Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 199365 times)

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1605 on: March 05, 2010, 01:41:22 pm »
X-2 and XII (not to mention the very fact that XI even existed) essentially combined to destroy most of my interest in the Final Fantasy series. 2 x (mediocre plot and characterization + combat system that I actively disliked) = the series will now have to produce something spectacular to convince me to pay full price for a new game, even if I already have the necessary console on which to play it.

Others may differ, but I think the era of the PSX was the golden age of the Japanese console RPG. The PS2 era produced a few good games, but it was at that point that the studios really started to go for eye candy over substance, and the trend seems to be getting stronger rather than abating. Anything produced recently that I might be interested in has probably gone to the hand-helds rather than the consoles, and I have...other problems with hand-helds. (Specifically, the problem is that the average modern hand-held seems to be of the exact size and weight that the cats here enjoy pushing off flat surfaces onto floors and then treating like a soccer ball if you're foolish enough to leave such an item laying around, and no piece of electronics is likely to take more than a certain amount of that kind of mishandling. Likely to get broken + (small screen + poor vision) + portability not being an advantage for me = not likely to buy.) End result: the game studios in general have pretty much lost me as a potential audience for new games for the foreseeable future while they go chasing after the people who are only interested in pretty graphics and online play instead.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1606 on: March 05, 2010, 01:56:05 pm »
Been playing Too Human and really enjoying it. I understand somewhat the negative opinion of it from some people, I can't help but think they only played the game for a little while or something because each time I fire it up and play for a bit, something else seems to pop up or I find something ELSE I can customize...Seriously, between the weapons (melee & gun-types aplenty), the runes (which you can apply to the weapons and can also be equipped and also equipped to each-other) and the skill trees (one for your Class and one for your Affinity)...there's a lot going on here. It just has the same sort of wondrous & grand sense of possibility that Mass Effect 1 had that I'm pulling extra hard for Silicon Knights to get through w/e legalities they need so they can get on a sequel (it's a planned trilogy)...

Also still going through Lunar: The Silver Star at a kind of slow pace...I basically just got to the next village after the bridge got fixed...I know I've forgotten most of this game, especially since the GBA version was a bit more condensed I believe (though so far the difference between the anime character introduction sequences seem minimal), but where the hell is the map? >_>

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: March 07, 2010, 05:55:34 pm »
Here's an awesome, old school RPG called Hero's Realm.

http://rpgmaker.net/games/82/

If anyone wants to have a nostalgia-fest for FFIV-V, you'll absolutely LOVE this game.

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: March 08, 2010, 09:06:22 pm »
I recently had a mass exodus from my home and lost a lot of stuff in the move and have been going through what items I've been able to recover. I lost some cool games like Final Fantasy IX (which I got to disc 3 on but never finished), Final Fantasy Tactics (which was awesome but at least I beat it), and Final Fantasy Anthology (which I'm okay with because I never got that far in either V or VI). I can't find Chrono Cross either. I did find Final Fantasy Chronicles, though, and loaded up an old save file of Chrono Trigger and rebeat the game. I also still have my old FFIV save file, which was in the last dungeon, I just never quite finished the game. I think I'll try that out sometime in the next couple weeks.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: March 09, 2010, 07:04:20 am »
The DS & GBA versions are butter anyhow...though I'd go for the fan translation of VI (& the Compendium's CT)...if I had time to replay games!

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: March 09, 2010, 02:30:43 pm »
Got ff13 today.

..........It's amazing .  :D :)

Lance VII

• Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: March 09, 2010, 03:20:30 pm »
Got ff13 today.

..........It's amazing .  :D :)
I heard it returns to the ATB type battle system. Is this true?

Yourgingerestfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: March 09, 2010, 03:36:24 pm »
Well it does have a charge bar , and everything is real time too , its like a massive hyrbidized battle system .
But its simple ! , Im only on Chapter 2 , but the story and dialougue really are amazing , None of the characters are the usual cliches , I advise everyone to play or rent it , I'll try and post some more things about it the further I get

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1613 on: March 09, 2010, 09:08:29 pm »
My FFXIII should arrive in the morning. Was supposed to arrive today, but we didn't get our post again.

Glad to hear it's amazing, Ginger! O:

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: March 10, 2010, 12:22:22 am »
I was to hitch a ride into town with a friend when he left while I was in the shower. Bastard. I'll get mine Thursday or Friday then.

Yourgingerestfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: March 10, 2010, 03:20:27 am »
I reckon everyone will like it , as soon as the first battle starts , you will think to yourself "WOW !" and be hooked ever since

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: March 10, 2010, 03:49:58 am »
idk, I hate the idea of an FF where I don't actually control my party members in battle...RPG A.I. is rarely smart enough to wipe its own ass...The one, glaring flaw of action-oriented RPG battle systems...

Lance VII

• Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: March 10, 2010, 10:43:53 am »
idk, I hate the idea of an FF where I don't actually control my party members in battle...RPG A.I. is rarely smart enough to wipe its own ass...The one, glaring flaw of action-oriented RPG battle systems...
I feel the FF series was much better 4-6, and then 9. For some reason, I just don't like 7. I haven't played enough of 8 to pass judgment.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: March 10, 2010, 10:58:42 am »
FFI & FFIII were pretty decent (especially for their time)...and FFT, of course was awesome (best PSX FF! best FF ever contender!)...and while I really did love IX's awesome amount of character development (I think the Active Time Events, while somewhat annoying because it felt like they were turning story elements into something to collect or something, really helped with that), the story was a bit forgettable...

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1619 on: March 10, 2010, 03:52:58 pm »

Persona 3 and 4 do it well, and FFXIII does a good job of it too. I'm really enjoying it so far.