Author Topic: New Gen Consoles  (Read 1149 times)

Radical Pan

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Girl who stole the Stars
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
New Gen Consoles
« on: September 22, 2009, 11:12:12 pm »
Alright, assuming most of us have stayed gamers after playing Chrono Trigger/Cross, I'm gonna make this thread. I want to highlight that I don't really want to create a versus thread, so if you don't like what other users say about your favourite console, just ignore it.

• Do you own a new gen console? Which one(s), and why?
Yes, handhelds are welcome.
  • What games do you own?
  • Drop your PSN ID / Gamer Tag / Friend Code.

I'll answer first:

Do you own a new gen console? Which one(s), and why?
Yes. PlayStation 3, 80GB.

Actually, my first 3rd gen console was a Nintendo Wii, but after 5 months of owning it and playing all the games that interested me, I got awfully bored. There were no new games that interested me coming up, and the existing ones bored me awfully, so I decided to sell it and get what I originally intended to buy, but I couldn't afford back at that time, the first models of PS3 costed $700 here (hello Latin American crappy markets), and they only sold the MGS4 bundle. I got the Wii because my mom won a $250 club at a store, and she gave it to me, so my Wii costed me $50... and add an extra $75 to that, since I had to buy SSB Brawl separately. I borrowed all the other games I played, from Mario Galaxy to Trauma Centers and No More Heroes.
I've owned my PS3 for 10 months now, and I have never get bored of it, games I like keep popping up, and I've loved most of the existent ones. But why I decided to buy a PS3 instead of a 360? Well, I never liked the first Xbox to begin with, the controllers, the exclusives... except for 360's Mass Effect, but I could and did play that one on my PC. Sony's been with me all way long since the PlayStation was out, and I liked their exclusives better, also, I do love watching Blu-Ray movies, and it was a life savior when my desktop screwed up.
Oh, I love Japanese stuff, especially music, and Japan and America's Blu-Ray zone are the same <3 I can play Japanese games with no problem at all, and watch their blu-rays as well.

What games do you own?
DBZ Burst Limit
Soul Calibur IV
Rock Band 2
Fallout 3
KillZone 2
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
Fight Night Round 3
Assassin's Creed
Fat Princess
Crystal Defenders
Marvel VS Capcom 2
Katamari Forever (haven't arrived yet)

Drop your PSN ID
RadicalPan  :grimm
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 05:04:04 pm by Radical Pan »

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Gen Consoles
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 11:21:54 pm »
Wii. Got it when the whole 360 melting and exploding was still going on and PS3 was overpriced and everyone thought Wii would be best thing ever. I'm disappointed, but then again, I'm the type of guy who behaves like the veteran saying "You young whippersnappers have it easy and lame! Why in my day, gaming was much more difficult but rewarding! Your petty Gears Of War couldn't hold a candlestick to Battletoads!" :P

I've got
Super Smash bros. Brawl
No more Heroes
Sonic Unleashed
Wii Sports
Metroid prime 3 Corruption
Blast Works

I had plenty more but today i traded in a good number of games to help me save up for a PSP. They were games I never touched though.
Bust A Move Bash
SoulCalibur Legends
Medal Of Honor Heroes 2
And a large stack of older games.
The first 2 on my list are what I play the most and at the moment I am awaiting Tatsunoko VS Capcom and No More Heroes 2 Desparate Struggle.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 11:31:54 pm »
* Wii. Christmas present for both my brother and I. I don't have plans for getting either of the other two, mainly due to the lack of games that I would want to play. If any, the one I would want to own is the PSP, but that's not a console, so...

*I've got:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Fire Emblem - Radiant Dawn
Super Paper Mario
Tales of Symphonia - Dawn of the New World

Yeah, a few. I'm not counting the GC ones I own (though they are also few) since, well, they aren't Wii games.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 11:55:34 pm »
Great thread! I am what you call a "fanboy"(I hear it's genderless) so I have never owned anything other than nintendo consoles. I have a japanese wii right now that is modded and can play US games. I think I have around 5 games, and when I find my friends code for mario kart wii, I'll post it. Nintendo games have friends codes for individual games so... unless ppl here play mario kart wii (the only real game I play online for the wii), there's not much sense to post it.

Also, anyone here play SF IV on the PC? My bf managed to get it running on my laptop so I'm excited and itching for a good battle!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 12:36:45 am by ZaichikArky »

tripehound

• Porrean (+50)
  • Autistic Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 04:34:45 pm »
Just for the sake of clarification, as my silly mind was confused at first; the PS3, XBox 360, and Wii are from the seventh generation of video game consoles. The third was the 8-bit era: NES, Atari 7800, SEGA Master System, etc.

I don't have a traditional 7th Gen console, but I do have a Nintendo DS. Is that appropriate for this thread?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 04:36:19 pm by tripehound »

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 04:56:57 pm »
wait.
i was gonna say i had none of them.
but i have an n64 in my room.
does that count?

Radical Pan

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Girl who stole the Stars
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 05:01:57 pm »
Just for the sake of clarification, as my silly mind was confused at first; the PS3, XBox 360, and Wii are from the seventh generation of video game consoles. The third was the 8-bit era: NES, Atari 7800, SEGA Master System, etc.

