Author Topic: Chrono Cross level screenshots and world map  (Read 2299 times)

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
Chrono Cross level screenshots and world map
« on: May 14, 2008, 05:14:59 am »
Does anyone have clean screenshots from the levels of Chrono Cross? Without sprites and monsters and stuff on it. I'd especially like the Chronopolis and Dead Sea maps. Also the world map of El Nido.

I saw two of them, Van's Room and Nadia's Bell. I wonder who took these and how they did it. How can you remove the characters and monsters from the screen so you can take a proper screenshot? I found the two of them here, have a look.

http://justrob.deviantart.com/art/Van-s-Room-78605592
http://justrob.deviantart.com/art/Nadia-s-Bell-78605318

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Cross level screenshots and world map
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 09:32:25 am »
Might've been snatched from the Compendium, I'm pretty sure ZeaLitY ripped those with Agemo's VRAM viewer. If you'd like, I'll give you the instructions for ripping images with VRAM, but it's SO much easier just to get the files from the Terminus Traductions dumper.

EDIT: If you happen to have Photoshop, you can easily assemble the images and palettes given by the "Ramsus-Yazoo Dumper," as I've been calling one of the two main working Terminus Traductions toolsets floating around, because it creates Photoshop-specific .act files for palettes. I've put up all the Dead Sea graphics here with Photoshop and raw data palettes, and I'll either get around to assembling them with TileMolester or provide TileMolester training to anyone who's willing to learn how to combine raw palettes and image data.

http://rapidshare.com/files/114836037/Dead_Sea_Graphics.zip.html

If you want to try the VRAM viewer method, here's the tutorial I learned from:
http://www.dragon-tear.net/forum/showpost.php?p=188751&postcount=23

« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:13:15 am by FaustWolf »

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 10:49:30 am »
Thanks for the files, but I don't really know how to use em. I got PS, but I can't open the palette file and for the .raw files I must give dimensions, but since I don't know what those are the images are either too big or too small. Also theyre some weird black and white thingies I don't get.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 01:50:23 pm »
Dimensions should be 256 (height) by 128 (width) pixels. Give the VRAM viewer tutorial in my previous post a try, since that's the easiest way of getting these at the moment, if all you want is a couple of specific backgrounds.

I have yet figure out the exact scheme by which the raw palette data (it's actually a Color Lookup Table methinks) works with the raw image data. I believe the images are CLUT-less .TIM files and that each pixel points backward into the "disembodied" CLUT that sits atop the images as stored in the game image. What I'm not sure about at the moment is, given that the "1pal" files are of varying size, if I just smushed all the files back together in the same way they are stored in the game image, whether they would turn out properly in TileMolester if I just specify different starting addresses for the palette. Argh, that probably didn't make a lick of sense, but I'll let you know how it works out when I give it a go.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 04:01:23 pm »
Can you give a dl link for Vram?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 04:25:12 pm »
Here's the VRAM viewer that tutorial at Dragon-Tear.net references:
http://www.romhacking.net/utils/442/

Readme's in Chinese. Have fun!

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 05:15:46 pm »
Cool, I love chinese

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 09:12:22 pm »
Ok I kinda don't get the point. First off it's kinda hard to find the right "clut". But even if you do, what's the use? You only get the tiles. I need the whole maps. Or are you serious in that you need to put all those 16x16 tiles together to form the map?

Anyway, can't someone else do this? I really can't figure it out.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 09:59:02 pm »
Welcome to the hacker's world! :D Yes, finding the right CLUT with VRAM viewer is extremely tedious, and yes, you have to assemble the tiles essentially. That's how ZeaLitY got the rips you saw earler. No pain, no gain. As things currently stand, if you use the raw data/Tile Molester method, you still have the assembly problem:

EDIT: Image now in its native size. Should be General Viper's quarters.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 10:08:30 am by FaustWolf »

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 12:53:06 am »
I can't click the thumbnail :P