Author Topic: Writing pet peeves  (Read 6131 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2006, 10:25:48 pm »
Post length doesn't matter unless a post consists of one huge block of text without interruption or paragraph spacing.

Ah, Encounter at Farpoint is on right now. It was on last week when SpikeTV's airings restarted as well. There is nothing like the first season of The Next Generation.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2006, 10:30:23 pm »
Now you're doing it on purpose.

Daniel Krispin

Writing pet peeves
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2006, 11:43:18 pm »
Quote from: Lord J esq
Quote from: Magus22
Ahh yes, that reminds me of a pet peeve I might as well share. Though it really isn't "bad", I dislike having to read a quarter of a page post by someone.

Because I enforce the reading of my posts with tasers and anal pears. Take your garbage elsewhere, 22! Millions of people gave their lives, and billions more lived in squalor for thousands of years, hoping for their children a better world than they themselves would ever know. Spurn the intellect; reject the fruits of literacy--no less a bounty than the entire modern world! What a palaver! What an absolute treat!

How is it that Seneca puts that? I think I quoted it in the quote thread. Something to the effect that all these founders of knowledge have existed to bring this knowledge to us.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2006, 06:25:31 am »
OK J, if you feel special at it, then you are! In fact, we are ALL special! Now pick up your crayons kids...
I do occasionally have "important discussions" but anyone with half a mind would understand what I am talking about.
And yes, the coffee machine was broken, and I didn't feel like smashing up the coffee beans with my feet again, after that incident.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2006, 08:26:00 am »
Quote from: Lord J esq
Quote from: Magus22
Ahh yes, that reminds me of a pet peeve I might as well share. Though it really isn't "bad", I dislike having to read a quarter of a page post by someone.

Because I enforce the reading of my posts with tasers and anal pears. Take your garbage elsewhere, 22! Millions of people gave their lives, and billions more lived in squalor for thousands of years, hoping for their children a better world than they themselves would ever know. Spurn the intellect; reject the fruits of literacy--no less a bounty than the entire modern world! What a palaver! What an absolute treat!

I said it wasn't "bad", but when I do a quick log on here and someone posts a half a page, it's hard to read all of it and keep up with other stuff. So I'll just log on later that night to read it all. Long posts are ok!!

Quote from: ZeaLitY
Ah, Encounter at Farpoint is on right now. It was on last week when SpikeTV's airings restarted as well. There is nothing like the first season of The Next Generation.

ZeaLity, you should definately get the boxed seasons soon :)

Daniel Krispin

Writing pet peeves
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2006, 04:31:57 pm »
Post length doesn't matter unless a post consists of one huge block of text without interruption or paragraph spacing.

I remember watching ST:TNG when I was a kid. And then they came out with DS9. And Voyager. And Enterprise. And my attention waned (that, and I stopped watching TV, so that might have something to do with it.) DS9 has some pretty good moments (the Trouble with Tribbles 'remake' was hilarious, for example), but overall, TNG is the best. Years ago I got my grandfather, who had cable, to record as many episodes as he could. I probably have a good 80% of the episodes lying around. First season way okay, but I think I like some of the later ones better. 'The Inner Light' (I think that's what it's called), for example; or Darmok, or whatever that one's called where Picard and the alien captain are together on that one world. Picard retelling the epic of Gilgamesh - doesn't get much better than that.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2006, 04:58:50 pm »
Quote from: Daniel Krispin
Picard retelling the epic of Gilgamesh - doesn't get much better than that.

You would be partial to that sort of storyline. Widely regarded as one of TNG's best episodes, I personally considered "Darmok" to be somewhat lacking in intellectual provocation--which is the reverse side of the same coin that makes the first few seasons of TNG such powerful television in the marketplace of ideas. It was a great premise, anyhow, and had there been a bit more bite to it, I'd be with you.

Quote from: Daniel Krispin
And then they came out with DS9. And Voyager. And Enterprise. And my attention waned (that, and I stopped watching TV, so that might have something to do with it.)

