Author Topic: OMG!  (Read 5138 times)

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
OMG!
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2005, 04:27:35 pm »
Quote from: Lord J esq
and in any case the problem is corrected in Chrono Cross.

Well, yeah, Belthasar helps us by calling Lavos an "it".

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
OMG!
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2005, 05:44:10 pm »
Quote from: Hadriel
What if Lavos is actually a chick?

[Jack Thompson] ZOMG LAVOS DOESNT WEAR CLOTHES BAN KRONCO TIGGER

[Fanboys] ZOMG ZEAL/LAVOS SO HOTT

Lavos is without a gender. In Chrono Trigger it is sometimes referred to as a "he," but this is more like a neutral pronoun rather than a male one, and in any case the problem is corrected in Chrono Cross.

You fail at life.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
OMG!
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2005, 05:46:32 pm »
What if Lavos is actually a chick?

[Jack Thompson] ZOMG LAVOS DOESNT WEAR CLOTHES BAN KRONCO TIGGER

[Fanboys] ZOMG ZEAL/LAVOS SO HOTT

Lavos is without a gender. In Chrono Trigger it is sometimes referred to as a "he," but this is more like a neutral pronoun rather than a male one, and in any case the problem is corrected in Chrono Cross.

You fail at life.

I know what you were getting at. I was taking the opportunity to get that off my chest. I've been itching for weeks to make a Lavos/Flea/Azala thread and put this dubious gender stuff to rest once and for all.

Hadriel

• View Profile
OMG!
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2005, 05:49:39 pm »
Square seems to have this thing for making it hard to tell characters' gender...

*coughfinalfantasycough*

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
OMG!
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2005, 07:28:36 pm »
JAPAN has a thing with making it hard to make character genders ambiguous

*coughalmostallformsofjapanesemediacough*

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
OMG!
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2005, 09:53:16 pm »
I've been itching for weeks to make a Lavos/Flea/Azala thread and put this dubious gender stuff to rest once and for all.

You can remove Azala from that. His gender is revealed in the PSX ending. You can easily tell the he is a man.

jthomp1286

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
OMG!
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2005, 12:29:19 am »
And which ending would this be? It would appear to me that Azala is of the female gender... I just get that impression from the dialog....not to mention the fact she's wearing a pink dress... that kinda gave it away for me.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
OMG!
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2005, 12:56:22 am »
Quote from: jthomp1286
And which ending would this be? It would appear to me that Azala is of the female gender... I just get that impression from the dialog....not to mention the fact she's wearing a pink dress... that kinda gave it away for me.

The PSX one, as in the anime ending.

jthomp1286

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
OMG!
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2005, 01:12:49 am »
Okay... I still dont remember seeing Azala in that ending...

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
OMG!
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2005, 01:13:48 am »
Quote from: nightmare975
Quote from: jthomp1286

The PSX one, as in the anime ending.

Uhh...what? In the PSX 'ending', there IS no Azala...

And it's very clear in the game script that Azala is female.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
OMG!
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2005, 05:52:50 am »
Not to mention the underlings who did the FFChronicles' CT changed a lot of little things in their animated cut scenes.

Crono_Maniac

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
OMG!
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2005, 07:57:30 pm »
How do they change it?

1.  I think you mean the opening movie.  Azala has a masculine face in that one and really just looks masculine.

2.  Flea states that he is male.  He may look female, but I have an answer to that.  Flea's a shapeshifter.  We can clearly see that as he is following you as a bat.  We never truley see his form, and for all we know, he could King Zeal (joke).

3.  I support the idea that Lavos is an it.  We have genderless species throughout our Earth.  Who's to say our concepts of gender even exist in space?  It is extremely unlikely that they do.  Don't say the Lavos need a gender to reproduce, as that is both stupid, as we never see another Lavos.  He's an alien.

I hope that answers your questions.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
OMG!
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2005, 08:34:42 pm »
Quote from: Crono_Maniac
How do they change it?

1.  I think you mean the opening movie.  Azala has a masculine face in that one and really just looks masculine.

2.  Flea states that he is male.  He may look female, but I have an answer to that.  Flea's a shapeshifter.  We can clearly see that as he is following you as a bat.  We never truley see his form, and for all we know, he could King Zeal (joke).

3.  I support the idea that Lavos is an it.  We have genderless species throughout our Earth.  Who's to say our concepts of gender even exist in space?  It is extremely unlikely that they do.  Don't say the Lavos need a gender to reproduce, as that is both stupid, as we never see another Lavos.  He's an alien.

I hope that answers your questions.

Regarding number 3, what then, are the Lavos spawns?

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • How do we know we exist?
    • View Profile
OMG!
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2005, 08:40:30 pm »
It's just as dubious to suggest that Lavos has no gender as it to suggest Lavos is a male/female.

Case in point, stop trying.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
OMG!
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2005, 10:13:03 pm »
Quote from: Crono_Maniac

In Chrono Trigger, Lavos is referred to variously as a "he." This is why many fans believe Lavos is male, but that is a misconception on their part. The usage of "he" is that of the gender-neutral pronoun, which in languages whose pronouns are gendered usually falls to the male gender. ("To each his own," and the like.)

In Chrono Cross the confusing usage of "he" is removed, and Lavos is referred to solely as an "it."

If Lavos were a male, then either there had to have been a female Lavos on the planet, for the purposes of procreation, which there wasn't, or "he" must have been already carrying the Lavos spawn that began to spread across the world 65 million years after Lavos landed. That's a farfetched notion. All the evidence seems to point to a genderless Lavos who procreates asexually.

Incidentally, since you mentioned that gender might not exist among life forms "in space," the most appealing theory (to me) that attempts to explain the evolution of gender, is that two-parent reproduction allows for a much more rapid retention of favorable genetic traits--an implicit survival mechanism. If so, it would be equally plausible to occur in an evolutionary chain throughout the universe. I encourage you to look at some of the literature on this subject, if you're interested.