Poll

If a petition is made for SE, would you sign it?

Yes
14 (53.8%)
No
2 (7.7%)
Not too Sure yet
2 (7.7%)
It won't help
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: May 13, 2009, 08:02:22 pm

Author Topic: Petition for SE  (Read 7556 times)

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
Re: Petition for SE
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2009, 09:00:30 pm »
Is it really such a good idea to demand Square makes a sequel? I know that's what everyone wants, but no one will be pleased if the developer only made the game because they were forced to, not because they held a passion for it. It might be best just to leave it at lifting the C&D.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2009, 09:04:44 pm »
zephira is right thats y i do not want a petition

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2009, 09:04:44 pm »
The language edited according to Zephira's suggestion might appear thus:

We, the undersigned Chrono fans, have hungered for official new material in the franchise for a decade. The re-release of Chrono Trigger on the Nintendo DS in 2008 gave us hope of future entries in the series, but since its release we have received no further indication of Square Enix's interest in continuing the franchise.

Absent an official addition to the Chrono series, fans have speculated upon the possible resolutions and continuances of an intellectual property that has captured their imaginations and inspired new artistic dreams. The Chrono fan community has realized its dreams through entire volumes of fan fiction, fan art, interactive Flash projects, and even games created with the popular RPGMaker game engine. We feel that our right to interpret and enjoy the discontinued Chrono franchise should also extend to modification of the Super Nintendo game we lawfully purchased while it was still in circulation. We acknowledge no financial harm to the intellectual property holder in the release of a modification to backups of the legally purchased Super Nintendo game, and therefore ready ourselves to defend our right through our power as consumers.

We, the undersigned, pledge to boycott the purchase of Square Enix games released after May 8, 2009, for all platforms, until such time as Square Enix rescinds its Cease and Desist against Crimson Echoes and SNES-era modification.

Edit there was in the "action" paragraph. I wanted to retain the fact(?) that the Chrono fan community was inspired to do this because we've been neglected as fans and consumers.

Happy-Dude

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2009, 09:09:14 pm »

We, the undersigned Chrono fans, have hungered for official new material in the franchise for a decade. The re-release of Chrono Trigger on the Nintendo DS in 2008 gave us hope of future entries in the series, but since its release we have received no further indication of Square Enix's interest in continuing the franchise.

Absent an official addition to the Chrono series, fans have speculated upon the possible resolutions and continuances of an intellectual property that has captured their imaginations and inspired new artistic dreams. The Chrono fan community has realized its dreams through entire volumes of fan fiction, fan art, interactive Flash projects, and even games created with the popular RPGMaker game engine. We feel that our right to interpret and enjoy the discontinued Chrono franchise should also extend to modification of the Super Nintendo game we lawfully purchased while it was still in circulation. We acknowledge no financial harm to the intellectual property holder in the release of a modification to backups of the legally purchased Super Nintendo game, and therefore ready ourselves to defend our right through our power as consumers.

We, the undersigned, pledge to boycott the purchase of Square Enix games released after May 8, 2009, for all platforms, until such time as Square Enix rescinds its Cease and Desist against Crimson Echoes and SNES-era modification.

Well said. Chrono Trigger DS was actually the first Square Enix game I bought... After the Final Fantasy Chronicles (with the Chrono Trigger remake, loved the animations, disappointed at run speeds)... I don't need anymore Square Enix unless they appreciate us... And stop milking us like people who drone in the room just to get the game for the sake of getting it...

I'm spreading the word. I've got 5+ people signed already. Facebook status is Save Crimson Echoes!! Twitter, Digg, Reddit, 4chan, internet community this. Please!!

EDIT:: edited accordingly to the updated post. And I'm just saying, this needs to spread around; have the threads on the sites been updated?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:27:15 pm by Happy-Dude »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2009, 09:18:57 pm »
Search "Crimson Echoes" on Digg, Happy. You should see one started by ZeaLitY that has 1600+ Diggs. However, I'm not sure whether it's better to focus everyone's Diggs into one story or spread them out amongst different stories.

Again, until I get further notice of wished-for edits, the latest language is here.