My own experience parallels this exactly--even down to the detail that when I made for college I left television behind me--except that you left out the wrenching years during which Star Trek's quality decayed, forcing me into a continual disappointment with the franchise. Star Trek helped shape me as a kid, and to see it go down the tubes was frustrating to say the least. If you have ever been forced to slowly, over a period of years, abandon something you respected greatly, and whose future you had once thought to shine quite bright, you can imagine what a lament I had to sing over Star Trek's decline, so that when Enterprise was finally cancelled, I was relieved rather than upset.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2006, 07:18:55 pm »
I enjoy Star Trek because the real focus is on humanity, not drama or storytelling for its own sake. I share the belief that with the increase of technology and education, basic human vices such as hunger and greed can be erased and a future such as that can come to pass. That's why I too am disappointed with Star Trek's turn under Rick Berman and Ira Steven Behr, as the focus shifted from man's actualization and the exploration of morality to drama and space battles. I don't have a real problem with DS9; I'm going to probably watch it all the way through. But the Roddenberry element in DS9's successors seems extremely diluted, if present at all. Roddenberry is what made Star Trek work; he was fully in charge for seasons one and two of TOS, season one of TNG with dwindling involvement until his death, and Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The idea that humanity can truly change and better itself while exploring its own nature and desires is appealing, moreso than "arm weapons; here come some bugs!" But I'm not ragging on other science fiction in general -- just the turn Star Trek took in emulating it.

It's apparent in a lot of places. The Enterprise-D's bridge was spacious, illuminated, and curved. The uniforms openly displayed the neck; both these aspects reflected humanity's faith in itself -- Starfleet crewmembers did not don armor, and neither was their bridge an overly technical war machine. It was a vessel of exploration, built for the comfort of humanity and providing a base from which to grow. This is tossed aside with the Enterprise-E, which is a nasty little hovel filled with angles, squares, normal chairs and dim blue lighting. The D had family aboard and welcomed children there to grow rapidly through experience; one can't imagine friendly children hopping about the E's corridors. Recall "Yesterday's Enterprise," and the look the warship version of the Enterprise had in that episode. That was done for a reason -- to contrast the peaceful, mature stance of humanity in the real timeline to a warlike, defensive group in the aberration. Yet the Enterprise-E now establishes this configuration as the rule and not the exception. The uniforms have changed to look like pure thermals, and are also very bland. Whereas the Starfleet of yesteryear had colored shirts to reflect responsibility and allow ease of identification, the Starfleet of Rick Berman looks like damn platoon of clones. The individuality that Star Trek afforded its characters (well, TOS Redshirts excluded) was pushed aside for the new conformist look.

I watched "All Good Things..." yesterday again, and I was sort of disgusted. It did have a nice note -- that Picard considered a paradox and totally circumvented normal human thinking to achieve the solution -- but this was like a murmur lost in dramatic overture. Old Picard's a buffoon not worthy of very much respect, while Data has taken up a chair at a university? And then we have the putrid backdrop of the state of affairs in that timeline. All the work of Picard and Worf is completely lost; instead, the Klingons are now stupidly aggressive. The Enterprise-D is bastardized with dim lights, and the character of Riker has ironically reached the bottom of the bad slope he slipped down starting in the later seasons (Riker went from activous, bright, and ambitious in season one to some fat dude with a beard who occasionally yelled at an alien or got pissed at someone else). The episode is one frantic dramatic explosion to the next, the only highlights being De Lancie's usual great performance and the scenes from the timeframe of Encounter at Farpoint. The humanism was there, but otherwise it looked like a big mess with Picard walking around with a question marked stamped to his forehead. The Picard we left with the television series was not "Picard, considerate of past decisions (We'll Always Have Paris)", "Picard, redefining human experience (The Inner Light)", or "Picard, reaffirming his faith in ideals (Family)." It's "Picard, who happened to solve a paradox probably baffling to most of the audience with blank expression on his face for most of the feature)." He didn't grow!

