Author Topic: Further Character Discussion  (Read 69651 times)

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
Re: Further Character Discussion
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2007, 04:27:07 pm »
Well, I'll try and rate some of my favourite characters here, since I totally missed all but one poll until now. Also, I'll try to start browsing other forums besides General Discussion again, for a change, to hopefully avoid such mishaps in the future. :S

OK, let's begin, then.

- Glenn -
Character design: Glenn's design gives me a perfect 'dude-about-to-graduate-in-knight-highschool' impression, which I'm not sure to be exactly good since he is supposed to be a full-fledged Dragoon. I guess it has something to do with the bandana, buckler, leather armor and the way he hangs his sheath in the front. Still, I like his design, and it reminds me of Lodoss' Parn, a bit.

Combat usefulness: Glenn was a monster. From the very first time you use him he can easily compete with Serge in sheer combat prowess, and his dual-wielding Einalzers were the coolest weapons in the game.

Tilt factor: Well, even though he has a very interesting personality his relevance to the main plot, or to the many subplots is mainly inexistant. I've always seen him as a protrusion from Riddel's/Dario's history, in this regard. I give him a B.

- Grobyc -
Character design: Grobyc's design is a cool mix of Capcom's Captain Commando and Strider Hiryu, which works great with his 'martial artist cyborg' theme. He looks very fierce and menacing, and the blue/red contrast works great. The only complaints I have about his design are: 1. The hair: That wavy look sort of breaks the whole bad-ass image. If it was straight, it would look cooler. 2. That symbol on his forehead, which he seems to have borrowed from some hindu godess with six arms, or something.

Combat usefulness: Grobyc kicks ass. A party comprised of Serge, Glenn and Grobyc should make most bosses in the game shit their pants in awe.

Tilt factor: There it goes again. Grobyc, although a very cool looking character with a very cool and fitting personality, has barely any relevance to the game's plots. Even though his combat stance is so Muay Thai-ish, and his third tech looks so much like Iron Man's giant cannon-thing in the X-Marvel vs. Street Capcom games (at least one of them, I remember for sure), I'll have to give him a B. He is like Vincent, all coolness but zero relevance, except for the facts that Grobyc will necessarily join your party and Vincent has some pretty interesting subplots... Well, you get the idea.

- Harle -
Character design: Oh man, here she is. The Moon Child shrouded in exuberant beauty and exotic mystery. *Coughs* Harle's design is incredibly fitting and symbolic of her personality, dilemmas and lifestyle. It's a physical manifestation of these things in so many levels. How she hides her real self behind a mask, how she is but the joker in the court of Dragons, how she cries behind the cute, confident smile. She has the deepest characterization of all, and not only is her design cool and fitting, but it is also a representation of all she is.

Combat usefulness: She was a good support character, with her Moonshine element and nicely-damaging offensive elements.

Tilt factor: She was a major piece of the plot during the whole game, and before. She has an incredibly interesting personality, and it is outright impossible not to feel touched by her dilemmas as a Dragon and as a human. Her moon based elements all look really cool and fit perfectly with her whole mysterious feel. She has my A all the way. And I swear the rhyme was not intentional.

- Kid -
Character design: Her outfit screams 'piratess'. Her face says "yes I'm cute, but if you touch me I'll slit your throat so hard you'll bleed on the moons". Her design shows her characterization as an independant free-spirit right away, and all the piratess thing, all with the leather boots and gloves, and body paint, and seashell-looking necklace, give her a 'bad-ass girl' appearance, most fitting to the character.

Combat usefulness: Great red element, thief, and decently-damaging character overall.

Tilt factor: Basically, she's a pivot to the whole plot, like Serge and Harle. Also, I like her aussie accent most of all, and here's worth mentioning-what-I-forgot-to-mention about Harle, that her accent somehow fits the character perfectly, just like Harle's. I can't explain why, but their accents just feel right. She has the A.

- Nikki -
Character design: He's a rock guitarist who seems to have come straight out of Motley Crue or Twisted Sister. The looks most definetely belong to the character, and the only thing that breaks the rythm here are the ballerina dancers from his crew. Rocking ballerinas. Really disturbing. But it has nothing to do with the character's design. Huh.

Combat usefulness: A decent blue element user, and that's all.

Tilt factor: A deep-enough character that is fundamental to one of the coolest subplots in the game. Plays "Magical Dreamers". Cool guitar attacks. A.

- Norris -
Character design: Norris design striked me as cool and proper from the first time I saw the character, and his outfit has a cool 'airforce' look to it. Besides that, his face and hair reminded my own, when I first played the game. He also reminds me of One Piece's Sanji, a bit.

