Author Topic: Videos Part 2 & 3 & Other Comment  (Read 6723 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Videos Part 2 & 3 & Other Comment
« on: May 31, 2009, 09:22:43 pm »
Sorry to pre-empt Agent 12, but I'd like to get some more words out about the leak. First of all, check out the next batch of videos taken from the 98% complete beta version:

Video 4
Video 5
Video 6
Video 7
Video 8
Video 9
Video 10

EDIT By JP: Welcome to Chapter 3! I'm going to give Zeality's comment here a little bit more face time. Chapter 3 is quite a bit shorter than yesterdays update. But it has a really important "theme" to the game in it so pay attention!

Video 11
Video 12

END EDIT

Now, about the leak...the leaked version is the very, very first version given to beta testers. By that build's date, most dialogue, events, and rough maps were complete. There was no polish on it whatsoever, though; several showstopping bugs had yet to be found, maps and new graphics had yet to be configured, and dialogue had yet to be written (along with a few new scenes) for sidequests and easter eggs. It's more accurately an "alpha" than a beta version, and it's an outright embarrassment to the development team that it's out. This version, simply put, is pretty crappy and inferior to what we were working on before the C&D. We fixed over 2,000 bugs (seriously; we used a bug-counter) after that build. If that version was 98% complete, this was only 75%. I'm sorry it was leaked. We're investigating which beta tester leaked it, and you can bet that appropriate action will be taken.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:29:28 pm by Chrono'99 »

Andrelvis

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Videos Part 2 & Other Comment
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 11:36:54 pm »
Sorry to ask Zeality, but why are you going to take action against the leaker? That's the only way the game could be released in any form anyway.

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 11:41:03 pm »
Nonaction could be seen as complicity. Also he probably didn't want his 75% unpolished game leaked.

tbobmccoy

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 12:23:44 am »
Lurker finally registered and posting  :D

For ZeaLitY and team: These walkthrough videos are awesome. I admit I didn't hear about Crimson Echoes before I read about it on CNet, but I've been a Chrono fan since the SNES age and you guys were the ones who got me back into the gams. I just finished CT:DS and Chrono Cross, nearly completely (ie: through all the endings) and I really wish that Squeenix didn't C&D you guys!

RIP, Crimson Echoes.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 12:55:29 am »
Sorry to ask Zeality, but why are you going to take action against the leaker? That's the only way the game could be released in any form anyway.

There are a couple of reasons. First, the game was made by JP and his team. It was their work and their choice on whether to release it, when, and how. The leaker made a decision that wasn't his to make. In a way, the leaker stole the team's work. Second, by leaking it, he has put ZeaLitY, JP, and the Chrono Compendium at the mercy of Square Enix's goodwill...a company that has shown itself to have a chronic shortage of goodwill. Now we have to hope that they don't see it as being worth their time to make good on their threat to litigate.

Either of those is a bannable offense, but especially the second one.

tbobmccoy

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 01:01:41 am »

There are a couple of reasons. First, the game was made by JP and his team. It was their work and their choice on whether to release it, when, and how. The leaker made a decision that wasn't his to make. In a way, the leaker stole the team's work. Second, by leaking it, he has put ZeaLitY, JP, and the Chrono Compendium at the mercy of Square Enix's goodwill...a company that has shown itself to have a chronic shortage of goodwill. Now we have to hope that they don't see it as being worth their time to make good on their threat to litigate.

Either of those is a bannable offense, but especially the second one.

If I were you guys, I'd ban them as well. You don't mess with someone's life like that. I know that I would have loved to play the 98% beta, but if I ever saw a copy out there of any other beta, I'd be sure to let you guys know first thing. Square-Enix isn't going to take the plausible deniability argument as a good faith basis for not suing if they believe they're losing money... let's hope that they never think they are and look to you guys to make up the difference.

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 01:21:40 am »
On the day of the leak, I saw the file up on one of the torrent sites with Dark Serge's name attached. Thinking it was the demo, I sent out a PM to JP informing him. When I realized it was either the beta or an earlier alpha build, I sent off another PM. At the time I sent the PM the leak had only made it to a few torrent sites and was possibly containable, but soon after, it hit the news sites, and then Anonymous got to it and from that point there was no containing it.

But I do remember seeing Dark Serge's name on the first few torrent sites that got the leak.

Corpse69

• Porrean (+50)
  • Without a fight no one lives on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 02:41:27 am »
i saw it mentioned him on torrent portal and reactor

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 03:18:04 am »
Although he has proven to not be a trustworthy character, don't blame Dark Serge yet. Not until we're sure, there are still a few holes(namely how did he get it?). I have my own theory on who it is right now, but until I am sure I keeping it between me and the staff.

Corpse69

• Porrean (+50)
  • Without a fight no one lives on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 03:35:42 am »
thats pretty wise

Magihunter

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: Videos Part 2 & 3 & Other Comment
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 05:28:31 am »
Loving these play through videos. Keep it up guys! Perhaps I will play through CC again while I wait for more to refresh my mind on the story of it, so this interquel actually makes more sense to me! Hah.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 10:27:54 am »
So Robo sleeps on the floor instead...
And I love the details changed, like the 2 Rolies kicking an Imp.

quintin3265

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 01:17:13 pm »
I have to give you guys credit for how well you seem to be taking everything that's happening.  I might not have reacted so well in the same situation.

I'm wondering, though, why you're even bothering at all to have anything to do with Square Enix.  The videos that you're posting and the news that's being put out is only exposing more people to the Chrono Trigger universe.  People might watch those videos and say "Hey, if this game is so good, then maybe the original was even better!" and go buy the game.  You're effectively providing free advertising for them.

In fact, if I were running a site like this, I might take the entire site offline and encourage as many webmasters who have anything to do with Square Enix as possible to do the same.  All the FAQs, art, and so on is encouraging people to play Square's games and providing them free publicity.  And even if they use emulators to play the original SNES games or borrow a friend's copy, you are still promoting brand recognition for when Final Fantasy 13 comes around.  To do my little part, I sold Star Ocean: The Last Hope, thus depriving Square of revenue from a prospective buyer of a new copy, have posted about this incident in many other forums, have made reference to it at Amazon, Pricegrabber, and elsewhere, and won't be buying games from them in the future.

Sure, things are past the point where you can expect Square Enix to change their mind.  But you should be mad as hell that Square did what they did, and should be taking every possible step to make a statement that such treatment of their customers is not acceptable and that it will impact their future revenue stream.  Don't just get mad - get even.

Megamanx

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 01:21:46 pm »
IF youtube removes these, is there going to be a backup plan? I just don't trust them to keep this material up if anyone reports it, and I can't live with not seeing this in its entirety.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 01:25:59 pm »
So Robo sleeps on the floor instead...
And I love the details changed, like the 2 Rolies kicking an Imp.
And don't forget Crono stealing that cake--that put a smile on my face. These last two videos really show the proverbial arm you guys are flexing.

Oh and a member at another board I go to mentioned seeing Dark Serge's name on the torrent, but like KebreI said, we shouldn't jump to conclusions.