Author Topic: Magus didn't appear in the booklet  (Read 2438 times)

Mez

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Magus didn't appear in the booklet
« on: December 10, 2008, 07:46:56 am »
Hello guise!
I got now the US-Version of Chrono Trigger (IT ROCKS0rZZ!!1111oneoneone) and read the booklet yesterday.
But in the description of the  characters there wasn't Magus listed. In the photo in the opening Magus didn't appear too.
Any theories why there aren't any informations about him?

Sorry if my english is bad. If someone can't read the text, please say it, so I can explain it better.

mikeb123

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Magus didn't appear in the booklet
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 07:55:26 am »
Your English seems fine. I think it's because getting Magus latter in the game is somewhat of a suprise and showing Magus would be a spoiler, since your not suposed to know your going to get him in your party.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 07:57:38 am »
That's probably the same reason why you have only Crono and Ayla in the pterosaur-riding CG.
Because the third guy is changable.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 12:11:57 pm »
Your English seems fine. I think it's because getting Magus latter in the game is somewhat of a suprise and showing Magus would be a spoiler, since your not suposed to know your going to get him in your party.

Is that so? Then what about the extras section? In the dojo, many pictures show Magus in the current party. If one decides to check that before wouldn't that spoil it?

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 12:15:32 pm »
Those pictures are only unlocked after you get his techniques for the first time, I believe

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 12:20:03 pm »
Those pictures are only unlocked after you get his techniques for the first time, I believe

How early you think this one gets available?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 12:24:36 pm »
Oh, right. That is odd. But he could also not be on the photo because he wasn't really a teamplayer. He doesn't have any double techs or triple techs with anyone without those rocks. And seeing as how he joined up so late, maybe they didn't really consider him a "hero" of time.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 05:07:11 pm »
They didn't really show him much in the SNES instruction booklet either...He got relegated to a background pic on the warranty info page...oh, and that one pic of Crono, Frog & Lucca fighting him prior to the "Adventure guide"...and on the last page before the warranty thing it shows the confrontation on the cape among the pics talking about the multi-ending aspects of the game...In the PSX one though, he's as prominent as the other characters, really...but we all know how lame that port was...I chalked that one up to yet another mistake of that whole fiasco...

But, yeah, Magus was really a fairly spoilerific optional character...To include him in such would sort of ruin the story...So I guess so does that Tech guide thing...but who really looks at those anyways?

mikeb123

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 05:36:53 pm »
The animations were made for the psx anthology version though, but him in the tech picture could have been an acident or just a slip. I don't see any other reason they would disclude him from the booklet other than that.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 05:48:27 pm »
I first played CT in like, 2004, and managed to go without finding out Magus joined until the walkthrough I was using mentioned the choice after the Cape Howl battle.

Don't forget the friggin' official CTDS site/s clearly shows Magus as one of the party members, complete with avatar and screenshots...

As for the photo, he's a jerk/had left at the time. ...In fact, when was the photo taken? I thought maybe it had been taken right after Magus left to find Schala in the ending, but that wouldn't make sense because Ayla leaves before him and she's in the photo. Or I'm just overthinking a nice little addition made to the opening...

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 05:50:01 pm »
The animations were made for the psx anthology version though, but him in the tech picture could have been an acident or just a slip. I don't see any other reason they would disclude him from the booklet other than that.

That is not the only tech picture that he appears in.

mikeb123

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 06:05:32 pm »
In the first half of the game, he comes off as a major antagonist though. It would ruin that image if you knew he would join you later in the game. Maybe the programers didn't take this into consideration. Besides, maybe they just didn't want to give that much away that early. Instruction booklets are normally read before you actually play the game.
So I guess so does that Tech guide thing...but who really looks at those anyways?
I completely agree. Why would anybody exit the game while playing it and instead go and look at not clips, but pictures of the techs?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:11:27 pm by mikeb123 »

mikeb123

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 06:14:20 pm »
But the guide is mostley for begginers unless you were looking for the controls, which are not that hard to figure out by yourself. Considering how great the story and gameplay are, I just don't see how someone would draw themselves away in the middle of the game to look at pictures. I guess it's different for some people though.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 07:10:04 pm »
I meant that Magus is shown prominently in the PSX version's booklet, not the anime sequences...Also, are the Tech screenshots different from the PSX ones...? If they're not, I'm willing to continue to put the blame on the PSX port. :lol:

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 07:58:22 pm »
...after the Cape Howl battle.

When was North Cape renamed to Cape Howl, or are we talking about CC here?

Did CTDS rename North Cape to Cape Howl or something?