Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Breaking Text Limit?  (Read 1792 times)

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger Breaking Text Limit?
« on: July 08, 2007, 10:59:03 pm »
Ok, i'm not entirely sure how to do this and considering I haven't dealt with any hex's in awhile, i'm basically kinda rusty atm.  So what i'm asking is for help on figuring out how to break the 5 character limit for names.  Increasing it to 6 would be enough for everyone to be happy hopefully.  So...Any help?

Lenophis

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger Breaking Text Limit?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 01:35:08 am »
You'll need to make some changes to the SRAM format, which won't be easy unless you know what you're doing. Beyond that, the name will (should, anyway) display everywhere fine except in battle:

It's going to look awfully crunched with 6 letters.

Did I forget anything? *scratches his head*

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 09:49:51 am »
Mm...I'm using a different font in mine so it looks like 1 more letter could fit perfectly in.

Edit: Well, in 1 of them it wouldn't look right >_>...Then again I can probably lock it so people can't choose which battle gauge to use.

1) Could fit almost nicely
2) ...I hate you
3) Yayayayay

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 10:14:10 am by justin3009 »

Freakyfrankie

• Porrean (+50)
  • I'm a girl! A girl! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 06:49:05 pm »
Don't let this discourage you but I think that font's really ugly. >.> I'm just not a fan of pixellated calligraphic fonts. But it really is good for your six-letter project! ^__^

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 11:54:46 pm »
Ya, it's Star Ocean font.  I took a poll on Chrono Crisis and we just agreed to release to seperate things with a new font and this one.

Freakyfrankie

• Porrean (+50)
  • I'm a girl! A girl! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 07:30:33 am »
Well thats good. ^_^ I'll say it is unique, and while at first is an eyesore, once you release your hack, I'll find myself getting used to it.

Lenophis

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 02:00:46 pm »
Mm...I'm using a different font in mine so it looks like 1 more letter could fit perfectly in.
Fixed width still. No matter.

Regarding SRAM, you'll want to find 7 free bytes (one for each character) so each name will fit 6. Afterwards, you'll need to hack the character naming screen to allow for the sixth position, then hack the routines that accept names to allow the new letter. Beyond that, you need to find the routine(s) that grab and display your character name, and hack that/them so the last letter is also grabbed for display.

It's not too hard, just tedious.