Author Topic: Question about Schala.  (Read 2238 times)

TheOpposition

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Question about Schala.
« on: May 02, 2005, 08:44:38 pm »
Hello all, this is my first post on these boards. Found this site about a week ago, and became awed at how deep some of the disscussions here can be. Thought I'd try and contribute something. ^^ Namely, about Schala's origins. Excuse me if this has been verified at another time, or already discussed, but I haven't noticed it.

I was re-playing the game yesterday afternoon, Just hit the Chapter "The Magical Kingdom of Zeal" and one of the Zealians in either Zeal Palace, or Kajar mentioned that Janus is Schala's Half-brother. I assume that Zeal is their mother as they refer to her as such, but who is the Father of Janus/Schala if it was not the late King Zeal?  
--I apologize if this is later explained and i didn't pick it up.--

I've been thinking about it myself, and came up with something. Perhaps Belthasar is Schala's Father, and this is why he went to such extreme measures to save her in Chrono Cross. Rather than just sending people(or himself) to destroy the TimeDevourer, he concocted a plan to divide dementions to create a ChronoCross and send the arbiter with it to mend it back together, while stripping Schala from Lavos... Which seems rather dangerous to do to save one person. Unless of course he has some deep emotional attatchment to her.

Does Chrono Cross ever explain why Belthasar was so adamant about saving Schala?

Anyways, I think I'll use this idea in a FanFic, if of course I'm not completely wrong.  8)  Can anyone here have a script or something that would show otherwise? Or comment that this is a Translation-error? Or perhaps some of you have your own theories? I'd be glad to see them.

Food for thought I guess     :)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Question about Schala.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 09:54:27 pm »
Unfortunately, the truth isn't as romantic as any of those possibilities. In the original Japanese, the NPC who spoke of step siblings merely apologized for possibly speaking about Janus in a bad tone, and ruminated on how Janus seemed unskilled in magic compared to Schala. It's absent. I used to have the breakdown of the translation, but I can't even find it on these forums anymore.

Daniel Krispin

Question about Schala.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 02:02:30 am »
I have always seen thought of it as the honour of the ancient world. Belthesar, high though his standing was in the ancient royal court, was still subservient as a lord under the hand of the princess Schala. Though his fealty to the Queen might have been countered due to his righteousness and servitude to what was right, I figure that he would continue to see Schala as his liege-lady. Thus I figure that he saw his rescue of her as a matter of oath and honour.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Question about Schala.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 03:30:36 am »
That, and the fact that not rescuing her would end up with the complete and total anihilation of time and space would've been mighty persuasive.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Question about Schala.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 05:05:51 pm »
Quote from: GreenGannon
That, and the fact that not rescuing her would end up with the complete and total anihilation of time and space would've been mighty persuasive.

She doesn't have to be rescued for the universe to be saved. The TD just has to be killed. But considering Balthasar's ties to Schala, you would assume if he was going to concoct(sp?) such a complicated scheme he might as well save Schala to boot.

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Question about Schala.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 07:22:09 pm »
I don't think Belthasar actually planned out Schala's rescue completely, because he did rely on Serge's (actually the player's) final choice (whether to just kill the TD or to use the chrono cross)... I think that's interesting, because FATE wanted to terminate Serge because he had free will and questioned Lavos' defeat, but Balthasar realized that Serge had free will and left Schala's life in his hands, ultimately (from what I understand of the game)

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Question about Schala.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 10:25:51 pm »
he was counting on Serge to use the Chrono Cross...

TheOpposition

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Question about Schala.
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 02:02:09 am »
Quote from: GreenGannon

Well, it is possible to destroy the Time Devourer while not segregating Schala from it. So instead of toying with all of space time, he could have just sent someone to destroy the Time Devourer, or maybe even use the Frozen Flame to help him.
*He did help create the FATE computer/Chronopolis did he not?*

Instead, he initiated events to help create an alternate dimension to create an element called a Chrono Cross, and got a specific person to use it against the Time Devourer, which I believe increases the chance of Failure. *It does take time to get the proper elements in order.*

So I ask, what else would invoke such dire need in Belthasar to save Schala? I find it hard to believe he did it just because she's his Princess/Queen. Perhaps her powers are of use to him in further time experiments, or even to destroy a beast even more dangerous the the Time Devourer(If there could be one, Using space-time as your sustanence is a very dangerous parasite :?  ) .
*Maybe I'll use this in a FanFic lol.*

Quote from: ZeaLitY
Unfortunately, the truth isn't as romantic as any of those possibilities. In the original Japanese, the NPC who spoke of step siblings merely apologized for possibly speaking about Janus in a bad tone, and ruminated on how Janus seemed unskilled in magic compared to Schala. It's absent. I used to have the breakdown of the translation, but I can't even find it on these forums anymore.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. That seems to be a grievous translation-error though. =/

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Question about Schala.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 02:25:32 am »
Chrono Cross, actually, seems to imply that not using the Chrono Cross will not get the job of killing the TD done. Naturally, that game script on Gamefaqs doesn't seem to have it. But if you can help me with my memory, it went like this:

[If the Chrono Cross is not used] the Time Devourer will simply be reabsorbed into the time stream.

That gave me the idea that not using it would not only prevent the unification of the dimensions, but would simply disperse the Time Devourer somewhere else. I can't pinpoint the quote though, so yeah, this is baseless for now.

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Question about Schala.
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 04:47:23 pm »
as far as i remember, the game never really specifies how to use the chrono cross

and throughout the game, especially during my first playthrough, Serge, and the player, is forced to progress through the events of the game without much explanation as to why (like why Serge goes to Viper's Manor without Kid, or why Serge follows Viper and co. to Fort Dragonia without Kid), so he's forced to go through the events in the game.. besides the character choices, using or not using the chrono cross is really the only choice I can find in the game

TheOpposition

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Question about Schala.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 12:54:56 am »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
Chrono Cross, actually, seems to imply that not using the Chrono Cross will not get the job of killing the TD done. Naturally, that game script on Gamefaqs doesn't seem to have it. But if you can help me with my memory, it went like this:

[If the Chrono Cross is not used] the Time Devourer will simply be reabsorbed into the time stream.

That gave me the idea that not using it would not only prevent the unification of the dimensions, but would simply disperse the Time Devourer somewhere else. I can't pinpoint the quote though, so yeah, this is baseless for now.

Hmm, it has been a while since I've played through Crono Cross. However, this sentence does spark something in my rusty brain  :roll:

I'm sure Belthasar said this (I believe in the room with the Neo-Epoch.. Viper Manor?). Although I think it was that if the CronoCross -was- used the alternate Dimension will be reabsorbed into the time stream. Don't take my word for it though, as this is baseless as well.

I'll look around and try and find a script.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Question about Schala.
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 06:42:34 pm »
The Chrono Cross erases the Devourer of Time from existence. If you just kill it, it's body still remains and is still brought forth into existence. For some reason I don't remember, even that much is still bad.

TheOpposition

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Question about Schala.
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 01:18:31 pm »
Well, I have found three different ChronoCross scripts and none of them had a line which contained the line I was looking for. However, I still believe the previously mentioned sentence actually occured...

Also, I don't remember a line where saying not using the ChronoCross element will not get the job done. You destroy the Devourer of Time (Dragon God) within the time stream, then kill it's originator within the Darkness Beyond Time. That seems pretty complete to me. Only bad thing I can think of when the ChronoCross is not used is that Home World's Apocolypse will somewhow transfer to Another World's Dimension... And even that is not implied in the game.