ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Bruno
« on: July 10, 2009, 10:54:54 pm »
...was hilarious. What I loved most is that it crossed into ridiculing ignorant people in America, including:

• The ditzy airhead LA charity girls who barely knew what they were talking about
  • The black audience in Dallas who reacted negatively to the idea of a single gay parent from the beginning
  • The first-stage gay conversion pastor (Jesus is in this room! was ridiculed well with "Wow")
  • The second-stage gay conversion pastor; his misogyny made the entire theater go quiet with shock
  • The shallow parents in LA who agreed to subject their babies to extremely dangerous conditions just to have them achieve some degree of fame
  • The fashion world, of course, although the movie quickly shifted gears to the US
  • Ron Paul, who frustratingly used the word queer a couple times (and I hope this makes some of his diehard fans reconsider their support, since he does have some rather incredibly wingnutty positions)
  • The homophobic Alabama hunters
  • And most painfully and effectively, the idiots (male and female) who attended the fighting championship match to see "Straight Dave" and fucking flipped out with total hatred at the end

I mean, wow; this could really open a few eyes to the inanity of prejudice, including the idea of religious gay conversions. I guess Sacha knew this point was being made, since at the end Snoop rhymes, "He gay, he gay—okay!" like, "He's gay, but is that supposed to matter?"

The right people will be offended by this.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Bruno
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 12:31:15 am »
I laughed the most when the penis hole squeeled, "Bruno".  You have to see it to believe it.

But yeah, that's the funny thing about Borat / Bruno; it exposes the weaknesses and ignorance of first-world culture (with America as the template).  Materialism, unnecessary phobia, shallow debauchery of humanity.  What a fun ride.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 01:51:51 am »
I saw Borat when it came out several years ago, and this movie looks very similar. I'm sure I'll see it soon and I look forward to it. Mr Sasha is a funny dude. He's kind of a troll and I feel sorry for some of the people in his movie because they're being taken advantage of, but then again... they become famous XD;.

I remember in Borat the dude that "sold" him the Ice Cream truck was pissed that he was in the movie because according to him, the movie falsely implied that HE sold the Ice Cream truck to Borat.  I didn't really understand that one. What a reason to be angry about something. Who cares if you sold someone an Ice Cream Truck or not >_>;.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 04:11:00 am »
Good to hear it lived up to the hype.  He's always got the most ridiculous people getting enraged!!!  The thing that I love the most about Ali G/Bruno/Borat is the fact that people believe an Ali G or a Bruno could even exist.  Borat makes more sense, though.  SBC has a supreme dedication to character and it always shows through, especially with Borat and the custom garbs down to the underwear and bathing customs.  What a wonderful performer.

The "brilliance" of LA doesn't surprise me.  Without getting off topic, when I moved here I felt that the whole "morons of LA" thing was blown a little out of hand.  But when you hit it, it hits harrrrd! 

Anyway, I look forward to catching Bruno. 

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 07:11:41 am »
I thought Borat was utter crap and this didn't look much better. From what I understand many of the scenes that Z mentioned he created.

For example from what I understand there is a point in which he is at a sex party and he literally shoves he ass in to some men which provoke a response. That isn't an example of antihomosexual behavior that's an example of "Bruno" being a ass.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 11:01:30 am »
KebreI, that's not entirely accurate.  Although he does go to a sex party and piss a guy off, it's not by shoving his ass in the guy's face.  It's by standing awkwardly near him while he's having sex and telling him to look into my eyes.  And he keeps touching him (not in a sexual way).  This guy catches on it just pisses him off.  No big deal, really.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 02:40:01 pm »
Sacha Cohen's movies have never been quite to my taste either. You know what's hilarious though? Until I read this thread I thought there was actually a guy named Borat, and he was really a Kazakhstani television personality, not an actor named Sacha Cohen. Hahahaha!
 :picardno
...at me.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 05:14:24 pm »
As an anti-Zeitgeist, I tend to dislike pop-culture items. Borat got annoying really quickly when people started constant  impressions of him, just like with Napoleon Dynamite or "I'm Rick James, bitch!"

But, I'll admit, you gotta respect his commitment to a bit, i.e., having a fat naked guy rolling over him. He deserves some extra man points for that.

Is niice!

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • How do we know we exist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 05:28:19 pm »
She is against cruelty to animals... Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 03:36:51 am »
  • Ron Paul, who frustratingly used the word queer a couple times (and I hope this makes some of his diehard fans reconsider their support, since he does have some rather incredibly wingnutty positions)

I'm also really curious about how this will pan out.  I'm glad he was one of the "victims"...

I probably won't get to see this until the end of the month.  I guess I probably shouldn't look at this thread much.  Then again, I guess it's hard to spoil a movie like this.  The humor is such that you have to see it for yourself to really get the effect.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 08:27:51 pm »
One lady walked out of the theater during the Paula Abdul sushi scene when I went to see it.

Good stuff.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 08:35:11 pm »
Is using "queer" a bad word these days? Hm, I always though it was the new nomenclature... When I went to Uni, a lot of the gay/bi/trans kids liked to call themselves queer. I guess that just because a politician uses the word, it suddenly screams inappropriate.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 10:25:56 pm »
Saw it today. Loved it. Didn't have the novelty that Borat did, but it flowed much better as a story due to there being a few more scripted bits.

Zealtiy's pretty well covered the highlights. I did love the reactions of the TV screening crew, and the brief Harrison Ford bit. I've heard the Paula Abdul bit was real, and I could believe it - she looked stunned and truly appalled! Same with the Ron Paul scene.
  • The first-stage gay conversion pastor (Jesus is in this room! was ridiculed well with "Wow")
That guy was just creepy!  Those folks are so out there... :shock:
  • The homophobic Alabama hunters
That tense, awkward silence around the campfire... the whole theatre was holding their breath!
  • And most painfully and effectively, the idiots (male and female) who attended the fighting championship match to see "Straight Dave" and fucking flipped out with total hatred at the end
Probably my favourite scene in the movie. Apparently they had to film it at two different fights and splice it into one, as the first one got too out of control -- that chair that got thrown into the ring, that was an unscripted thing from the first fight. The scene that made up most of the footage for that part, I guess caused an all-out riot that lasted for hours.

That interview with the Lebanese terrorist leader too... holy shit, LoL.

Some great trivia [READ: MAJOR SPOILERS] in this newspaper article.
http://www.nationalpost.com/arts/story.html?id=1770907

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 11:52:04 pm »
queer, although is definitely a rude word, from my point of view, is not a curse word per-say...

...but, as we have all seen, the same went for the word n*****, it was commonplace and now its more forbidden than f***.  So who knows.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 05:14:04 am »
...but, as we have all seen, the same went for the word n*****, it was commonplace and now its more forbidden than f***.  So who knows.

I don't know if you've been living under a rock for the past decade but both words are extremely common these days. Same with queer.