Combat usefulness: Great yellow element character, losing in caliber perhaps only to Viper, and good damage overall.

Tilt factor: A deep and interesting personality, with interesting takes on and reactions to all the weird stuff happening around him. Very cool and level-headed. Enough relevance for a considerable part of the main plot and the guy who makes the computer at the Dead Sea work. Gunslinger. A.

- Radius -
Character design: Radius' design gives this 'elderly who will kick your ass' impression, which is exactly what he does. His serious and severe face, yet lighthearted demeanor, show his aura of wisdom and reliability in a perfect fashion. He looks like a very cool and badass old man.

Combat usefulness: Radius is a great green element user, with decently damaging physical attacks and nicely damaging techs.

Tilt factor: A deep, human, flawed character with a rich backstory, full of torments and regrets. It's impressive how this man who has so many years behind him still has room for such personal development. Radius is fundamental to the plot, and is one of the single most interesting characters in the game. His techs involving kenjutsu/battoujutsu stances and moves look very cool, and the fact that he performs them using a cane reminds me of Kenshin's backwards-edged sword. He has my sincerest A.

I think that's all, for now. Later I'll rate some more, perhaps.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 04:32:25 pm by cupn00dles »

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2007, 01:08:52 pm »
Okay, seriously Kyronea, Serge has no Character development!? Did you forget Belthasar explaining how the dimensions split, or Miguel telling Serge how they wound up in Chronopolis? Serge's character is developed through others, since he has no voice for himself.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2007, 01:25:57 pm »
Okay, seriously Kyronea, Serge has no Character development!? Did you forget Belthasar explaining how the dimensions split, or Miguel telling Serge how they wound up in Chronopolis? Serge's character is developed through others, since he has no voice for himself.
Exactly. He's therefore a pathetic waste. Give the character a voice and maybe I'll change my mind.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2007, 01:37:44 pm »
Exactly. He's therefore a pathetic waste. Give the character a voice and maybe I'll change my mind.

Wow, for once, I'm totally in disagreement with you. I take it you think Crono is a pathetic waste too? The Chrono Series redefined storytelling by making the protagonist silent so you spoke for him.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2007, 02:13:03 pm »
Yes I think the same of Chrono, and no, it did not "redefine storytelling." That was a typically bad maneuver at the time that should not have been preserved.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2007, 08:10:10 pm »
Background information&history=/=Character development

That's why.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2007, 08:53:22 pm »
Crono and Serge, as silent protagonists, really depend on interaction with the other characters to make their personality stand out. Furthermore, because they're "blank slates" of sorts, they allow the player to project themselves and make the story all the richer.

Trigger succeeded greatly in this because they kept out of Crono's past and had a rich, well-developed cast.

Cross bogged us down with useless, unlikable characters and "OMG BAD GUY IS YOUR FATHER BUT YOU DON'T REALLY CARE" sorts of things. They should have stuck with the likable narrator of CC instead of bastardizing the likable mute from CT.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2007, 09:24:18 pm »
Ugh. Sorry, but by these criteria, Crono is utterly worthless. I've had him towards the bottom of my personal CT character pecking order for precisely these reasons. He's an archetype, not a person. He's just a brave hero who throws himself into danger. At least Serge had a backstory. They both suffer by not getting dialogue, but Crono suffers more because he's effectively cardboard.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2007, 09:28:45 pm »
Then might I bring up my surprised sprite counter? lol

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2007, 10:08:42 pm »
Ugh. Sorry, but by these criteria, Crono is utterly worthless. I've had him towards the bottom of my personal CT character pecking order for precisely these reasons. He's an archetype, not a person. He's just a brave hero who throws himself into danger. At least Serge had a backstory. They both suffer by not getting dialogue, but Crono suffers more because he's effectively cardboard.
I find it the exact opposite, yes both could have used dialog. But out of the two Crono came out on top because he is was just a archetype, but serge was a full character and a full character that does speak (and is not mute) makes less sense then a stereotypical silent protagonist trying to save the day. But still Serge is an "A" in my book.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2007, 09:29:39 pm »
Yeah, I would have given Sneff a D for all the reasons everyone else gave. Total Chimo.

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2007, 10:04:13 pm »
say, i propose rating RD characters than.

what did you think of design/combat/tile for RD serge, kid, and magil?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2007, 05:38:53 pm »
That's hardly fair though since all of RD is from Serge's perspective.

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2007, 05:54:12 pm »
most of CT is from crono, and all of CC is serge.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2007, 07:10:57 pm »
I mean that it's all from his narration...? We don't get any information from anyone else that he doesn't get firsthand. In both CT & CC there are scenes that don't involve the party at hand or in some cases that specifically involve only certain party members.