Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484353 times)

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #5910 on: May 25, 2011, 08:49:01 am »
"My Freckles Left Me in Scotland" would be a good song.

Sounds like a country song.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5911 on: May 25, 2011, 10:52:36 am »
@ZeaLitY: That post of yours was far less intelligent the the previous ones regarding your frustrations towards religion, but I'm actually going agree with you on this one. Religion is more like a moral guide, and more, than an absolute law, and I hate seeing people trapped in a bubble of fantasy rather than thinking rationally. The tornado at Missouri was devastating, the earthquakes at Haiti and Japan were woeful, and while people ought to try help them somehow they'd rather sit on their asses in delusions that God has some kinda plan. If they really believed in Jesus' dreams of saving humanity, then they ought to go fulfill it: by saving humanity! Donate! Inspire! Give them hope!

Sometimes I feel I'm glad being born in India where the religious (New Gen) are practical and rational, rather than America. Indians pray to Gods, not for some supernatural being that may or may not exist, but a God that is a personification of everything good within us. Their prayers are answered, not because we think there's some wizard looking out for us, but because their prayers give them the spirit to do the impossible. They pray for humanity.

Unfortunately I do not share their views that much, because as much as I love the vast Hindu culture and our ancestors I cannot bring myself to pray. But I'm not afraid to step into a temple, gurudwara, mosque, monastery or church and pay my humble respects either.

That made me LOL!

I don't believe this! They keep rescheduling my exams like it's a joke! They first said January, then rescheduled twice to March, then April, May and now June! Haven't I paid for my fees? Haven't I worked hard to reach till here? Every retard in my class received his/her certificate, so why do they keep delaying mine? On top of that they keep apologizing. Oh, excuse me Headmistress, the term I'm sorry only applies with a promise it wouldn't happen again, and yet you keep fucking up every time you get!

*sigh* I can't even get a job unless I pass college, which can't begin unless I get the fucking certificate! ><
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:54:22 am by tushantin »

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #5912 on: May 25, 2011, 11:15:01 am »
If they really believed in Jesus' dreams of saving humanity, then they ought to go fulfill it: by saving humanity! Donate! Inspire! Give them hope!
I usually avoid talking religion here, but I must say there are christians and catholics who are like this too  :|  I hope I can become more like this myself. Christianism is based on the ideal of becoming more Christ-like, not in asking for Christ to do your job and mouth feed you anything you want. In Mexico we have the saying "Dios solo ayuda al que se ayuda" (God only helps the ones who help themselves) which basically means "Get up your lazy ass and don't wait for God solve your life. That's not the way it works, dude"  :P
That made me LOL!
Me too xD

*sigh* I can't even get a job unless I pass college, which can't begin unless I get the fucking certificate! ><
Welcome to my life  :?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:32:24 am by Licawolf »

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: May 25, 2011, 11:29:44 am »
I don't think prayers made by victims of disaster as the disaster takes place really have much to do with religious belief, oddly enough--it's more a matter of grasping at straws: they have no other way to affect what's happening, and therefore they pray even if they don't really believe it will have any effect on the outcome, and don't believe in the divine in general, simply because it's something to do. Terror-driven spinal reflex due to cultural context, not worship.

On the other hand, people not otherwise involved in the disaster who use religion as an excuse not to help (or worse, to claim that the victims deserve it) deserve to be tarred and feathered.

@tushantin: Given the number of times this has now happened, it sounds to me like they may be screwing you over intentionally, rather than negligently. Unfortunately, I don't know what you can do about it.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5914 on: May 25, 2011, 11:41:44 am »
In Mexico we have the saying "Dios ayuda al que se ayuda" (God only helps the ones who help themselves) which basically means "Get up your lazy ass and don't wait for God solve your life.
You're kidding me! XD That's the exact same phrase (English/Hindi version, of course) we live by here! I can understand the implication being shared through the world, but not the exact sentence.

I'm glad at least someone from the American continent sees it the way we do here. If we're a legacy of something important, then let us fulfill those dreams that benefit mankind.