I hope Star Trek XI is made, and Picard gets to ride again. Despite the complete rut Star Trek is in (William Shatner remarked correctly that they should simply fire everyone in an administrative or creative role in the show, barring the excellent make-up artists and scenery guys), perhaps they'll take heed of the criticism and give Picard a good run. It is not befitting of the crew of the golden age of Star Trek to end their canonical appearances by foiling dumb Romulan intrigue and losing Data. Growth is not purely reacting to terrible circumstances; all they did was restore Starfleet to its former position in the TNG movies. Growth is about achieving something new, or enduring a terrible circumstance and learning from it. But what have we to learn with the movies? Kirk's death was stupid, and that El-Aurian guy was evil. In First Contact, Picard learned that he has an irrational hatred of the Borg (something explored well enough in the TV series and rehashed just to give him something to do). Insurrection had a lot of promise with the exploration of the moment premise, but the writers neglected to explore their own damn theme, and Picard was left with a neat experience and no real substance. And in Nemesis, they simply foil a plot. Where is the advancement of the human spirit?

So I'll be hoping Star Trek XI will be a good one, and that perhaps in the future, a new generation of true Star Trek lovers can take over the series once more. Those people who say "the idea has run its course" underestimate the creative power of the human mind. The same things were said about TNG; it proved to be the golden age of the franchise. Criticism was also made about DS9; the Dominion War arc, though not totally Roddenberry-esque, was still a good piece of drama. And I'll neglect Voyager and Enterprise, since the idea that's being described as having run its course really isn't present in those series. "Morality plays" are often described as being sappy, but Roddenberry was not afraid of making a statement and advocating ideals. IDIC, advancement, etc. number among them as core doctrines.

Dang, I really come off as crabby. But as someone who started to like Star Trek only a year and a half ago, these are my observations.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2006, 07:37:08 pm »
I have created a monster! It's alive, alive!!
Seriously, Z, I couldnae have said it better myself.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2006, 07:52:36 pm »
That's why I too am disappointed with Star Trek's turn under Rick Berman and Ira Steven Behr

I hold that the best part of the franchise was always the original series.  Everything Rick Berman and his cohorts touched was crap.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2006, 11:12:39 am »
I hope Star Trek XI is made, and Picard gets to ride again.

It be great to have original casts in future episodes, but I can only see them as guest stars. Time is having it's affects on us, they kinda did a good job with Riker and Diana in the last Enterprise episode, and on that note, Enterprise was just a dissapointment, the only good show was the borg one in which they found the remains of the sphere from First Contact.

They could do many movies based off of TNG, I think both "Conspiracy" and "Schisms" would be excellent. But for another movie, why don't they consider the Voyager crew for the next movie? I just hope the spark of the Star Trek spirit hasn't gone out yet for future episodes and movies, but as a hardcore Star Trek fan, not only do I still play Bridge Commander, I too hope to see a new movie sometime in the future.

Paradox

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2006, 04:32:23 pm »
I've got a few:

- People who don't understand the premis of a "Theory". Those people who just -have- to prove it 100% incorrect no matter what. They can't possibly stand the idea that it may be possible, even by the slimmest margin.

- People on forums who believe that since they have about a bazillion more posts that they are the forum god or something (I ain't talking about CC of course).

- Spammers (duh)

- When someone comes into a topic thread with a new idea or theory and instantly it has to be 20 people who shut him/her down like change is the devil incarnate in 12 font.

- (this only kinda' works with forums, more of a personal tick) When people use the word "love" like it was disposable. Mass media especially like the television we see today. A pair of teens date for a week and just because their not at each others throats it’s -LOVE-. It's one of the last pure ideals we as human beings cling to in an ever degrading society of diminished morals and stop-at-nothing tactics to succeed.

[As per usual I appologise for posting on the origonal thread topic while you've all gone off on something new, I'm slow @.@]

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Writing pet peeves
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2006, 03:44:34 pm »
The misuse of such words as lightyear (commonly misinterpreted as a measure of time instead of distance) and literally (if it's not actually happening it ain't literal you bastards!) is one of my biggest pet-peeves in writing and in everyday speech. It's a real piss-ant when you want to correct someone when you know full-well that everyone else in the room probably thought what was said was correct...But w/e...

