Author Topic: In search of a comprehensive list of time travel goofs  (Read 4794 times)

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
In search of a comprehensive list of time travel goofs
« on: August 20, 2005, 06:23:37 pm »
I would like to dedicate this thread to the accumulation of all quirks, queries, and quandaries that present themselves in the Chrono series.  If you wish to contribute, please list all of the time/dimensional travel plot holes (be they major or not) that you have noticed or that you recall being discussed on the Compendium. I request that this thread not be used to discuss the problems.  (If you cannot resist, please form a new thread!)

This compendium, if you will, should help me out greatly in ensuring that my framework has got everything covered. Thanks!

~ Sir Frog (a.k.a. dacb1984)

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 06:25:32 pm »
The only real plot hole that has no explination is Doan being brought back by Lucca after they defeated Lavos.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 07:27:30 pm »
Does plot-holes caused by the Compendium's proposed laws count? If so, then there's a problem about Time Bastard: Kid time-traveled at least once but her pendant didn't fade out of existence (according to TB it should since Marle's Pendant already has time traveler immunity).

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 07:34:06 pm »
Quote from: Chrono'99
Does plot-holes caused by the Compendium's proposed laws count?
Yes.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 07:40:58 pm »
Marle getting erased.  I don't like the entity excuse, its a cop-out.

Doan existing in 2300 when Marle time travels.

Guardians (family line) existing when Ayla time travels.

Another World not getting thrown into the DBT.

And I don't think Kids pendant is the same as Marles, so I don't think that qualifies.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 10:36:13 pm »
Quote from: SilentMartyr
The only real plot hole that has no explination is Doan being brought back by Lucca after they defeated Lavos.

The obvious answer is that Lucca brought back Doan from the new future.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 01:32:49 am »
Marle getting erased. I don't like the entity excuse, its a cop-out.

Entity Excuse. Ha!

Doan existing in 2300 when Marle time travels.

Holy crap, people! Is it that hard to understand that Lucca brought him back before the future was changed?

Guardians (family line) existing when Ayla time travels.

because Ayla is still alive >_>;; Kino's the one confirmed as a descendant by the way. So it doesn't matter. Kino can bone whoever the hell he wants and still get a Marle in the end. It worked in the Frog+Leene ending.

Another World not getting thrown into the DBT.

TIME-SPLIT!

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 04:59:41 am »
What's the point of this thread? It's like lumping threads that already exist into one thead or something...Which actually kind of happens in those threads anyhow...

It's not an excuse or a cop-out if it makes the most sense. It's basically the best, most plausible theory based off of what's known.

The Doan thing is hard because you can keep dibs on Lucca the entire time if you want...

The Guardian thing's discussed, I believe, in the axioms & such & such...Like I said, anything that's brought up here will probably have it's own thread already or be something that could be part of a previous thread...this thread isn't needed.

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 05:44:11 am »
If you feel this thread isn't needed, please, feel free not to post.  I just wanted to ensure that I was not missing any inconsistencies between the accepted theories on this site and the games themselves.  I made it quite clear in my first post that I was aware that everything is covered in some post, somewhere.  The purpose of this post was simply to consolidate them.  That's all.  

I would not have posted anything had I found it easy to simply search all of the existing threads.  It wasn't easy.  And so I posted.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 06:01:09 am »
It seems as though I'd rather see a thread simply asking "Where is 'this or that' thread?"...but w/e...This forum itself's only got like 2 or 3 pages of threads...and each forum has it's own specific section of theory or w/e...I guess I don't see how it would be so hard if you wanted to find something (plus, there's the search button). Also, yes, you say that they're discussed elsewhere, which was my qualm in the first place.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 06:12:49 am »
For Marle, history wasn't altered until after Crono got there; you have to actually talk to her to see her vanish.  By this point, both Crono and Lucca had time traveler's immunity, so their memories and bodies are protected from changes in the timeline, leaving them free to go get Marle back in the new timeline, which I will remind you that their mere presence created.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 11:27:14 am »

Holy crap, people! Is it that hard to understand that Lucca brought him back before the future was changed?

TRY AND LISTEN FOR ONCE.  Doan is Marle decendant, correct?  You remmber the part of CT when they FIRST time travel to 2300 from 1000?  History wise, Marle would have completely disappeared, only reappearing again in 2300.  Your entire response is IDIOTIC.  Doan didn't go anywhere in this example, MARLE DID.  DOAN was in 2300.  His ansestor disappeared.  He does not have TTI.  History should have been re-writen WITHOUT HIM.

because Ayla is still alive >_>;; Kino's the one confirmed as a descendant by the way. So it doesn't matter. Kino can bone whoever the hell he wants and still get a Marle in the end. It worked in the Frog+Leene ending.

I know Kino is the confirmed descendant, but its obvious who the creators intended his mate to be.  And the Frog+Leene ending is NOT CANON.

TIME-SPLIT!

No shit, Sherlock.  We don't know what causes time splits to happen.  We don't know what was so special about Serge living or dieing that caused the split.

@V_T, he asked for us to lump all the plot holes together, so I did.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 12:58:51 pm »
TRY AND LISTEN FOR ONCE. Doan is Marle decendant, correct? You remmber the part of CT when they FIRST time travel to 2300 from 1000? History wise, Marle would have completely disappeared, only reappearing again in 2300. Your entire response is IDIOTIC. Doan didn't go anywhere in this example, MARLE DID. DOAN was in 2300. His ansestor disappeared. He does not have TTI. History should have been re-writen WITHOUT HIM.

Well fucking excuuuuuuuuuse me! English isn't my first language, jackass. Anyway, since Marle is fated to return to 1000 anyway, it doesn't matter. Time is linear for Marle and Doan, sure, but from the Entity's point of view, she was back as soon as she left.

I know Kino is the confirmed descendant, but its obvious who the creators intended his mate to be. And the Frog+Leene ending is NOT CANON.

Yea, I know. But the sheer fact that it's a possible (if not fake) ending doesn't negate the laws it presents. As far as the timeline is concerned, as long as one of the original parents is involved, it doesn't matter. as for Ayla, well, see above.

No shit, Sherlock. We don't know what causes time splits to happen. We don't know what was so special about Serge living or dieing that caused the split.

Because he's the Arbiter, he has a 50/50 chance of living, and his life is so inextricibly important to the timeline that his choices and actions are Earth-shattering?

Or maybe it was because of that damn Time Egg, whatever.

Anyway, here's one, if it counts.

Ayla is the one who names Lavos. It means big fire. How the HELL did Zeal, the Dragonians, and the futuristic society of 1999 and onward know the exact same name?

Naz

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 01:21:44 pm »
That was pretty rude, Aura...No need to be like that. We're all friends here right?

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 01:28:45 pm »
I show respect to those who show it back.  I didn't take likely to "Holy crap people, is it THAT hard to understand?", infering I don't know what I'm talking about.

And there is not "fate" in CT.  The whole game is supposed to show there is no fate, you can change your future, change fate.  Marle was not fated to return to 1000 because there is no such thing in CT.