Author Topic: Sooo... a music thread! (V SAYS: DO NOT JUST MAKE A LIST)  (Read 10762 times)

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
Re: Sooo... a music thread! (V SAYS: DO NOT JUST MAKE A LIST)
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2011, 07:08:04 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVpl-RNzdE4

Saint-Saens "Aquarium" Movement from Le Carnaval Des Animaux in one of the most beautiful, yet mysterious piece ever to grace my ears. Picture, if you will. strings without the double-bass, a pair of pianos, a flute, and glass harmonica. It's one of the more musically rich movements. The melody is played by the flute, backed by the strings, on top of glissando runs in the piano. The first piano plays a descending ten-on-one ostinato, while the second plays a six-on-one. These figures, plus the occasional glissando from the glass harmonica, are evocative of a peaceful, dimly-lit aquarium. To me, it kind of sounds like something Tim Burton could easily slip into one of movies without you noticing it.

It was the opening theme to Terrence Malick's "Days of Heaven" film. Truly, one of the most beautifully filmed movies of the 70s, and living proof that powerful symbolic imagery can easily overtake conventional dialogue and plotting, especially since it won the Academy Award for Best Cinematography and being included in the National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2011, 12:58:21 pm »
"Carnival of the Animals" is amazing! I was first exposed to it through Fantasia and the obvious influences on Beauty and the Beast. Glass harmonicas are so elegant. (Malick is a favorite, too, and from my neck of the woods besides; I'm looking forward to "Tree of Life.")

As of yesterday, I dig Concrete Blonde.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlBx4-7hqW4

This song is from the AIDS era and it shows, but I feel that a lot of the disenchantment has carried over to today.
And they also do a pretty mean ass-kicking vampire song; I thought it was silly and stereotypical until the raucous chorus: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOn1037ZLwA

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2011, 09:56:01 pm »
This is the best.

[youtube]73n7HTcmb5g[/youtube]

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2011, 12:16:16 am »
Oooh, I need to brush up on Saint-Saens! I'm now obligated to post his "Dans Macabre." Why no RPG has used this for a snow dungeon yet boggles the mind.

I was looking into Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5 recently, and the linked part got me wondering whether it influenced Noriyuki Iwadare in creating...

[youtube]FOp16wB0cVM[/youtube]

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2011, 12:39:51 pm »
From the Knife's opera adaptation of Darwin's Origin of Species (yes you heard me):

[youtube]ezut4049mcM[/youtube]

This is very, very peculiar. I love the Knife, I love Karin Dreijer Andersson, and I love opera. YMMV.

Personally, it reminds me of some kind of spectral avian ceremony on Venus.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2011, 01:44:04 am »
[youtube]V4hoYGlKhik&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]
I love how I can find remixes of the music I like, in the genre of music I like best. Damn, this is beautiful. But really, what genre would you classify this as? Acid jazz? Ah, how I wish I could just plug this into Pandora and listen to the music flow in...

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2011, 04:28:32 am »
Graves- Ophelia

I happened upon this while on a Misfits tangent and looked up some of what Michale Graves had done post-Misfits. It's actually quite good, despite how many people hate him for taking Danzig's place.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2011, 06:56:53 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVpl-RNzdE4

Saint-Saens "Aquarium" Movement from Le Carnaval Des Animaux in one of the most beautiful, yet mysterious piece ever to grace my ears. Picture, if you will. strings without the double-bass, a pair of pianos, a flute, and glass harmonica. It's one of the more musically rich movements. The melody is played by the flute, backed by the strings, on top of glissando runs in the piano. The first piano plays a descending ten-on-one ostinato, while the second plays a six-on-one. These figures, plus the occasional glissando from the glass harmonica, are evocative of a peaceful, dimly-lit aquarium. To me, it kind of sounds like something Tim Burton could easily slip into one of movies without you noticing it.

It was the opening theme to Terrence Malick's "Days of Heaven" film. Truly, one of the most beautifully filmed movies of the 70s, and living proof that powerful symbolic imagery can easily overtake conventional dialogue and plotting, especially since it won the Academy Award for Best Cinematography and being included in the National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

That is my favourite movement from Le Carnaval des Animaux.  Listening to that entire suite does something a bit incredible to me--it feels as though I am actually there in the 19th century.  As if that suite is a time machine.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2011, 01:58:33 pm »
While I don't believe in relationships (i.e., girlfriend/boyfriend obligations), I still believe that any girl who's lucky enough to hang out with me deserves to have the time of her life. In that spirit, my next goal is to learn Salsa.

[youtube]iYKya8COaf0[/youtube]

Alas, I can't seem to find Benise's Alegria on Youtube.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 02:01:07 pm by tushantin »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2012, 05:03:08 pm »
Found a new singer I really like: Itō Kanako. I first heard her music when starting the anime Steins;Gate. I really like her voice.

Here's a few of her songs. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBsQYBNXbjc (opening to Steins;Gate)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ZcEXy541k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ufXdrWG5JA (sung in French!)