Author Topic: Is Magus really all that cool?  (Read 110036 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Is Magus really all that cool?
« Reply #315 on: January 30, 2009, 08:14:24 pm »
Maybe the people that don't like him are avoiding the thread because they're afraid of getting flamed.

I never brought this up before, but if anyone really believes that then they dunno the Compendium. We aren't 4chan nor GameFAQs (regardless of one or two members that might want otherwise...>_>)...

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 30, 2009, 08:56:48 pm »
Lesbians? In MY Chrono Trigger?

... Proceed.

Agreed. Lesbian activity of any kind has my signature.

Toby

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 18, 2009, 05:48:52 pm »
I'm really getting tired of everyone saying that magus is the best character in either of the Chrono games.

I'm really getting tired of how out of every 5 CT fanfics I read, at least 3 center around him.

Am I really the only one who isn't freaking obsessed with Magus? I mean, come on! Sure, he's cool and all, and he's Schala's little brother, but in the end he's just BORING. He has very little Personal Development, and he always acts all stuck up, like he's better than everyone else.

AND HIS HAIR IS PURPLE >:U

Well, personally I killed him on my first play through Frog 1v1 amazing action. I might spare him this time as I play DS, but the chances of me using him for anything are pretty low... I seem to remember he might be useful for the black omen but hey...

In my eyes, in my Chrono Trigger, hes a bad guy. Defeated him again yesterday on DS actually, using triple tech Frog Chrono Robo (had a lads night out to the Feinlords castle :P!)

TheSwordsFrog

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 23, 2009, 02:28:14 pm »
yes he IS that cool,but so is frog who gets a lot underrated from what I've seen so far  :( I bet it's stupid woosley's fault for making him talk like a shakespearian novel  :picardno well luckily I'm saved since I'm italian and play the italian version :mrgreen: in which all is translated normally hehe.Anyway those 2 characters are my alltime faves  8)

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 23, 2009, 05:56:46 pm »
I've been avoiding this topic like the plague... but... here's my two cents.

Yes, Magus is a little... overdone. But what do you expect? He's an angsty mage prettyboy with a dark and twisted past, has weird hair, and some could consider him cute. Not me. I'm not into that sort of thing. But the poor man is fangirl bait. And I may fall into that category. But let's not go down that path, shall we?

Every title I've played in my life has someone like this. In FF7, it's Vincent. In FF8, I guess it's Squall. Can't think of any more right now, but you get my drift. I'm sick of seeing too much Magus, but ultimately everyone has a favorite. For some it's Marle. For others it's Frog.

I guess it depends on who you ask.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 06:07:11 pm by teaflower »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #320 on: February 24, 2009, 12:34:04 am »
I've been avoiding this topic like the plague... but... here's my two cents.

Yes, Magus is a little... overdone. But what do you expect? He's an angsty mage prettyboy with a dark and twisted past, has weird hair, and some could consider him cute. Not me. I'm not into that sort of thing. But the poor man is fangirl bait. And I may fall into that category. But let's not go down that path, shall we?

Every title I've played in my life has someone like this. In FF7, it's Vincent. In FF8, I guess it's Squall. Can't think of any more right now, but you get my drift. I'm sick of seeing too much Magus, but ultimately everyone has a favorite. For some it's Marle. For others it's Frog.

I guess it depends on who you ask.
:lol: Let's not forget that he wasn't really overdone. Most of the lame emo bits were added by fans, not Kato. How I see Magus?

At first, he's Janus. Someone similar to Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter. Except, most of his "pride" and sort is actually hidden for the fear of revealing it to his mother.

When he appears in 600 AG he doesn't cry over it. Instead, he handles everything with the strength of his magic. I can actually see Janus grinning over those dead Mystic corpses. xD And of course, impressing Ozzie.

Magus doesn't get all emo at the medieval age as some might think (or humiliate him on purpose). True, he wants his revenge. And when you have great power with you and you're sent to another era, far away from your own home, and Lavos screws up with your entire family, who the f**k wouldn't want his revenge? 8) The truth is, he doesn't sit in the corner and cry about it. Instead, he takes up the lead, even if it means deceiving his followers, and gets what he wants or what he feels is right (yes, he thinks killing innocent people for the greater good is right). Now THAT is a TRUE DEMON KING!!

Magus doesn't care about people. Everyone thinks that's the problem because he's emo like Cloud, Squall, etc. But actually, as I said he resembles Draco Malfoy, he doesn't care about people because he feels like it. Of course, that's his negative style and some people don't like him because of this. XD But Sometimes it shows how superior and independent he is.