I don't think prayers made by victims of disaster as the disaster takes place really have much to do with religious belief, oddly enough--it's more a matter of grasping at straws: they have no other way to affect what's happening, and therefore they pray even if they don't really believe it will have any effect on the outcome, and don't believe in the divine in general, simply because it's something to do. Terror-driven spinal reflex due to cultural context, not worship.

On the other hand, people not otherwise involved in the disaster who use religion as an excuse not to help (or worse, to claim that the victims deserve it) deserve to be tarred and feathered.
That's quite a unique insight, and I admit I never thought about that. I'm going to ponder over this all night, I suppose. The mere thought might trigger a chain reaction in my head.  :lol:

@tushantin: Given the number of times this has now happened, it sounds to me like they may be screwing you over intentionally, rather than negligently. Unfortunately, I don't know what you can do about it.
What I can do is destroy their business, plucking it from the roots and leaving them in market debt, plus the added criminal charges they couldn't expect, but I'm not sure how that would help me get my certificate. I'm hardly powerful, but I am extremely clever. Also, I'm anything but vengeful and usually forgive easily, but this behavior of theirs is driving me over the edge.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: May 25, 2011, 11:57:23 am »
There are very similar sayings in French--"Aide toi, et le ciel t'aidera"--and (primarily British, I think) English--"Heaven helps those who help themselves." A shame they seem to be mostly ignored in the US.

@tushantin: Yeah, screwing them over in return doesn't seem like it would help you make progress toward your actual goal. I think you've hit the point where someone over here who was in a similar position might start considering getting the legal system involved, but I suspect that might be a bad idea (or just impractical) in your country.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: May 26, 2011, 11:55:40 am »
Thought is clearly a far better prophet than Mr. Camping:

http://www.webpronews.com/harold-camping-rapture-rescheduled-for-october-21-twitter-laughs-on-2011-05

As hilarious as this is, I'm at a point where I just feel sorry for this old man and his ravenous need for validation.

Quote from: FaustWolf
Or maybe people just think it'd be exciting? When something's lacking in people's lives and it takes the apocalypse to fill that void...that's a little creepy.

It's something like that, I think. Lord J's post lead me to think that in addition to the reasons he mentioned, and a general association of Darkness and Grimness with Realism and Authenticity (which drives me crazy, by the way), we just see few opportunities for heroic acts. A hundred years ago there was at least the possibility that you could venture across the world in search of new experiences and find something that few people had ever seen before. Video has done away with that, of course. Advances in technology have always popularized survival stories, and I guess the simplest and most compelling way of setting the premise for one in our era is the apocalypse.

Quote from: Lord J Esq
Pessimistic storytelling is very big right now, both in the form of apocalyptic fiction and dystopian fiction. It's getting nuts in sci-fi; like a virus it's the flavor of the moment and it's hard to find sci-fi that doesn't at least have these kinds of undertones.

You know, it's funny you mention this, because a friend of mine forwarded this article onto me yesterday: http://futurismic.com/2009/06/18/pessimistic-science-fiction-is-a-cop-out/ We live in a comfortable, rich world, as you say, and it's just incredible to me that people will come up with that many excuses to write something grim! Especially when trying something different from the norm, and getting your work published, is such a difficult task for modern-day writers.

The reason, of course, is the one you give: people are not fulfilled, they don't know how to be fulfilled (and they are predisposed to whining). To say nothing of the fact our evolution hasn't caught up with the technological demands of our society yet.

And honestly, a lot of smart, aware people I know are genuinely terrified: http://www.utne.com/Environment/Truth-Hurts-Conversation-Altered-World-Systemic-Failures.aspx Most of the time I am inclined to chalk it up to a love of conspiracy and general paranoia, but that's not quite fair. There's a heartstopping amount information out there, and much of it is negative-- one can, fairly easily, be well-read and inquisitive and be exposed largely to articles and analysis that is generally negative, and dismiss the positive information one finds as manipulative or unrealistic.

Also, most people aren't equipped to deal with many of the unnatural stressful particulars imposed upon our society--such as unsatisfying jobs, hydralike social webs, and the attention-sapping barrages of media. On top of everything else, we live in an age where our enemies are hard to touch (existing, variously, as foreign terrorists, huge corporations, or even such abstracts as the environmental pollution caused by our very existence), and our champions are nowhere to be found--often drowned out by the mass media.

