Author Topic: PAX Event Schedule Online & Compendium Meetup(s)  (Read 4764 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
PAX Event Schedule Online & Compendium Meetup(s)
« on: August 13, 2009, 05:58:57 am »
The PAX schedule is now online:

http://www.paxsite.com/schedule.php

Note that this year they're starting at 10:00 am on Friday, so it's a full three-day event now.

I've created this new thread to avoid some confusion that might be caused by organizing our meet-ups in the other PAX thread. This is your definitive go-to center for organizing meet-ups with your fellow Compendiumites! Feel free to arrange your own, individual or small group meetings here.

In addition to smaller meet-ups, I think it would be cool if we did something as a combined group, more formal than just nodding and winking at each other. Maybe lunch? Or dinner? There are many good restaurants within walking distance. There are many non-food options, too, both at PAX itself and in Downtown Seattle. We could see a movie (I'd kind of like to see Ponyo), or check out Pike Place Market, or do the Seattle Underground Tour, which I hear is pretty cool. Or, at PAX, we could play games, organize tomato-throwing at the Square Enix booth, or conceivably kidnap Gabe and Tycho and order them make PAX a never-ending wonderland of fun, sort of like what Chevy Chase did in Wally World at the end of National Lampoon's Vacation.

I think it would be a good idea if everyone who wants to meet up would post their availability times. Then we can compare notes and see what works best for the most people. If there are many scheduling conflicts, or if we just get along so darn well, we could potentially have two big group meetings!

I'll post my own availability times as soon as I've figured out my schedule. It's a big friggin' expo!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: PAX Event Schedule Online & Compendium Meetup(s)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 06:04:22 am »
Extra Notes:

If you haven't been before, the convention center gets very crowded during PAX. If you eat inside the convention center, plan on waiting in line for half an hour--and more during the conventional mealtimes. It would be smarter to bring your own food or eat at a restaurant outside the convention center. There are two malls, Pike Place Market, and several commercial squares within walking distance.

Many of the panels and events fill up very fast. If there's something you absolutely must attend, be sure to show up at least half an hour early to get in line--sometimes one whole hour. The lines for some of the biggest events, like the keynote, start filling up many hours before the actual event.

The exhibition hall will be jam packed. Expect to spend a lot of time just dealing with the human traffic.

Be smart about planning your schedule so that you don't end up spending all of PAX in line. That sort of happened to me last year, and it was lame.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 01:29:56 am »
I will arrive in Seattle on Thursday. So I will have all of Friday and Saturday open of scheduling, as for Sunday I'll be heading out that evening or late after noon.

Man I haven't been to Pike Place Market in years...

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 03:49:23 am »
I mentioned this in the other thread, but it bears mentioning in here. I'm planning on going to PAX for Friday and Saturday only, so that's my availability. I also may not be available after the show Saturday, but that's not carved in stone at this point.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 11:28:34 pm »
I can definitely do Saturday. Not sure about Sunday. I'm up for going out to eat or anything : D. Anytime on Saturday would work, and maybe Sunday. It just depends on how much I like the con whether I will pay for Sunday admission or not. 

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 10:04:46 pm »
So, to the Seattle natives, where is a very convenient local to met at? Plus how many are we expecting?

ZaichikArky
Radical_Dreamer
Lord J Esq
KebreI/l
Kara Kazeneko
V_Translanka(?)
Zephira
Alcyone(?)

Thats I find in the other thread.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 03:06:45 am by KebreI »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 09:07:38 pm »
In the area of the Convention Center, there's the center itself, the Westlake Center (a mall which is serviced by the monorail), Game Works and Pike Place, the famous market. All of those are in walking distances, although Pike Place might be a bit long and Game Works might be fairly crowded. Any other thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:10:18 pm by Radical_Dreamer »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 09:46:50 pm »
Someone wear a hat with a "Faf" name tag and I'll be grateful. c:

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 03:27:23 am »
Someone wear a hat with a "Faf" name tag and I'll be grateful. c:
I'll get some sort of effigy worthy of FaFniR.

Kara Kazeneko

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • Kara's DeviantArt Page
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 04:15:57 am »
Location suggestion = The Zen garden area outside, located through doors at the far end of the 1st floor area that's accessible from the Pike Street entrance (a.k.a. - go through the Pike St. entrance and keep going straight, head past the escalators and past the wall covered in LED text art screens).

HOWEVER... I'm sad to say that I will be unable to attend at all. I originally thought that I would be going to KumoriCon for just one day, but discovered today that I had confused what my travel/hotel buddy intended - we'll be going all 3 days of the con. I wish there was some way I could meet up with you guys, but considering that my friend went through a lot of grief over hotel room issues for the con (room got booked for the wrong days, she couldn't get her money back, and she had to rent another room somewhere farther away), there's no way I'm going to back out this (plus, I've never been to KumoriCon, and a bunch of friends that I only get to see at SakuraCon will be attending).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 12:42:22 am by Kara Kazeneko »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 04:27:54 am »
How do people feel about Saturday then?

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 04:37:46 am »
I think Saturday would be better, as I maybe a bit tired for part of Friday. Time? I would want it in the mid-afternoon or early evening.( 13:00-18:00)

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 07:54:01 am »
The panels seem interesting(though very little I'm personally interested in) . I think I might want to go to the Monkey Island one, Sex in video games one, and perhaps one more. I also want to go to the concert and that other late night activity (can't recall it...)

My friend and I have pretty much decided to go to the con on Saturday all day and then do sight seeing on Sunday. She want to go to this large sega arcade in Seattle. I'll have to go research some fun things I want to do. I get to Seattle late Friday night, so I am unavailable Friday.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 09:16:27 pm »
Game Works is that arcade. It's not far from the Convention Center.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 12:14:01 am »
Game Works is owned by Sega...?