But other than that, the only person he actually ever cared about is Schala (and perhaps also his father Alphard). The loss of his father hurt him, but even though he was a child then he wasn't easily weakened. He deserves a medal. And since he cares about his sister (obviously, EVERYONE in their lives cares about someone or the other; if you don't have someone you care about you're emo) of course he'd be willing to go to the ends of the earth for her! Yet again, he wouldn't be sitting around crying she's not with him. He's more practical, more logical than that.

But indeed, the new CTDS ending brought about his "emo" side for once. XDDD but then again, that was pretty good too considering it had the theme of an ages old story (I forgot which one) that said something like, "Don't follow revenge; for revenge will burn you. When you fulfill your revenge, you will have no where to go. And that path you chose will bring eternal emptiness and doom."

So in short, Magus has A LOT of great things about him that many do not notice. ^-^ He's a great character.

And who DOESN'T love Froggy?! =D He's the man!!

But I believe that all of the CT characters are great, special and memorable. ^o^ That's why I love the game. Each one has his/her own great quality that shows the great sides of mankind.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 26, 2009, 05:07:41 pm »
For Magus there is nothing but crying and push-ups, this is canon.

...But speaking of canon, I heard Magus had a very... tsundere line with Lucca in her Dimensional Distortion.

Say it ain't so, guys ;_;

x_XTacTX_x

• I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 27, 2009, 12:32:15 am »
For Magus there is nothing but crying and push-ups, this is canon.

...But speaking of canon, I heard Magus had a very... tsundere line with Lucca in her Dimensional Distortion.

Say it ain't so, guys ;_;

Eh, it was moreso like "Caring" than tsundere.

Also

Tsundere

... You lurk /a/?

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 27, 2009, 12:46:31 am »
Nope, /co/ and very rarely /v/ (I might end up in "Only posts in Chrono Trigger threads Tier" soon). The stuff kinda leaks over, though, so I know all about GAR and such.

[edit]Woop, forgot to ask. "Caring"? Is that referring to the "hey how are we gonna get out of here" thing when he's in your party? That didn't seem like a huge deal to me, and I heard there was more of an exchange if he's in the group that comes to get you.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:49:32 am by maggiekarp »

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #324 on: February 27, 2009, 12:57:05 am »
What is the tsundere/caring line you're talking about? I've tried the dimensional vortex a few times, but no matter what I do, he won't be in the party that comes to rescue you. How do you get him to come to the rescue?

x_XTacTX_x

• I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 27, 2009, 02:10:42 am »
Nope, /co/ and very rarely /v/ (I might end up in "Only posts in Chrono Trigger threads Tier" soon). The stuff kinda leaks over, though, so I know all about GAR and such.

[edit]Woop, forgot to ask. "Caring"? Is that referring to the "hey how are we gonna get out of here" thing when he's in your party? That didn't seem like a huge deal to me, and I heard there was more of an exchange if he's in the group that comes to get you.

I've never been in /co/, but /v/ is like my Chan home.

And I forget the line exactly, but I remember it being something along the lines of being concerned or something like that.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #326 on: March 02, 2009, 06:04:09 pm »
Well, I've been trying Lucca's Dimensional Vortex with as many character combinations as I can, but I haven't found any 'caring' or 'tsundre' lines for Magus.

These are his lines for getting trapped in the room:
What now?
We'd best do something, unless it is your
plan to wait out our deaths here

Hmm?
It seems another route has opened.
Shall we see what lies that way?
And when he comes to rescue you he's always the last person in the party, with the line:
Hmph.
Apparently he'll only come to the rescue if you haven't used the Time Egg on Crono yet. Lazy.

Going to try other character combinations to see if I can get any other lines out of him. Doubt it'll be any different though.

EDIT: Is there a text script compiled for CTDS yet? If not, I can play through and copy down all the lines into a Word file. Just curious.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 06:09:43 pm by Zephira »

Magus_Brokenhart

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 08, 2009, 08:01:09 am »
Now, you didn't expect to speak ill of the Demon Lord, Picco--Magus, and not have people respond, did you? If anything, he has more history with Lavos than anyone else but Schala. It almost feels as if the game's central characters are actually the Zeal trinity. Even if Magus did turn evil, you can simply consider this character development. He probably went insane from everything he went through, no?

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 10, 2009, 01:21:34 am »
I looked through some fanart today and realized another reason I like Magus. Going by canon, he's most likely the reason Kid didn't dress like a whore in Radical Dreamers.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 10, 2009, 01:50:43 am »
A night thief should wear night clothes.