Author Topic: Does Anyone Play EVE?  (Read 1017 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Does Anyone Play EVE?
« on: May 25, 2009, 07:50:38 pm »
I've been invited to join, but I'm notoriously selective with how I spend my time, and to be honest most of the game just doesn't look all that fun. But then someone linked me to the blog of a pirate group leader, who made the game sound like it might have some appeal after all.

I'm still skeptical, though. If you play it, what makes it fun for you? If you know anything about me, what do you think might make it fun for me?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Does Anyone Play EVE?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 11:27:01 pm »
I don't play, so I'm afraid I can't be much help. But I did have two questions to add.

1. Isn't that the MMO where you command a big space battleship or something as your "character"?

2. Do you remember Parasite Eve? Now that was cool.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 01:19:37 am »
yes, thats the one that this is, Mr B.

I don't know if you want to or not.  I mean, its not WOW, because WOW is do everything all at once. EVE is actual real time.   And by this, I mean that certain trips across the galaxy can/will take days or weeks to make.  and by that I mean, you set your course, it gives you an estimated travel time.  you log off.  You wait that long IRL (can be days or more).  You log back on, and you're there.

I dont really know anything else about the game tho =D

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 04:38:11 am »
EVE's major hook is also its major handicap. It's got an amazingly complex and realistic economy and transit system. You start of week and pathitic and unless you can get so charity or you ready for a hell of a lot of work(more then any game should need) you won't get anywhere.

Like Serge said the everything is real time, which is nice for the people who can't be on all the time like on WoW. Combat is not nearly as big of a part of EVE as in other games, although it is still a very important role. Many of the best player on completely non-combat and just play the Stock Market, or trade in rare parts and minerals, some mine them or buy off resources and sell ships that they build. Then again you can be a pirate steal from one and hoard it too yourself or sell it off the highest bidder.

One really appealing trait of EVE is, unlike many games such as WoW or Guildwars for example, is its not run by the GMs its run by the players. If say a group of player become pirates and take over a full sector then they have the sector until they leave or its taken from them. That isn't to say that the GM's don't crack down of unruly players though.

Enigma Outlaw

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Guru of Enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 05:20:10 am »
Never played Eve and now that I'm hearing all this I don't think I want to. The whole real time travel thing would get annoying for me real fast. Plus the lack of GM's strike me as being a bad thing for any MMO. I was big on WoW back in the day. May be starting again soon on a new server once my best friend from high school moves into my basement apartment with me and we get high speed internet. Right now my dad only has dial up and as I'm sure you can imagine doing anything more than a forum is a struggle :-/

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 05:58:51 am »
Do you remember Parasite Eve? Now that was cool.

Parasite Eve was so cool that it's what this thread should be about instead of w/e the fuck it is that this topic is about...Can't wait to see more of 3rd Birthday...>_>

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 01:02:46 pm »
Never played Eve and now that I'm hearing all this I don't think I want to. The whole real time travel thing would get annoying for me real fast. Plus the lack of GM's strike me as being a bad thing for any MMO. I was big on WoW back in the day. May be starting again soon on a new server once my best friend from high school moves into my basement apartment with me and we get high speed internet. Right now my dad only has dial up and as I'm sure you can imagine doing anything more than a forum is a struggle :-/
It's a MMO for the Objectivist in us.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 05:22:30 pm by KebreI »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 04:28:00 pm »
Parasite Eve was so cool that it's what this thread should be about instead of w/e the fuck it is that this topic is about...Can't wait to see more of 3rd Birthday...>_>

You're lucky I sold my Klingon pain stick, V.

I'd stick you good...