Author Topic: Turn Based Combat  (Read 4998 times)

Kilfer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Myndflame.com (or) myspace.com/sterence
    • View Profile
    • My teams movie site. Myndflame movies are ours
Re: Turn Based Combat
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2008, 03:31:01 am »
I'm not sure what points either of you guys are making, I was simply asking for clarification on their being tons of RPGs on the PC. Honestly I don't game on the PC often, outside of emulation.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2008, 04:22:29 am »
There are a ton of American RPGs on the PC?

Yes. I'm sure it's close to the majority of American RPGs are made for PC.

I'm a strong advocate for the console out doing the PC

This is kind of a ridiculous statement if you ask me...PCs are always going to be the top-of-the-line consoles available because graphics cards for them obviously release years & years before new home systems come out. And PCs are also obviously used in the making of of the games for other systems. And besides, most systems now are nothing but prettily packaged (constantly outdated) PCs anyways, really.

Kilfer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Myndflame.com (or) myspace.com/sterence
    • View Profile
    • My teams movie site. Myndflame movies are ours
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2008, 05:29:17 am »
Consoles are made FOR games. They offer, a DIRECT, put in a game, and it will play, it will work.

Computers HAVE to be constantly updated. Both hardware, and software. Any updating on a console, takes minutes at most, and is free. You buy a console once, and it's a small lump sum. In many cases, the consoles costs nearly as much (or less) than the new processor or graphics card required for a game.

This is me halfassing my argument with things off the top of my head. If we continue this argument tomorrow, I'm sure I'll be around.
Imo, the only thing keeping PCs alive is the MMORPG genre.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2008, 09:23:46 am »
But as a fan of the Elder Scroll games, I would much rather play them on a PC.  You see, the game makers (Bethesda Softworks) included the game engine (aka the program they made the game with) with the game.  Thus, the fans can make their own mods.  That means new lands, new armor and weapons, new enemies, new quests.  It makes the game so much longer - and oftentimes more fun.  However, the mods can only be downloaded on the PC and not a console.  That's why I will always prefer to play it on a PC than a console.

As for any other game... console is the way to go.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2008, 11:14:20 am »
Computers HAVE to be constantly updated. Both hardware, and software. Any updating on a console, takes minutes at most, and is free. You buy a console once, and it's a small lump sum. In many cases, the consoles costs nearly as much (or less) than the new processor or graphics card required for a game.

Yeah, that worked really well for Sony.

The problem that you are overlooking is that the hardware in a gaming system (say, the PS3) is outdated almost the exact same year it is released. That isn't all that bad; the games for the system are usually made with that system in mind, so they still run fine, even if the game is released years after the consol. However, if an individual is concerned about the hardware, then the consol is almost eternally hopelessly out of date. If you care about the processor or graphics card, then you will ALWAYS do better with a PC, because the PC can always have the most up to date hardware (and thus the most up to date performance, thus allowing for games to continue excelling). If, however, you care about ease of use or sociability, then that is where consol's shine (and curiously, the easiest to use consol does not cost less than its parts).

PCs have the advantages of downloadable content, the potential for constantly up to date hardware, and a more complex user interface.

Consols have the advantages of ease of use, a social environment, and gaurenteed playability. Additionally, certain consols are making headway in user interface. Not by making it more complex, but more intuitive (aka, motion sensitive controls and touch screen interfaces). Answering the same problem but in a radically different manner.

Of course, different types of games work better in different environments as well. Maxis games never seem to translate well to the consol (SimCity, The Sims, and now it looks like Spore as well), for example. Conversely, I've never seem a platformer that worked better on a PC than it did on the consol.

redwing605

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2008, 12:23:11 pm »

Dude if you actually look at the top it says the list is incomplete, most if not all RPGs made on computer are made by Americans.
Yes it does, and I stated it it to make it extra clear there are a ton of American RPGs on the PC. Which is what he asked.

So am I, but by now it has more than out done PC.  The only thing that truly hasn't switched over yet is MMORPGs and that's only a matter of time before that happens.
That doesn't make sense at all? Role playing games by defintion are games in which you play as a character and fallow in his would. So it can be split in to two major category's open and linear. Now if your talking open gameplay adventuring about just doing as you damn well please(ie. Fallout, Elder scrolls, WoW, Baldurs gate) then PC has the clear advantage not just in library but in interface and ability. Console just can't handle it normal and when it can it at a severe disadvantage ala Morrowind or Oblivion. As for linear It follows a preset character on a preset course the advantage over Freeplay? Story these tend to have epic memorable tales(ie. Final fantasy, Star ocean, Xenosaga, Dragon Quest) This is fully with in the PC power to do and in fact there are many on the PC like Dragon Quest, Ultima, Eye of the Beholder, KOTOR, even FF VII and VIII are on PC.

Sorry I miss read everything I thought you were saying there wasn't hardly any games, I missed his post.  My only problem with PC gaming is the fact that I have to update my system every time I want to play a new game.  Like when I bought my new PC which was around the time the Witcher came out I had to update my PC just to play it, it was only the RAM but good lord.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2008, 01:07:10 pm »
Along w/MMOs, RTSs (nearly impossible to accurately translate onto a home console system) & FPSs are also best played on PC. Home console systems are getting better w/their controls for their FPSs, but nothing beats WASD+a good mouse.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2008, 01:15:48 pm »
... but nothing beats WASD+a good mouse.

The Wiimote & nunchuck might.

redwing605

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2008, 02:10:48 pm »
Along w/MMOs, RTSs (nearly impossible to accurately translate onto a home console system) & FPSs are also best played on PC. Home console systems are getting better w/their controls for their FPSs, but nothing beats WASD+a good mouse.

That's your opinion I think FPS on consoles work great in fact they have always worked good even with doom on snes.  With MMOs and RTSs, I don't think RTSs will ever work good, and MMOs work just fine the problem is no one can beat out WoW.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2008, 04:06:59 pm »
What MMOs are better on a home console than a PC? More buttons=MORE POWER!!!

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2008, 04:12:28 pm »
Doom on the SNES was just plain wrong :shock: the only console that can preform as well as the PC with shooters and with a RTS is the Wii (and ds possibly) for one big reason the Wii remote its the only thing that rivals the mouse and thats the with the keyboard is the key to the PC power.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2008, 04:36:42 pm »
But that being said, Golden Eye was and still remains a classic Shooter, even when played on the N64 (and the N64 doesn't generally get to have anything good said about it, so that is doublely impressive).

redwing605

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2008, 06:44:18 pm »
What MMOs are better on a home console than a PC? More buttons=MORE POWER!!!

Where did I say they would be better I didn't I said they could work, and with the whole more buttons deal both 360 and PS3 are compatible with keyboards and mice.

redwing605

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2008, 06:47:37 pm »
Doom on the SNES was just plain wrong :shock: the only console that can preform as well as the PC with shooters and with a RTS is the Wii (and ds possibly) for one big reason the Wii remote its the only thing that rivals the mouse and thats the with the keyboard is the key to the PC power.

Sounds like to me you just can't handle FPS console controls.  To actually think that NO FPS works on console is just naive and closed minded.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2008, 07:09:30 pm »
He can't "handle" the controls because they aren't as good or as easily adaptable as a PC.

with the whole more buttons deal both 360 and PS3 are compatible with keyboards and mice.

Yeah, thus showing even more how the home consoles are really nothing more than glorified (outdated) PCs.

If, for whatever bizarre reason, you enjoy a controller, just like you can get keyboards for home consoles, you can get a vast array of controllers for your PC.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 07:12:29 pm by V_Translanka »