Author Topic: Names needed  (Read 1272 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Names needed
« on: April 21, 2006, 05:43:48 pm »
We need a name for:

-The other world created as a result of time changing in 65000000 B.C.
-The second village to rise after the fall of Zeal

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Re: Names needed
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 06:08:24 pm »
As soon as you told me about the new world I was thinking Dinopolis from CC

--jp

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 06:25:42 pm »
I don't know about the second village, but I guess the "Last Village" would then be renamed "First Village"... Funny but logical.

Are there details about that other world yet? I might have missed something.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 06:27:13 pm by Chrono'99 »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 07:28:32 pm »
The details haven't been worked out. Should Reptites still be alive in some form? Mystics? Should an Ice Age have occurred in that world's history? I think the last two questions are yes, since the Reptites might be a stretch and would be killed by an Ice Age. But it all depends on how this new world comes into existence.

Since humanity will still exist in its current state, perhaps the world altering event can occur after 3000000 B.C., with still enough time for continental drift to change and a big supercontinent to form. I haven't considered exactly what the change will be yet.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 08:01:24 pm »
I think from a Coding standpoint having reptites live and humans die will be easiest to code.  Simply because Reptites are enemies so the "time travlers" could simply be Azala's and it'd be easy enough to have us fight them.  And there's plenty of dinosaurs that could be NPC's and enemies.

And having the world change could be something as easy as the Reptites stealing the Dragon Tooth back.

--jp

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 11:31:25 pm »
Okay, I'm not up on the whole 'other time-travellers' thing, being more versed in the older draft of the plot Hadriel put together, but I like where it's going nonetheless. Anyway, regarding the names... I'll second Chrono'99's 'First Village'. It's simple, and would fit well in the CT style of things, I think. As for the world... do the worlds have names? In CC it was simply 'home' and 'away'. If there are Reptites alive, I'd figure, since the party of heroes are the only ones to know it as being an oddity, they'd just call it 'the Reptite world', or something to the point like that.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 11:55:32 pm »
For the village, how about something mythological? Maybe the "Slopes of Ararat"? Hey, if they can use "San Dorino Mountains"...

As for the world, just plain Terra ought to do. It's exotic enough, and has the right connotations, but it isn't too specific so as to grate against "Home" and "Another."

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 02:48:41 am »
For the village, how about something mythological? Maybe the "Slopes of Ararat"? Hey, if they can use "San Dorino Mountains"...

As for the world, just plain Terra ought to do. It's exotic enough, and has the right connotations, but it isn't too specific so as to grate against "Home" and "Another."

After all, they call it 'Terra Tower', don't they?

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 04:33:03 am »
There was also a "Terra Cave" in CT, above Algetty.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 06:23:11 pm »
How about "Uchronia", or some declinaison of this word? An utopia is a place that isn't supposed to exist... It's also a sort of pun on Greek words: "outopia" basically means "place that doesn't exist", and "eutopia" means "good place".

So... you guess what meanings Uchronia would have. Ironically, it would be a name that both the party and the enemies can use. It's a time that "should not exist" for the party, but it's the "good" time for the other time-travelers.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 06:32:34 pm »
How about "Uchronia", or some declinaison of this word? An utopia is a place that isn't supposed to exist... It's also a sort of pun on Greek words: "outopia" basically means "place that doesn't exist", and "eutopia" means "good place".

Wouldn't it be Atopia? Usually the 'a' prefix is a negation (ie. abussos - whence we get abyss - is 'without bottom'; or atropos = without end). It's true that ou (or ouk, or oukh, if a vowel follows) means no or not, but I can't recall it being used in a compound word. Usually more like 'ouk andreios eimi = I am not strong'. Now, as for the rest of it... chrono is a masculine word, certainly, but I'm not certain of the 'ia' ending. It's what we usually do in English to denote 'place of', but in Greek... it may be the same, I just don't know. I'd say just keep the 'ia' ending, to be safe, as Akhronos would just mean 'no time.' So say it Achronia, I guess. After all, we say 'anachronistic', which is sort of implies time ahead. So I'd follow a similar convention.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 02:13:42 pm »

Wouldn't it be Atopia? Usually the 'a' prefix is a negation (ie. abussos - whence we get abyss - is 'without bottom'; or atropos = without end). It's true that ou (or ouk, or oukh, if a vowel follows) means no or not, but I can't recall it being used in a compound word. Usually more like 'ouk andreios eimi = I am not strong'. Now, as for the rest of it... chrono is a masculine word, certainly, but I'm not certain of the 'ia' ending. It's what we usually do in English to denote 'place of', but in Greek... it may be the same, I just don't know. I'd say just keep the 'ia' ending, to be safe, as Akhronos would just mean 'no time.' So say it Achronia, I guess. After all, we say 'anachronistic', which is sort of implies time ahead. So I'd follow a similar convention.
Well, I suppose that reasoning is possible, but since the word Utopia actually exists and Atopia doesn't, I think Uchronia would fit better.