Author Topic: Recommended SNES RPGs  (Read 6016 times)

DarkEpoch7

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended SNES RPGs
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 03:53:30 pm »
Woo! I get a crown(Though I'm still a gray-skinned midget with black nipples)! So I was reading about Terranigma somewhere and they said it was part of a series of three, the otehr two being Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia. Some of you guys recommended Illusion of Gaia, but what of Soul Blazer? Is it any good?

Ramsus

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 05:51:08 pm »
Woo! I get a crown(Though I'm still a gray-skinned midget with black nipples)! So I was reading about Terranigma somewhere and they said it was part of a series of three, the otehr two being Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia. Some of you guys recommended Illusion of Gaia, but what of Soul Blazer? Is it any good?

No. Leave Soul Blazer alone, back in the dark well where it belongs.

DarkEpoch7

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 07:17:05 pm »
Oh, ok thanks for the heads-up. Do I need to play them in order to underatand it? Like can I play Terranigma first? Or are they even related in any way storywise?

Ramsus

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 01:26:38 am »
I never played Illusian of Gaia, but I don't think it'd make a difference. The story between Terranigma and Soul Blazer seemed about as closely related as your typical Final Fantasy game is to each of its sequels.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 01:29:06 am »

No. Leave Soul Blazer alone, back in the dark well where it belongs.
Soul Blazer is ok, but nothing compared to the other two.
Oh, ok thanks for the heads-up. Do I need to play them in order to underatand it? Like can I play Terranigma first? Or are they even related in any way storywise?
Yeah, you will get it (except for a few in-jokes, but some come from Soul Blazer too, and you aren't playing that), but the game will be much more enchanting if you play Illusion first, as the ending of Illusion sort of connects to Terranigma. Amazing ending, it has.

Just a couple of screenshots. They don't portray the entire dialogue so get the game quickly!
Oh, and Terrangima has the most awesome music at the end I believe, or somewhere. Probably before you get the second little monster thing.
Quote from: Wikipedia
Terranigma is often considered to be part of a trilogy with Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia due to common elements present in the three games. These include a dog named Turbo showing up, the presence of dark and light Gaia, and certain locations reappearing such as Mu and South Cape. The ending to Illusion of Gaia suggests a modern world similar to the one in Terranigma, although none of the characters make an appearance. Soul Blazer features similar gameplay elements to Terranigma in resurrecting aspects of different worlds, and Illusion of Gaia has a similar combat and message system in some ways, and shares similar themes about balancing light and darkness.
Thanks to VGMuseum for these screeshots

DarkEpoch7

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 04:39:20 pm »
Oh, ok. I guess I might try Soul Blazer. And I'll play Illusion before Terranigma. Also, Terranigma does have great music.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2006, 07:42:45 pm »

The only Super Nintendo/Super Famicom games that I'd suggest that haven't already been would be Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia. Both are great RPGs, and SO even contains a bit of time traveling...but ToP is flawed in it's great abundance of random battles...Both are SF games that have fan-translation patches (actually, pre-patched ROMs are commonplace now for those two)...

I'd also back up the previous suggestions of Live-a-Live, easily Square's best RPG w/o a NA release...It has SRPG elements in it's simplistic little, but unique battle system, a storyline that takes place between various characters that you choose from (ala SaGa Frontier) and in various time periods...It's good stuff w/a few pop-culture references (go 2001: A Space Odyssey!)...

Both Breath of Fire and Breath of Fire II are good games...II being the better (but I think the PSX III is far superior to either)...

Seiken Densetsu III (aka Secret of Mana II) is a lot better than Seiken Densetsu II/Secret of Mana since it actually has a decent amount of character development and ok storylines...But, if you want to play Seiken Densetsu (aka Final Fantasy Adventure for the Gameboy), I'd suggest that you just play Sword of Mana instead, which was a brilliant remake for the GBA.

Earthbound/Mother II is a great modern day-setting (probably the best in such an era that I've seen) RPG...I'd even suggest playing the old Famicom Mother (aka Earthbound ZERO)...Which is certainly one of the best 8-Bit RPGs of all time...

Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia II: The Rise of the Sinistrals are also two great 16-bit RPGs...If you've played and liked one, you should definately play the other because you'll probably like it just as much...

Bahamut Lagoon is a great 16-bit SRPG from Square...But, it fails where many SRPGs (and Chrono Cross...>_>) fail in that w/ having so many characters, it becomes difficult to have decent amounts of character development for each...but it does an ok job of this by allowing crew interactions between battles and such...

Of course, Chrono Trigger, FFIV, and FFVI are all great games as well...

P.S. I'd like to thank Google for making this post as IMG-y as possible. >_>
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 07:52:50 pm by V_Translanka »

Ale of Valhalla

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2006, 10:53:27 pm »
I hear a lot of FFVI and FF IV, and I've played both and both are great, but what of V? I've heard it's the worst of the three, and also that it's the single worst FF. Anybody wanna back this up?

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2006, 11:50:57 pm »
By the way. if you are thinking about getting FF3, STOP! Instead, buy a DS (a lifetime investment!) and wait for FF3 Remake on DS.

Or you can always get the GBA versions of 5 & 6, but...2D!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 12:15:10 am by Burning Zeppelin »

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006, 02:57:25 am »
FF5 isn't bad, it's just hard, and the story isn't up to par.  FF8 and FF10-2 are the worst of what I've played.

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2006, 03:33:50 am »
FF5 isn't bad, it's just hard, and the story isn't up to par.  FF8 and FF10-2 are the worst of what I've played.

Are you kidding? FF8 is secondly only to FF7! But I agree about FFX-2 for being the worst.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2006, 01:05:13 pm »
I agree with Sentenal, FF8 was horrible. Luckly, since the games aren't true sequels, I would recomend you skip that one.

Anyways, Live-A-Live is an awesome SNES RPG. Tough, but very good.

And I liked Soul Blazer! :evil:

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2006, 05:34:03 pm »
FFIII wasn't a SNES/SF game, BZ...But it just so happens to be one of the greatest 8-Bit RPGs of all time (and not just because the selection is so limited)...But, yes, I'd also try the DS version...

About FFV...It doesn't "suck" per say...It certainly isn't as good as IV or VI...And, did Sentenal just say that it's hard??? That's whack. It's far easier than, say, FFIV...Especially around the end when you get the Mime class...and when you've totally uber-ized your Bare class...It's not hard as long as you have a basic understanding of the FF Job Class system...It's real flaw is that the character development and the storyline aren't as up to par as it's 16-Bit brethren...

And shall we not make this a discussion of the PSX and PS2 FFs, hmm?? Since that isn't what this thread is about...>_>

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2006, 10:23:29 pm »
Blah blah blah. FF3 is awesome, nonetheless.
FF8 is the sort of game that is either proclaimed one of the BEST or one of the WORST. FF9 is usually said to be the worst. I quite like it, though the parallels to FF7 are totally obvious.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2006, 10:25:51 pm »
FF9 has way too many references to other games though. It felt like it was one big cameo spot.

Earthbound was a fun game, but it was too easy to make a lot of money in it.

Try some Dragon Quest games on the SNES, they remade a bunch of them.