Poll

What is chrono trigger based on, evolution or creation?

Evolution
15 (88.2%)
Creation
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: October 06, 2005, 07:52:14 am

Author Topic: Another Theory on Lavos (evolution vs creationism?)  (Read 5043 times)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Another Theory on Lavos (evolution vs creationism?)
« on: September 12, 2005, 07:52:14 am »
First of all, let me start off by saying what a beautiful website! ok...
In Islamic religion (please dont bring up any terrorist remark. im new here so i dont really know the people) it is seen that the antichrist is a creature created by god to end the sinful and test it to the full. it is seen by a quote from the quaran or hadith wihcih goes something like Muhammads friend sees someone who will be reborn as the antichrist. the friend goes, we must kill him! But Muhammad goes that if we kill him that there will be no point in living. Maybe this is what lavos is, just a creature created by the entity, and the whole quest thing was just a test of faith, and crono represented humanity. or maybe it was just something the entity did and the whole quest was chance (shutup about the entity being involved) You see, the 2300 thing was humanity regaining faith and humanity. and we do not know what happens afterwards. the mutants might become the next reptites. but when lavos is destroyed, humanity just goes on with their sinful ways

or maybe lavos is an organism like a human, but just so advanced. think about. as you evolve, intelligence grows, while "morals" grow. we can see this by the number of moral rules we had back 3000yrs back. no homosexuality, no sex out of marriage, no certain foods. but know we can put self will upon ourselves. (i am not talking out of a religious view mind you)  maybe lavos is the future. we become so caught up with greed and power, that we forget about things like looking good (ok, so this isnt the case now, but think about it, maybe its the opposite, some people find calories in water, which is just as bad), and sypathy for people.

or maybe lavos is just a parasite who wants to survive

another random thing i have thought of is chrono triggers belief in creation. maybe because they live so far back they dont believe in evolution , and so call the universe "the entity" the zealians seemed very advanced and i dont think they believed in god. i dunno.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 10:05:41 am »
Well, Lavos evolved humans faster than they should have evolved, besides the point that he made their lives easier by taking out the reptites.
I voted evolution since there really is no God in CT. Not even the planet.

The Zealians possibly believed in Fate, or destiny or something like that. There are doors of destiny....

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 10:47:18 am »
"Evolution versus creationism"? That seems an awfully provocative way of phrasing it. I doubt very much that the Chrono series is based on either of these; whatever role they play in the games is subordinate to the main themes of self-determination and finding harmony with nature.

I think you're (inadvertently?) trying to force a question through a lens that corrupts its meaning. I cannot vote in your poll in good conscience, because I do not recognize the validity of the question.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 10:56:41 am »
Evolution does not stand to reason why/where/how the first living thing became.

And, wait, isn't there calories in water? I mean, isn't there in almost everything?

Since when does advancement undermine the theory of god? I mean, unless any such advancement actually tells us all the true facts of the beginning, there will always be room in theory for creationism and combinations of creationism w/whatever...

Zenning

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 01:32:53 pm »
Someone or something created Lavos.

I'm almost inclined to think it was originally created as a biological weapon,
then it gained sentience and began acting autonomously.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 06:56:46 pm »
or Lavos could just be the ultimate in evolution since it's a DNA whore. Isn't it kind've pointless to hae Lavos gather DNA if it's a weapon? I voted for Evolution, since the closest thing to a divinity in Chronoverse is the Entity, and it's just a metaphor, anyway.

Zenning

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 08:33:28 pm »
Quote from: AuraTwilight
or Lavos could just be the ultimate in evolution since it's a DNA whore. Isn't it kind've pointless to hae Lavos gather DNA if it's a weapon? I voted for Evolution, since the closest thing to a divinity in Chronoverse is the Entity, and it's just a metaphor, anyway.

I keep thinking of Lavos like Deus from Xenogears...

...didn't Masato Kato also write the script for Xenogears?

Deus was indeed a biological weapon, but it gathered DNA...

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 10:08:25 pm »
Quote from: V_Translanka
Evolution does not stand to reason why/where/how the first living thing became.

And, wait, isn't there calories in water? I mean, isn't there in almost everything?

Since when does advancement undermine the theory of god? I mean, unless any such advancement actually tells us all the true facts of the beginning, there will always be room in theory for creationism and combinations of creationism w/whatever...

A calorie is the amount of energy needed to heat a cubic centimeter of water one degree centigrade. Unless you find a way to burn water, it's unlikely you'll find any calories in it.

Quote from: Zenning
Quote from: AuraTwilight

I keep thinking of Lavos like Deus from Xenogears...

...didn't Masato Kato also write the script for Xenogears?

Deus was indeed a biological weapon, but it gathered DNA...

Masato Kato was in charge of the design team for Xenogears, I believe, even if he didn't actually write the script himself.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 11:52:22 pm »
yea, Deus was also didn't have babies or magic powers.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 03:44:11 pm »
Even though there are some signs of religion in the series, evolution is more predominant.

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 11:15:19 pm »
"Revelation overcomes creation
False illusions fade and die
Whatever we awaited, charity or hatred
Whatever we awaited will arise" _\,,/

Dynamism, expressed as Evolution, transformation, mutation... What can be vewied as Creation, for Evolution can be viewed as destruction of the old and creation of the new, among many other earthly plausible concepts crossovering both things

wah

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 06:52:13 pm »
what the hell does that mean?

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 07:18:14 pm »
You forgot theistic evolution as a choice, but it's not really based on any of those themes.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 07:39:23 pm »
Quote from: Hadriel
You forgot theistic evolution as a choice, but it's not really based on any of those themes.

Theistic evolution, as in some God created the universe Big Bang-style and life evolved from there as held by the tenets of evolution? I'm curious as to how many people actually believe that. It would be a healthy step into reality for young-Earth creationists, but a disappointing step backward into mysticism for rational folks.

I really don't see any indication that Lavos was created by some other power. If that were so, it would relieve Lavos of much of its guilt and "evilness," transferring those to the power that created it. Why bother with adding an extra layer in the beauracracy? Lavos is a force unto itself.

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • How do we know we exist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 07:40:58 pm »
It's actually an excuse used by Christian scientists when they go to church.

"Oh, I believe that God let nature handle itself after its creation."

My father uses it as a copout all of the time.