Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 199423 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1500 on: February 04, 2010, 04:27:08 pm »
Here's a trailer for Sands of Destruction from over at gametrailers...

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-sands-of/61570

At about 5:00 they talk about "other quality RPGs out there for the DS" and only video of Chrono Trigger is shown...:P

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: February 04, 2010, 05:55:34 pm »

Any else here been playing Mass Effect 2?

Who would've thought that adding elements of old games can produce this new game that's just as awesome as its predecessor?  It's kind of like...

I don't know, Halo meets Fable or something along those lines.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1502 on: February 04, 2010, 06:10:17 pm »
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/02/04/sega-announces-sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-i/

Needlemouse is Sonic the Hedgehog 4!!

It's gonna be in episodic download format. There's a gorgeous short trailer, too.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: February 05, 2010, 01:55:23 am »
I'm looking forward to seeing how Sonic 4 plays out.  If done well it will be a huge plus for Sega, if failed than I think it will be one of there biggest falls yet.  The sonic cycle http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/9319/831168-sonic_cycle_super.png may actually break this time.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: February 05, 2010, 04:48:25 am »
Just finished Mass Effect 2, which I loved every moment of. By themselves I would say their great but together they pierce the formidable wall of "one of the best games I've played."  In fact I can count on one hand the amount of fictional Characters that I have come to love and adore as much as any breathing person. Dak'kon (Planescape: Torment), Tali'Zorah nar Rayya/Tali'Zorah vas Normandy (Mass Effect 1/2), and Juan Rico (Starship TroopersThe book not the damn movies).

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: February 05, 2010, 02:53:09 pm »
Finished Sands of Destruction Just ....I dont know what to say really :S
Everything was good but the story kinda made no sense and fell apart near the end .

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: February 05, 2010, 10:15:51 pm »
SHHHHH!!!!! Don't spoil it!

tripehound

• Porrean (+50)
  • Autistic Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: February 07, 2010, 02:23:38 pm »
Apparently there's a chance that Nintendo may be unveiling a new platform at GDC this year. As if the URL wasn't enough of a hint.  :roll:

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/02/07/rumour-new-nintendo-platform-to-debut-at-gdc/

I've never been to this site before, so I can't say how reliable this article may be. If I had to venture a guess, though, I'd say there's a better chance of it being a new handheld or DS successor than an HD Wii.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:25:51 pm by tripehound »

Yourgingerestfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: February 07, 2010, 03:18:31 pm »
Siliconera is very reliable :P

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: February 07, 2010, 06:56:13 pm »
FFXIII comes out next month. Anyone excited? I personally am thrilled.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: February 07, 2010, 10:53:17 pm »
FFXIII comes out next month. Anyone excited? I personally am thrilled.
I don't think I've even batted an eyelid since FFIX, with its nostalgic appeal... Square Enix grind out the FF games so regularly now, it's diluted things to the point where It's about the same appeal as EA's annual updates of their sports franchises.  For me, anyway. :/

Yourgingerestfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: February 08, 2010, 01:37:16 pm »
Im estatic about ff13 , im so glad it changes everything FF stood for ....after all playing the same game over and over is going to get boring .
Im a mega ff fan so dont get me wrong I love it , but things need to change now :P And ff13 will hopefully change it all

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: February 08, 2010, 02:41:04 pm »
I can't say I really am.  For one thing unless it's on Wii or DS (Which I doubt) I won't be able to play it.  And also the only Final fantasy games I've played are IV, VII, and Tactics.  And the only one of those I've finished is tactics.  I like the style, but for some reason I have a hard time getting myself to play them.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1513 on: February 08, 2010, 04:33:23 pm »
Im estatic about ff13 , im so glad it changes everything FF stood for

Didn't XI already do that (by actually changing the GENRE of the series)...?

....after all playing the same game over and over is going to get boring .

How so...? The FF games are barely even a series...Most of the time I feel like the only thing actually connecting the games are Easter eggs for the fans...OMG there's a chocobo in that dude's fro! What were we talking about?!

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1514 on: February 08, 2010, 05:09:25 pm »
Quote from: V Translanka, Destroyer of Worlds and Consumer of Pancakes
How so...? The FF games are barely even a series...Most of the time I feel like the only thing actually connecting the games are Easter eggs for the fans...OMG there's a chocobo in that dude's fro! What were we talking about?!

Yeah, but there's a lot of fundamental similarities, globally and by platform. 4, 5, 6 were more similar to each other than 7, 8, and 9, and 10 was just WEIRD! 12 was also a bit different but essentially the same.

The main character(who uses a sword, always) goes on a journey, meets people, gets a boat, meets some more people, kills a few bosses, gets an air ship, goes to an island you can't get to by boat, goes to an island you're not supposed to go to until the end of the game(at least how I play it) and then you fight the final boss, who you find out who it is by the end of the second disk/major plot point.

There's always some nobility character, some brooding, mysterious character(five may be the exception) and a love interest. The main character(who always uses a sword, remember) always has some deep mental/emotional/psychological problem:

Cecil(I have to kill people), Leena(my dad's dead and I don't know how to rule), Terra(I don't know what love is!), Cloud(Oh, God, where do I begin?), Squall(I'm always so alone), and Zi-Actually, despite being the one who really deserves the emo attitude, he's pretty upbeat. Tidus and Vaan followed after Zidane in this respect, but then again, they're weird.

6 and 7 are incredibly similar. I remember about a year ago, my older bro was doing a replaythrough of FF7 and I would keep pointing out things going "Oop, that looks just like something from FF6," or "Ooop, that dialog sounds like FF6." The stairs to the Magi Tower in 6 and the Shinra Building in 7 are identical. This really doesn't say much, but it's interesting.

Square's been trying to take FF in a different direction since 10, and has met with varied results. 10 set a new mold, and 12 completely shattered that one. 13 is just another wave of that. Still, I doubt they'll ever get completely away from the fundamental stuff that makes an FF game an FF game.