Author Topic: The interesting and informative links and resources thread.  (Read 22899 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: The interesting and informative links and resources thread.
« Reply #300 on: January 18, 2012, 10:02:55 pm »
The Overjustification Effect: Or, Why You're Not Happy With Your Job.

Also, Why Same-Sex Couples Make Good Parents.

I've been waiting for research along the lines of the second one for a while. It's really great that there's actual research now to use when people claim that same sex couples make horrible parents. I do find some of the metrics they use dubious (such as self-reporting for how accepting a person is), but its a good step in the right direction.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #301 on: February 11, 2012, 04:15:21 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex

I just thought that was how sneezes worked! If you felt a sneeze coming on and you looked at a light, it would make you sneeze! And I sneeze every time I go out in sunlight, too...

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #302 on: June 16, 2012, 09:13:48 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-neutral_language

Various forms of gender-neutral language became a common feature in written and spoken versions of many languages in the late twentieth century. Feminists argue that previously the practice of assigning masculine gender to generic antecedents stemmed from language reflecting "the prejudices of the society in which it evolved, and English evolved through most of its history in a male-centered, patriarchal society.

Here, we've always had problems of interpretations: when I exclaim the terms "Manly" or "Be a man", often people understand that I'm talking about Masculinity (by gender), undermining the female gender, or even encouraging people to be gay (seriously; one person did say that last one), even though I actually mean Masculinity (by human trait in both genders) and "Human". While the person saying it may have good intentions, the one listening will react due to the term's patriarchal origins.

In that case, I think the Old English terms of Wer-Man and Wyf-Man were better at describing genders, determining their egalitarian origins, especially since "Man" never really was a gender, but originally stood for "Human".

I say, as writers, we go the similar route! Change the language, and we change the world*. Should there be alternative spellings to "Man" and "Women" (Women)? If nothing else, I'm switching to (and updating) Esperanto (as if it were that easy...)

*I remember Karen once shared a book with me about these fellows destroying the English language. I forget the name...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 09:15:31 am by tushantin »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 17, 2012, 07:20:53 pm »
Today I learned a little about the "M-word" and the damage it's done to the dwarf community. There was a really poignant exchange on this subject between film critic Roger Ebert and a dwarf.

Please don't laugh. Seriously, this is important, and not to be dismissed under the much-maligned umbrella of "political correctness." Language that privileged people consider everyday jargon can have profoundly hurtful history attached to it. Besides the really obvious ones, I wonder what other terminology is floating about that has this kind of thing attached to it. Probably way more than I realize. And that's just in one language!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 09:17:17 pm by FaustWolf »

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 21, 2012, 07:56:30 pm »
well I cracked up at the bottom, when he called ebert his midga.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #305 on: June 23, 2012, 06:53:23 pm »
Interesting. I wasn't aware that "midget" was considered offensive, but the truth is I haven't spent enough time with Little People to have asked. But that being the case, I'll use it no further. Good on Ebert for amending his ways when present with the hurtfulness they cause, and with helping to spread the word, and good on Woodburn for bringing the issue up, and allowing the exchange to be made public.