Hadriel

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2006, 05:15:03 pm »
One of my writing pet peeves is totally avoidable bastardization of basic science and meaningless technobabble in an attempt to appear scientific.  Voyager is by far the worst offender in this regard, but every Star Trek series from TNG onwards is guilty of this, quite possibly because of Rick Berman's influence; they have the science consultants, they just don't listen to them.  And because of this, you get reactor output in teradynes, an event horizon being a physical thing instead of a mathematically defined boundary, and people thinking that Federation starships are somehow immune to lasers and other EM-based weapons, even if the wattage is enough to take out an entire galaxy in ten seconds.  But what's more, I've never held with the concept of a perfectible human race, mainly because every human has a different idea of what perfection is.  I never liked the pseudo-Communist economics behind the Federation, either; people have the basic desire to obtain all that they can materially.  Kirk and Picard's conceit that people work only to better themselves in the future is misplaced; most people perceive the acquisition of tangible goods as bettering themselves.  To differentiate the two concepts is, from an economic perspective, the height of folly.  The only way to actually make such an economy work is to have Culture-level technology, and the sci-fi civs who can accomplish that are numbered in the single digits.

Another thing that irks me is, on a related note, the conceit that writing a fantasy world is a license to do whatever you want regarding politics, combat, and any number of other issues, without providing any in-universe reason why it should be different from what we know.

As far as the actual writing style goes, I'm not particularly a fan of using larger words when smaller ones will get the point across.  I suppose that I'm more interested in the actual content of a story than in how it's presented.  Attempting to seem smart with your vocabulary, one of the main sources of technobabble, can actually diminish the story's content by distracting from it.  Suppose someone was to come up with a science fiction epic the likes of which the world has never seen or even conceived of.  Now, suppose that this someone decides to write this story in a style approximating that of William Shakespeare.  Shakespeare's style, that of flowery words and ten pages of analogies where two sentences will do, could in theory work in a science fiction setting, but not in any universe that I'm familiar with.  The plots of most of his works are in reality exceedingly basic, though this can be said to be a relic of the times rather than to stem from any particular limitation of his.

Finally, I hate it when people try to seem philosophical without actually having any idea of how philosophy works.  Your average Matrix fanboy fits well with this archetype.  Philosophy isn't posting on livejournal about how there is no God because you can't get laid.  Philosophy deals with basic questions of existence itself, and works according to rigorously defined, objective principles.  I forget which episode of TNG it was that had Data talking to that one girl on the planet that was about to blow up or something, but somehow the crew managed to turn it into a debate on God.  Not only was it annoying and out-of-place, the answer is not only obvious but objectively factual; it is a moral wrong not to render aid to a being in danger of dying through no fault of their own when there is zero risk to you and you are well within your power to do so.  In real life, there would have been no debate about whether it was right or wrong to help a girl in imminent peril of death, and in real life, God would not have even begun to enter into the equation of a practical course of action regarding the lives and welfare of other sentient beings.  A so-called "evolved civilization" would have been long past the stage of uncertainty in that regard.  The only debate would have been about whether or not it was practical to do so, which is a realm entirely removed from that of philosophy.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2006, 02:20:08 am »
As far as the actual writing style goes, I'm not particularly a fan of using larger words when smaller ones will get the point across.  I suppose that I'm more interested in the actual content of a story than in how it's presented.

I think the tendancy to use larger words in that fashion tends often to be the mark of either egotism or inexperience. I used to be a bit like that, but nowadays I use whichever word seems to work best with the feel - often being shorter and more common words. However, I tend to use them in a certain style and syntax. That ties into the second part of what you said. For me, the presentation is as important as the content. There are very few, I believe, who think like that, but I love to craft sentences in a clever manner - I think there's a beauty to writing that's often left behind in favour of being concise. After all, while I won't make words unneccessarially complex, I will very often use two, or ten, words where one would suffice, because it simply sounds better.

Finally, I hate it when people try to seem philosophical without actually having any idea of how philosophy works.  Your average Matrix fanboy fits well with this archetype.  Philosophy isn't posting on livejournal about how there is no God because you can't get laid.  Philosophy deals with basic questions of existence itself, and works according to rigorously defined, objective principles. 

Good point, and a problem I often run into myself. I like serious writing over escapist type, usually, and as such try and actually say something in what I write. However, I've often found myself falling into that selfsame trap that you speak of: using something merely as an excuse to say something. Well... it's possible to do so, but one must be extremely careful that it always works within context, eh?