I agree with Zephira that the "Hey, let's put Yoichi Wada's balls to the wall here and give him an ultimatum to announce a new Chrono game or else!" approach was a bit too open-ended/superfluous. What we're fighting for here is our right as fans to modify and re-interpret intellectual property we legally purchase, the language in Galoob vs. Nintendo a major inspiration. Thanks to Mav and TheGary for pointing that case out, I think that's a superb precedent here:

Quote from: Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, United States of America
"Having paid Nintendo a fair return, the consumer may experiment with the product and create new variations of play, for personal enjoyment, without creating a derivative work."
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:22:18 pm by FaustWolf »

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2009, 09:29:59 pm »
Then again E3 is in a month. We would look like giant ass dick douche bags if they have been planning Brake to be announced at E3 this summer. My suggestion is at least to wait until after E3. I say E3 because America is the better market for the Chrono series we bought Cross and the Trigger more than jap did, so they might announce it here first.

Our image should be the most important thing here. We need to make Square look like the Lavos of this situation. Not we are FATE and they are the Dragon God.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2009, 09:31:08 pm »
Actually, I would add something about our desire to see CE despite the fact that there could be another Chrono game down the road.  They are unrelated; CE has been because of the absence of the Chrono games, but even if, we should still be entitled to the right to have "what if" type scenario's.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2009, 09:53:00 pm »
Language-wise, Zephira + Boo (which might best be addressed by removing the sequel language entirely) =

The Chrono fan community has long speculated upon the possible resolutions and continuations of an intellectual property that captured their imaginations and inspired new artistic dreams. They have realized their dreams through entire volumes of fan fiction, fan art, interactive Flash projects, and even games created with the popular RPGMaker game engine.

We, the undersigned Chrono fans, feel that our right to interpret and enjoy the Chrono franchise should also extend to modification of the Super Nintendo game we lawfully purchased while it was still in circulation. We acknowledge no financial harm to the intellectual property holder in the release of a modification to backups of the legally purchased Super Nintendo game, and therefore ready ourselves to defend our right through our power as consumers. We feel our position is bolstered in the following language issued by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals of the United States in
Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc., vs. Nintendo of America, Inc. (1992):

"Having paid Nintendo a fair return, the consumer may experiment with the product and create new variations of play, for personal enjoyment, without creating a derivative work."

We, the undersigned, pledge to boycott the purchase of Square Enix games released after May 8, 2009, for all platforms, until such time as Square Enix rescinds its Cease and Desist against Crimson Echoes and SNES-era game modification.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:55:01 pm by FaustWolf »

Happy-Dude

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2009, 09:54:49 pm »
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/05/square-enix-kills-near-complete-chrono-trigger-fan-project/#comments

Someone should email that tier 4 schooled joke of an in-house counsel at Square Enix and tell them about laches as detailed in USC 17 507(b). Furthermore, my understanding is that the 9th circuit has been pretty liberal in their application of laches *within* the 3 year period. They could likely form a strong defense under 1201(f) for the DMCA portion. Too bad the fans aren’t rich.

This sounds important... May it be of some use?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2009, 09:56:20 pm »
Certainly worth pointing out. Not necessarily in a petition (which is why I may end up removing the Glaoob vs. Nintendo language), but it is of interest.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2009, 09:57:09 pm »
NICE.

Suck it, Square Enix.

I think I'm gonna go register at Digg.com just so I can Digg it and then leave a nasty comment.  I'll make sure they know that Boo the Gentleman Caller is officially boycotting all future Square Enix titles.  However, I will also make note that I will continue to buy any Chrono related product out of pure devotion to the franchise (with or without Crimson Echoes).

You know, I think Crimson Echoes will actually help Square Enix make money off the franchise.  It's sort of free advertising...  And they don't have to consider it canon or anything...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2009, 10:03:37 pm »
Exactly. CE even begins with a disclaimer that it's an unofficial fan product.

SE isn't giving up its IP by dropping its C&D. It's merely allowing fans to do what they want with property that they've legally purchased.

...Oh God, I sould like a conservative.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2009, 10:07:20 pm »
You know, I think Crimson Echoes will actually help Square Enix make money off the franchise.  It's sort of free advertising...  And they don't have to consider it canon or anything...
Heh, it's interesting: with regards to copyright infringement, there's something called "positive harm". Although the name is a bit strange, it basically means that the new work will cause an increased interest in the original work, mostly financially, but it could also just be a general interest. Although it's really a benefit in disguise, it's called "harm" because it comes about from using a copyrighted work without consent. That is undoubtedly what SE would get out of a release of CE.

Oh, and the petition looks good, are you guys publicizing it heavily?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2009, 10:12:29 pm »
I'll let ZeaLitY, Ramsus, and JP decide on how heavily the petition should be publicized, especially given the Compendium's statement on fan petitions.

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2009, 10:13:09 pm »
Does SE of America even have any authority? Honestly, I wonder if they could even consider such an idea without consulting the Jap headquarters, which will most likely not even take a first glance at the project.