Author Topic: Movies thread  (Read 8796 times)

ShoeMagus

• Guardian (+100)
  • "We are...the dreamers of Dreams."
    • View Profile
Re: Movies thread
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2010, 02:11:26 am »
Nosferatu is good. As long as we're on Silent films, I'd recommend Lon Chaney Senior's Phantom of the Opera. It still managed to shock me, even though its from the twenties.

I saw the new Wolfman on Friday. Great effects and make up, cool production, a story line that is just about okay. Not it's great predecessor, but I think its worthy of the name at least.

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2010, 05:38:18 pm »
Nosferatu is good. As long as we're on Silent films, I'd recommend Lon Chaney Senior's Phantom of the Opera. It still managed to shock me, even though its from the twenties.

I saw the new Wolfman on Friday. Great effects and make up, cool production, a story line that is just about okay. Not it's great predecessor, but I think its worthy of the name at least.
You can't go wrong with Phatom - The Movie (1920s & 2004) or Musical.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2010, 06:54:57 pm »
I love Movie night with my friends, Ever week we get one person picks two movies that we watch. But after a few months of films like Tenacious D, Step Brothers, Star Trek: First Contact, and Spider-man 2, I am so looking forward to my night tonight. For we watch Primer and Millennium Actress.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2010, 06:59:26 pm »
Millennium Actress
W00t!

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2010, 07:21:13 pm »
I spent a day last week trying to find a decent copy of the 1939 classic Wuthering Heights on DVD. Why such a classic movie is rare and out of print makes no sense to me. I just discovered that it's been posted on YouTube. If you haven't seen it, I highly reconmend it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BTdQ3eomP8

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2010, 07:58:29 pm »
I spent a day last week trying to find a decent copy of the 1939 classic Wuthering Heights on DVD. Why such a classic movie is rare and out of print makes no sense to me. I just discovered that it's been posted on YouTube. If you haven't seen it, I highly reconmend it:

You have no idea how useful this is to me. We're reading Wuthering Heights for class, and never once did I bother to see if a movie was released, much less one I could watch on youtube! Thanks for the find.

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2010, 08:39:20 pm »

You have no idea how useful this is to me. We're reading Wuthering Heights for class, and never once did I bother to see if a movie was released, much less one I could watch on youtube! Thanks for the find.

Let me warn you that the particular film adaption is very "Hollywoody" and they cut out the 2nd half of the book from the film and take out a lot of the gothic undertones. Basically every film adaption ignores the 2nd half of Wuthering Heights and tends to only focus on the relationship between Heathcliff and Catherine and not on his subsequent assholiness after her death and him being a dick to all the kids from the next generation of moor dwellers.

You're very lucky that you're reading that book for class. It's my favorite book. I never had the opportunity to read it for class and read it on my own. I've read some pretty terrible books for school, but that one is fantastic. It requires a little willing suspension of disbelief for the way it's narrated, but it truly is a fine piece of literature.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2010, 10:12:25 pm »
I'm a big fan of the old classics, so this movie didn't let me down one bit. I thought it was wonderful.

Though perhaps I should have finished the novel before watching the movie, but . . . eh. I will be doing that now. It truly is a great story.

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2010, 02:28:26 am »
I'm a big fan of the old classics, so this movie didn't let me down one bit. I thought it was wonderful.

Though perhaps I should have finished the novel before watching the movie, but . . . eh. I will be doing that now. It truly is a great story.

I saw the movie before reading the book, and I actually didn't mind it. Since the movie is only the first half of the book, you get to whet your appetite for further depth into that story with the second half so you don't have it completely spoiled. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie and know you'll love the rest of the book. Glad to have another Wuthering Heights fan among us.

Speaking of classics, there is a little known movie from the early 90's you may like if you're into old movies. It's a film called "Oscar" starring Sylvester Stallone. It's a comedy about a gangster who is trying to go straight and the mishaps he has during his first day of "going legit". The comedy and pacing aren't like modern comedies but have the comedic timing of films from the 30s and 40s, giving it a real charm. The acting is brilliant and it's hilarious for all the right reasons.

Here's the opening scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaDgyqZxeCY

And the rest of the parts can be found starting here (for some reason the guy who uploaded the movie didn't upload the very very begining and someone else did):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF1Z6Z788es

Edit: Fun Fact. Tim Curry (from the Rocky Horror Picture Show) plays one of the main supporting characters and Arleen Sorkin (who voices Harley Quinn in Batman) has a very small part as a secretary. If you're a fan of the 90's Batman animated series, you'll be able to recognize her by her voice. There are a few other well-known actors in it too you may recognize. Don't want to spoil all of them. ^_-
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 02:50:28 am by BearFrog »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2010, 06:46:04 am »
Just watched Léon (The Professional). It still rocks as much as I remember. Though watching it now only reinforces the idea that Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai is a kind of black version of Léon. Both excellent movies about tragic assassin characters...and the little girls (/& a French ice cream truck man) that love them. >_>

But seriously, Natalie Portman taught me that child actors don't have to be terrible drags on movies.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2010, 02:33:42 pm »
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

I had little expectations of this movie, but I was surprised! Disney did a great job. I certainly recommend watching it. Jake Gyllenhaal (as Prince Dastan) was wonderful as an actor.

It's been quite some time since I played the actual game, though, so I will be doing that to compare storylines.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2010, 06:37:05 am »

I only recently saw American Werewolf in London and was impressed as hell! That's what a monster movie should be, and the ending is great! No bullshit. Boom bang pow. Roll credits. You can almost hear the director saying "Aftermath? Fuck it. I just directed horror gold, I'll just let some ... Frenchman try to figure out what happens next."

Trebuchet

• Guardian (+100)
  • Mister Jean
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2010, 04:43:17 pm »
Saw Jaws for the first time on Halloween the other day.
I was surprised how well it holds up today.

On a lesser note,
I watched Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter a few weeks ago.
Anyone with a sense of humor will enjoy a movie where Jesus fights Rabid Atheists and Lesbian Zombies.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2011, 04:36:08 am »
Rise of the Planet of the Apes lives up to my expectations. It's good. Seriously, coming from someone who is a die hard fan of the original.

Also, round of applause for Tom Felton, for going down in history as one of the few people privileged to say one of the greatest and most memorable lines in movie history. Congrats, you damn villain you.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2011, 06:03:58 pm »
Rise of the Planet of the Apes lives up to my expectations. It's good. Seriously, coming from someone who is a die hard fan of the original.

Also, round of applause for Tom Felton, for going down in history as one of the few people privileged to say one of the greatest and most memorable lines in movie history. Congrats, you damn villain you.

Excellent! I can't wait to see it, as a big fan of the original AND the Tim Burton version. I wonder, I know it wasn't meant to connect with Burton's version, but is it really a reboot?