Author Topic: Gundam Seed  (Read 11629 times)

Feez

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Gundam Seed
« on: February 26, 2007, 01:29:24 am »
One of the greatest anime series ever.

Discuss. :jiraiya:

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Gundam Seed
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 01:30:12 am »
I loved this anime so much.  Mwu was the MAN.

GSD was a let down.  Damn Shinn and his gayness.

Feez

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 01:32:31 am »
Mwu was indeed the man, but it's all about Athrun and the Justice. 8)

GSD was a step-down, but it certainly had its good points. Like Athrun owning Shinn and Athrun owning Shinn.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 01:47:20 am »
Athrun was such a whore though.  He went through Lacus, then Cagalli, then himself, then Meyrin.  Kira was much better.

GSD high points were Kira beating the crap out of everyone early on.

Feez

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 01:56:43 am »
More like Athrun was a pimp. 8) 8) 8) :lol:

GSD high points were Athrun raping everyone.

GSD low points were Athrun getting owned once in a while and Lacus not kissing Kira even though she knew she wanted to. :jiraiya:

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 06:08:49 am »
I'm a UCG fan so I better stick to the original Gundam series... It's a great anime but there's lot of complaint that I heard about GSD for lack of originality.

Rydis

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 11:01:58 am »
I love the series, and agree its better then GSD. I like how they can go from space, to desert, to ocean and ect. It has alot to offer. Other Gundam Vets complain that it just copies off older gundams, but its not really the point. For the newer generation, watching that old animation is just hard to do. Though there are strange things (reprogramming a OS on the fly  :shock: ) and other few plot holes.

Ramsus

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 09:32:26 pm »
I love the series, and agree its better then GSD. I like how they can go from space, to desert, to ocean and ect. It has alot to offer. Other Gundam Vets complain that it just copies off older gundams, but its not really the point. For the newer generation, watching that old animation is just hard to do. Though there are strange things (reprogramming a OS on the fly  :shock: ) and other few plot holes.

I never watched Gundam SEED, but being able to reprogram the operating system on the fly -- as well as any other code, even inside of currently running applications -- is a common characteristic of many Lisp systems, which are typically built around incremental compilers using bottom-up techniques and a REPL to interact with the system and modify it. It's also pretty damn useful when you're a developer, but the Lisp machine pretty much died in the 80s, so you can only get a taste for what it was like by doing Common Lisp development or using EMACS.

Rydis

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 10:06:57 pm »

I never watched Gundam SEED, but being able to reprogram the operating system on the fly -- as well as any other code, even inside of currently running applications -- is a common characteristic of many Lisp systems, which are typically built around incremental compilers using bottom-up techniques and a REPL to interact with the system and modify it. It's also pretty damn useful when you're a developer, but the Lisp machine pretty much died in the 80s, so you can only get a taste for what it was like by doing Common Lisp development or using EMACS.

As in:

Character inside a large mobile fighter, connected through hydraulic pumps blah blah blah, a OS capabile of what gunams are, and then being able to completely rewrite the OS while in use of the gundam in a matter of a minute, seems farfetched. Going off what you say, can say, MS rewrite the XP OS while in XP and have the changes affect immediatly as he writes it?

Ramsus

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 10:51:59 pm »
If XP were written in Lisp and the person had a terminal connection of some sort to the OS REPL, then reasonably, it could be done. If the OS were well-written and designed, a major change could be enacted within a minute, although anything more than a few changes might require some automated development tools and maybe even AI to help -- not so unreasonable in any Gundam universe. Then again, Lisp lends itself to creating powerful abstractions that allow you to manage lots of functionality with minimal code, so a genius coder might be able to get by without any extra tools.

If the whole "changing things on the fly" idea really seems that unreal, consider a real world example. Viaweb was an online web application for building stores written in Common Lisp. Before Viaweb was bought by Yahoo! (making Paul Graham and the other founders rich), they used to debug problems and fix them on the running web server within a matter of a few minutes. They'd fix problems while users were still on the phone with them for support, and almost make them believe there wasn't a problem to begin with. No interruptions.

Or better yet, just look up as much as you can on Lisp Machines and developing on them.

It's really not as far-fetched as it seems.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 10:59:10 pm by Ramsus »

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 11:02:27 pm »
And if anything, an OS being rewriteable on the fly would be essential to the function of machines as gigantic as Gundams anyway. When you consider just how complex the A.I. has to be to control even the slightest motion, the number of bugs that could appear in the code at any time could easily cripple the pilot and render the Gundam useless.

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 12:58:41 am »
Its possible if you have a backup computer but in GS's case there's no such device installed in those gundams.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 02:02:46 am »
Yeah, well, Kira can do that because he is Jesus.  They hacked his genes and shit, and he is a genious.  Plus, if he and Marrue died in the first episode because of a crappy OS, then what sort of series would that be?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 02:09:29 am by Sentenal »

Feez

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 02:08:13 am »
Kira IS Jesus, actually. Jesus Yamato.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 02:14:53 am »
Well, not Jesus Jesus.  He is too emo for that.  But I wouldn't be suprised if he could heal Cancer by shotting them with a beam from the Freedom.