Poll

If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?

Eliminate all the funny accents.
6 (3.7%)
Increase the game's difficulty.
9 (5.5%)
Give Zoah some clothes.
4 (2.4%)
Totally different battle system -- return to ye olde Active Time Battle System days!
9 (5.5%)
Fewer playable characters altogether -- a Final Fantasy VI-size roster can produce just the right balance between variety and character development.
40 (24.4%)
MORE cute comic relief characters -- the story's too depressing as it is!
3 (1.8%)
Greater involvement from the CT crew -- especially Crono, Marle, Lucca, Magus, and Robo.
45 (27.4%)
Make one or more of the following characters playable: Dario, Belthasar, Miguel, Garai, the small Fire Dragon, other (please specify).
6 (3.7%)
Better explain the underlying story using Compendium theory, and in a way that isn't so esoteric and cramped into the last minutes of the game.
23 (14%)
OTHER! (Please post what!)
19 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Author Topic: If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?  (Read 81625 times)

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
Re: If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?
« Reply #240 on: March 30, 2009, 08:52:36 pm »
::Reads slowly::  Hmmm . . .  Looks to me like your worst problem is going to be with the very first item on your AI list.  I may be wrong, but I think I've only seen enemies in CC react to two stimuli:  entering critical or being attacked with an Element of a specific colour.  There may not be a routine in the game as it currently exists that would allow an enemy to react to PC status, or the lack thereof.  The rest looks doable.  (I don't think I'd like to fight that version of Miguel, though!)

I've been reading what documentation's been assembled so far on CC's guts, and . . . man.  I used to think I was a pretty decent programmer, but I was never much into assembly language.  I can sort of follow what ZeaLitY et al. are doing, but the chances of my making a useful contribution are slim.  I guess I'll just sit here quietly in a corner and write scene scripts while I wait for them to finish. :)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 30, 2009, 09:08:42 pm »
That Miguel sure is dangerous... I would fight it, no matter how difficult!

Bohepans

• Porrean (+50)
  • I oft feel I actually am split into two people...
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 31, 2009, 01:33:23 am »
Oh! I forgot to mention. Miguel also learned something from Dario...how to counterattack.
Holy Dragon Sword (Black); MeteorShower (all non-Black techs).
Having fun yet? @_@
(And don't get me started on how I'd rebuild Dario's countering plan...XD)
[And on that note, I gave...pretty much every boss in the game at least some (albeit limited for lower-end bosses, of course) means of countering a few things. XD ^_^; I have high hopes of one day, even if I must wait years, seeing these ideas get into a Chrono Cross hack. I'll give the CC fans the challenge they never got, first time around! O_O! They'll be despairingly humming the Wily Stage 1 theme from Mega Man 1 while crying about being hit by UltraNova AGAIN. Ahahahahahah! ..........Iiiii'm sorry, was I saying something?]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 01:43:37 am by Bohepans »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 31, 2009, 01:45:51 am »
I don't care, more difficulty is more fun to me. Well, at least in the Chrono games.

Besides, he will still be beatable, that's a fact that will never change. Though that way of behavior is best for a New Game+, since certainly one playing CC for the first time will find it nearly impossible to the point of giving up.

Actually, having the bosses with better AI in New Game+ (and stronger too) could be another thing I would change in CC.

Bohepans

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 31, 2009, 01:57:04 am »
Oh, they'd definitely get boosted in NewGame Plus - but anyway, yeah, this idea for a hack would definitely be a challenge hack - not for the first timers. @_@ First timers would cry, facing my counter-inproved Dario. @_@
Speaking if NG+...
"All bosses have double Evasion, 99 Accuracy, and +4800 HP. [Exception: Ozzie, Slash, Flea.] Bosses get a further HP bonus equal to ([Party's Current Star Level]-48)x100. Bosses get a bonus to Strength, Vitality, Magic, and Spirit, equal to [Party's Current Star Level]/2, rounded up.
Basic Example: Mama Komodo, party at 48 Stars. HP: 4960. Strength: 37. Magic: 31. Vitality: 25. Spirit: 24. Evasion: 20. Accuracy: 99.
Basic Example 2: Miguel, party at 73 Stars. HP: 9250. Strength: 106. Magic: 57. Vitality: 92. Spirit: 51.
[Note that I'm not swearing to these figures as far as any knowledge of enemy stats in the base, unhacked game. It's more of just an idea of how Mama Komodo and Miguel might look, not the exact stats they'd be given.]

All instances of level 3 or less elements are replaced with their level 4 equivalent, for enemies and bosses.
Basic Example: Harle uses MeteorShower instead of Photon Beam."

Sound like fun? @_@
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 02:09:38 am by Bohepans »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 31, 2009, 02:07:23 am »
If such a hack is made one day, I would definitely play it. A hard challenge, but one I would accept and aim to pass, no matter how long it may take.

Bohepans

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 31, 2009, 02:09:23 am »
My kind of gamer.  :D Heh heh. If I ever do get to make this hack, I shall try not to disappoint you... (Well, or anyone else playing it in hopes of a challenge for that matter.)

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 31, 2009, 08:45:26 am »
I guess that makes me a wimp--I like the combat in my RPGs easy.  :lol:

Bohepans

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 31, 2009, 12:29:14 pm »
Aww, don't feel bad! Just stick to Final Fantasy 7.
*shot*
I was kidding! @_@ I like FF7, dammit...which...has...nothing to do with easy battles or anything... >.>; *cough*
(Quite sadly, just to briefly note, I also have a lot of ideas for an FF7 hack - far more than Chrono Cross, which shames me a little, but at the same time it shows I have tons of imagination...or rather, tons of excess free time on my hands? XD)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 12:31:50 pm by Bohepans »

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 01, 2009, 06:33:34 pm »
Both of the above?  :lol:

Just to show how much of a wimp I am . . . I've never beat the Emerald or Ruby weapons in FF7.  Too lazy to do the grinding required.

(Is it just me, or have we conspired to create a fair amount of thread drift here?)

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 03, 2009, 05:48:50 pm »
Take off ZOAH's helmet. I wanna see what he looks like.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 04, 2009, 08:16:56 pm »
Not to mention put on some more clothing.

Bohepans

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 04, 2009, 08:23:28 pm »
He culd put an eye out, in cold weather!
Har har, I almost think I'm slightly funny...... >.>;

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 04, 2009, 09:45:06 pm »
One of my pet peeves is the naming system. You talk to Poshul and it tells you it's Poshul. Then, Poshul joins yer party and you can name her whatever within the six character limit. Same with a whole lot of other characters. Like Guile. He tells you his name is Guile, then you name him whatever. What I think would be cool is if they didn't tell you the name until after you got them or they were ungettable. Like after the Viper Manor thing, you can't get Guile to my knowledge. Then he can say he's Guile.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #254 on: April 05, 2009, 11:54:21 am »
No, it fits the theme that everyone's just Serge's whore (who himself is Leena's whore) that he can call them whatever he likes and they all eat it up...