I can't add anything to this except to say that it is spot-on, and presents an interesting challenge to those of us who are storytellers.

There's been a lot of analysis on the cultural function of superheroes as heroic myth, but I feel we need to begin talking about heroism in particular outside of the standard tropes of fantasy, sci-fi and superhero stories. It's very hard to figure out how to do this in a compelling way, however. But that's another post altogether, probably best delegated to the writing thread!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:22:29 pm by Syna »

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: May 27, 2011, 08:42:22 pm »
Tonight's plans were canceled because it seems everyone I know is sick.  Including me.  I'm bummed that I can't hang out with anyone tonight.  I look forward to Friday all week.  :/

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: May 27, 2011, 09:59:43 pm »
Sajainta, if it makes you feel any better, I'm sick, too. And there's the whoooole weekend! Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, too!

Today was an absolutely beautiful day. I decided to get out and do something productive, like riding my bike. Turns out the cat, before he expired, found a way to puncture my tires.  :|

The good news is Sam is back for the summer (unless he runs off with his roommate again...), so fun times with him. Both in the sarcastic sense and in the actual sense.

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #5919 on: May 28, 2011, 10:52:01 am »
 :shock: A cockroach climbed in my desktop and I didn't notice until I started to feel something funny in my hand...

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: May 31, 2011, 02:43:09 am »
I'm on the first stop of my road trip in Saint Louis, MO (a little over 700 miles). Memorial Day has been awesome... until tonight, when someone felt compelled to put a brick through my windshield.

I know exactly one person in Saint Louis, and I was inside of her house when this happened. We heard shouting then glass cracking and then we called police. I wondered at first if I had some crazy stalker that had followed me here from North Carolina, as I didn't think I'd been here long enough to make such a mortal enemy. However, after some police questioning with the neighbors, apparently I have a very similar car (dark plum colored Saturn S-series) to the lady directly across the street. Her ex-boyfriend has been threatening her and showing up at weird hours of the night harassing her. Oh yeah, he just happened to be hanging out at the gas station down the street around that time, too. It seems my car windshield was the victim of mistaken car identity. Despite it being parked AT THE WRONG HOUSE, and despite it having North Carolina tags instead of Missouri tags. WTF, I know you're a vandal, but can't you read?

This stuff only happens to me, I swear it.

On the bright side, my insurance company is taking care of it, and is showing up tomorrow to replace the windshield. Boy, am I glad I didn't drop that "Other Than Collision" coverage last week... (I considered it!) Also, good thing that I wasn't planning on leaving Saint Louis until Thursday, heh... To be honest, I'm kind of laughing about the whole thing. I could get mad or cry, but that wouldn't be very productive. Laughing seems appropriate since no one was hurt and nothing was stolen.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: May 31, 2011, 02:57:59 am »
:shock: A cockroach climbed in my desktop and I didn't notice until I started to feel something funny in my hand...

LMAO, I haven't seen a cockroach for years.

I recall when I was in elementary school, my living place has a lot of roaches. I got pretty much homework at that time and usually couldn't finish before 11:00 PM. When I got bored, I went to the kitchen for a roach hunt, using slingshot or even hammer for fun.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: May 31, 2011, 04:17:27 am »
RW, that is awful and must be so frustrating!  I'm so glad your insurance is going to cover a new windshield.

I agree, sometimes you just have to laugh at unfortunate things.  And I have to admit, I smiled when you said::

Despite it being parked AT THE WRONG HOUSE, and despite it having North Carolina tags instead of Missouri tags. WTF, I know you're a vandal, but can't you read?

because the way you described the vandal was seriously funny.

It is ridiculous that the vandal attacked your car.  So much fail on their part.

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #5923 on: June 04, 2011, 11:52:09 am »
I was looking some information about scholarships in the mexican goverment website and got a blank page with the words "Fatal Error ownz you ! by s4r4d0"... ha! the goverment site was hacked, apparently... and I don't know if that's amusing or frustrating  :?

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5924 on: June 04, 2011, 01:08:03 pm »

I find it very saddening how gross people think bugs are, and how much better the world would be without them.