I don't have a traditional 7th Gen console, but I do have a Nintendo DS. Is that appropriate for this thread?
Oh? I'm sorry, I've know this gen as the third one for a long while, but I guess you do hold the truth on your statement, after researching a little more. On all the marketing studies I've read, they were worked as third generation, I guess that would be the popular and yet wrong way of knowing them.  :picardno

Handhelds (DS and PSP) are welcome, they are part of this gen.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 05:04:51 pm by Radical Pan »

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
Re: New Gen Consoles
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 05:49:26 pm »
If that's the case, I also have a DS.

For it I currently own
Custom Robo Arena
Metroid prime Hunters
Megaman ZX
Megaman ZX Advent
Chrono Trigger(duh)
Pokemon Diamond Version

I have had plenty of others on it. But none of them have really held my interest for longer than a month. This specially goes for nintendogs. Great game, but I hate the concept you can't leave it alone for 2 seconds, even with the power off, without it going into a state in which it might as well be dead. It's like choosing between a real dog or a fake dog, considering how much care the thing needs. Why I've never gotten any of the Animal Crossing games.
Not sure what looks interesting strongly to get. Most I can say is Scribblenauts. but I'm iffy cause it doesn't seem like the type of game to want to play for a long time, just a gimmicky, hype thing that'll hold for a month, and then trade in for a quarter of what I bought it for.

I'm gonna get a PSP soon. Just have to make the cash to buy me a game along with it(Maverick Hunter X, Megaman Powered Up or Dissidia). Battlefront 2 would also be a good get considering I didn't know it was on there! But would it be as good?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 07:22:09 pm »
Okay, since it's possible now, I add the NDS.

Though also I own few games, just:

Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest V
Fire Emblem - Shadow Dragon
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Lost Magic
Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Platinum

Though I do plan to get a few more, like Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver, Golden Sun DS, SaGa2, and whatever else that may come out that I get interested with.

As for the PSP, like I wrote before, I would like to get it. Lately there has been more PSP games I would like to play, but I doubt I'll get one soon.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 09:04:31 pm »
I have a Wii and a DS. Bought the Wii with Xmas moneys I think, and I've been itching for one of the new PS3 slims, mainly cause my PS2 and DVD player stopped reading discs, and I figure I may as well have some more functionality that won't need upgrading in the next five to ten years.

Wii Games
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (i don't like that there is no calibration feature for aiming but i love rail shooters! plus there's zombies!)
House of the Dead 2&3 (calibration feature makes this game work much better than RE:UC with gun. graphics are sub-par but could be considered classic. plays exactly like the old arcade games! it almost feels like my wiimotes turn blue and pink respectively when i play this one.)
Super Smash Bros Brawl (i think the N64 version of this game was the best, the GC fucked up the physics, and the Wii version is back to the basics, but keeps the expanded roster fans are now familiar with.)
Zelda Twilight (about halfway through. a little repetitive. then again, it IS zelda...)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (fun for a few hours at a time)
Guitar Hero World Tour (see marvel ultimate alliance)
Mad World (see guitar hero)

Wii Games I NEVER play but for some reason own
Simpsons Game (got two levels in. controls are clunky. graphics are pixelly. goals are tedious and unnecessarily complex.)
Wii Sports (my 50+ year old father loves this one though)
Super Mario Galaxy (i prefer old marios)
Mario Party (guitar hero is a better "party" game)

Wii Games I want when I can again afford luxuries
Conduit (i likes me some wii shooters!)
Beatles Rock Band (all the stuff i got for guitar hero will work for this game, plus i'll actually enjoy all of the music in the game for once!)
Mario Kart (but i have to buy MORE accessories)

DS/GBA Games (most of which I haven't had time to finish except CT)
CT (whoo!)
Dragon Quest 4 (five minutes in)
Mario Kart Advance (beat it. loved it.)
Fire Emblem (SRPGs aren't my thing really, but i like where this one is going.)
FF6 Advance (this and CT are the only reasons i GOT a DS in the first place, but i am very happy with it for the record.)
Contra 4 (HELL YEAH MOTHERFUCKER!)
Warioware somethingorother (good for killing ten minutes or so at a time)
New Super Mario Bros (hella fun, old school style with smb world attitude and nice crisp clean new age graphics. i don't get the name though. what are they going to call the next one? New New Mario?)

I have a ton of Wiiware and VC games cause I'm a nerd like that, but I don't have access to which specific titles, so I'll opt not to post them till I get within viewing range of my white plastic beauty.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 09:12:04 pm by Mr Bekkler »

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 06:23:47 pm »
Finally got that PSP today. Got Dissidia for it. First game. Seems pretty neat. I still stand by my other thread though, what with the whole "This is a great game, but they clearly could have done more, such as oh I don't know use other universes besides Final fantasy like...
FINAL FANTASY
DRAGON QUEST
CHRONO
KINGDOM HEARTS
ARMORED CORE
RADIATA STORIES
VAGRANT STORY
MANA
ETC."
But yeah, once you get past all it's completely confusing and strange methods and means, the PSP is good.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 06:40:57 pm »
Look into custom firmware if you want to make use of emulators/Remotejoy.

anonymouse

• Porrean (+50)
  • Blown along by the wind...
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 12:27:46 pm »
I have the PSP too =)

I only own a few games, though, (since I'm a student with no income >_>), such as:

Crisis Core
Final Fantasy Tactics
Patapon 2
Persona

I just bought the last one yesterday. I'm itching to give it a try, only I left my PSP in my hostel room. Damn.