically use .PNGs, and furthermore, they may have a way of working with palettes right in Tile Molester.

Don't worry a bit about getting the palette correct right now, unless it's really driving you up the wall visually. As long as the source image is 12 colors (minus the weapon, which has to be nulled out color-wise IIRC), it's just a matter of reordering the palette even if the image is chopped up into little bits. We could always do a re-insert of the chopped-up source image at any point after working with the source image's palette in an image editing program.

I could work with the palette late tomorrow night/early Wednesday morning (depending on one's time zone of course), if you like.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:58:41 pm by FaustWolf »

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 14, 2009, 12:22:32 am »
PNG is the best way to go IMO.  Palettes were somewhat of a bitch to work with as well in my case.  Best bet is to import Glenn into the game without a palette change, screenshot it and open it up with PSP.  Then get a pic of the correct palette and compare what colors should be changed.  Open the rom in SNESPAL and locate the palette.  Change what color corresponds to the correct color.  It's rather quick and easy to do it that way.

If you don't know what I'm saying, here's an example.

- Apparently the little cursor got cut off, but it's pointing to his skin palette.

Edit 2: Jsondag, I see what you did wrong.  Here's what to do:

Steps
==============
1) Open Tile Molester
2) Open the Rom
3) Set the palette (via SNESPAL.  IF not, then load up Frog's palette) To Do so, get a savestate of him being able to be seen.  Then when in Tile Molester, click Palette --> Import From --> Another File.  Load the savestate and press the BIG BLUE ARROWS on the bottom of the screen and scroll until it gets the palette you want
4) Import Glenn's sprites into the TM and save etc etc.

Let me fix the palette for you Json.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 12:27:20 am by justin3009 »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 14, 2009, 12:24:53 am »
Aha, so that's how you've done it all along. That way you can cut out the palette-guesswork step. Neato!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 01:38:07 am by FaustWolf »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 14, 2009, 12:26:55 am »
yea i know it's not a big deal I just want to see the fruits of my labors :)  If you get the pallette working you can just tell me what RGB values you used and I can insert them at any point or you can just you know do a checkout, put in the pallettes, check in.

Anyways my friend i was going to hang out with got held up at work (i took a half day today cause it's my BDay ) for a little bit  there so I had some extra time and inserted the running animations The running is actually a little choppy..i have to run but maybe I inserted the wrong animations (2/4 of the runs are from the walking).  

All these frams are most definitely going to need a second, third and 4th pair of eyes going over them. But as you can see I can insert these things super duper fast.

--JP

Just saw Justins post:  I'll take another whack tomorrow unless FW beats me to it. I am using a png file though (what 99 posted above).  

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 14, 2009, 12:46:10 am »
Palette's fixed.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 01:01:01 am by justin3009 »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 14, 2009, 02:24:02 am »
Justin exactly what did you change in the latest patch?  My patch is 8 KB and yours is 50?

--JP

EDIT: I also applied the patch and none of the changes I made seem to be in it....it's still frog running around but now his pallette is wrong.  I also tried copying over the palette in your patch to my old one (24005E -> 240074) and had no luck....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 02:35:23 am by jsondag2 »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 14, 2009, 04:49:22 am »
OK here's an updated sprite assembly program and palette fix for glenn.  He looks pretty cool :)

Program New Features:

* Added "Mirror" button  to mirror all 4 super tiles (incredibly useful haha)
* Made the Working Buffer box editable so you can just copy paste your raw hex code in ( you can really screw things up with that so be careful)
* Added more large shift shortcuts you can now shift left/right/down and up a super tile at a time (really useful when combined with mirror)
* Made the "set shift" boxes hexadecimal instead of decimal.

For the palette fix i had to change chrono'99's "background" to black (RGB = 0,0,0).  I did this because that's what frogs original "transparent" color was.  I dont know  if were allowed to change this transperant color  (is it shared with other sprites) or if this is going to cause problems later on but it did fix the issue in my patch. 

Right now glenn has this ugly i tanned to much orange color...but I can't find this color in snespal, (it does show up in tilemolester though) if we can change that to his normal skin color I think were good to go? Does anyone know where it would be? it's the very last color in tilemolester but tilemolester shows 16 colors.  In FW guide it looks like we don't have enough room for that many colors....

04   242A08   240060   24005E < -- beginning
05   242A0A   240078   240076 < -- end?

--JP