Author Topic: The Real Way to Spell the Main Characters Name  (Read 7347 times)

Syrek

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
The Real Way to Spell the Main Characters Name
« on: January 06, 2009, 06:39:35 pm »
What is the correct way of spelling the main characters name. Now that theres an extra digit in the DS version, is it appropriate to call him Chrono instead of Crono or should you continue to spell it as Crono as it is the original way of spelling it but only due to a character limit. The reason I ask this is because I am starting a New Game Plus in which this will be my ultimate and perfect playthrough or file. Any thoughts and if this has already been discussed can I please be directed to the appropraiate thread. Thank you.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Way to Spell the Main Characters Name
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 06:57:20 pm »
I think the only one in question is Crono's. I'd leave it as is with everything (even the CTDS trailer in English) calling him "Crono" and not "Chrono" (the closest I've seen is a battle screenshot in which he is called "Chrno" as in "Chrno Crusade"

Syrek

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 06:59:09 pm »
Well I was thinking of calling him Chrono but you make a good point in regards to the trailers, instruction manual and such saying Crono instead of Chrono.

Chocobo_Fan

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Is there no salvation in all the world?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 07:01:37 pm »
You can spell it either way, though I prefer Crono... The literal translation of it is "Kurono", though that's just the Japanese trying to pronounce "Chrono", I think.

If you want the most "accurate" name for him, call him Chrono. If you want a name that actually sounds like a name and not a word, call him Crono. It doesn't really matter, though. Call him whatever you want.

(Oh, I'd recommend calling Frog "Glenn", by the way. I just think it makes more sense... Your choice, though)

Don't freak out if you get something wrong, though. The Nu in the Laruba Ruins can rename your characters, remember.

Syrek

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 07:03:42 pm »
I usually do call Frog "Glenn" as it seems more appropraite considering that people who actually know him will address him as Frog or Glenn depending on how you named him. I think I shall call him Crono. What about Magus. Should his name be changed to Janus?

Chocobo_Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 07:04:53 pm »
Oh yeah, forgot about him. I always call him Janus as well.

Syrek

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 07:07:40 pm »
Which makes sense considering his original name was Janus but he was given the name Magus.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 07:12:55 pm »
I call him Janus, too. And in my two CT AU fics, he is called Janus when he enters the party at North Cape.

Syrek

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 07:20:36 pm »
Doesn't his sister say that as well when your fighting the Dream Devourer in the new ending? If so then it would be correct to call him Janus.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 07:26:02 pm »
No, it wouldn't. Janus takes the name "Magus" during his time among the Mystics (I hate calling them fiends) and changes completely.

I just call him Janus as a means of him returning to his former self, like in "Chrono Trigger Prophecies" by Jerm on IcyBrian.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 07:28:17 pm by Shadow D. Darkman »

Chocobo_Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 07:31:24 pm »
"Maou" (Janus's Japanese name) means, according to the translators, "Dark King" or "Witch King". "Magus" is a title, not a name. The Fiends (Yes, "Fiend" is far more accurate. Their original name was "Demon") simply gave him that title. His name is not Magus, it's Janus.

And also, Schala does indeed call him Janus in Dream's Epilogue, which pretty much seals the deal.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 08:58:46 pm »
Glenn and Janus always seemed like poor choices, my brother uses them but it doesn't quite make sense storywise.

Syrek

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 09:49:45 pm »
It makes perfect story sense to me. Whats the point of Glenn not revealing his true name, and why should Magus become Janus after he joins the party. Its not as if he wanted the name, the Fiends gave him that name as a title or name if you will. Plus Schala does call Magus Janus in the Dreams Epilogue.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 10:00:05 pm »
I always called Magus Janus because I feel that, after the climatic events in 600AD, he sheds the Magus persona and, to a certain extent, reverts to the person who was Janus.  Sort of like how Anikan Skywalker became Darth Vader, and then, briefly, reverted back to the person who is Anikan Skywalker.  Then he died.  But that's beside the point!

Besides, in the Star Wars: Infinities series he survives and joins the Rebellion, taking on an all-white version of the suit to take on Palpatine and the Galactic Empire...

As for Frog, I've always called him Glenn.  Well, maybe not always, seeing as how I didn't know Frog's real name was Glenn my first playthrough...  I also went through a period where I called Robo "Iron".

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 10:26:00 pm »
I once called Robo "Tmntr' or "TerMiNaToR" yeah, I failed it. My skill was not enough.