Author Topic: The Real Way to Spell the Main Characters Name  (Read 7592 times)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Way to Spell the Main Characters Name
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2009, 09:26:45 pm »
I usually don't change the names. Never.

About Squall, what they were thinking? He should have kept the name.

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2009, 10:18:48 pm »
Like "Squall" for example. It fits his personality very well.

Speaking of Squall, where the hell did they get the idea to call him "Leon" in KH? (And the fact that it's in his surname, Leonhart, doesn't count.)

He was called (by himself) Leon in KH because he wanted to forget his past and even in Dissidia he gets angry when they call him Squall.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2009, 01:19:47 am »
I always change the main charecter's names in CT, exept for the First playthrough. Crono=Crono, Lucca= Lucca,  Marle=Nadia, Frog=Glenn, Robo= R-66Y, Ayla=Ayla, Magus=Janus.

A single hyphen short of what I'm doing now.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2009, 02:05:32 am »
He was called (by himself) Leon in KH because he wanted to forget his past and even in Dissidia he gets angry when they call him Squall.

That's interesting. I haven't played either game. But I always thought that the character of Squall was inspired by the character of "Leon" or "Leonhart" (whatever you want to call him) from FF II - hence his surname.

Tokyotony

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2009, 02:13:02 am »
I gave all the characters their own names except Ayla, I liked Ayla.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2009, 08:59:38 am »
His motive for renaming in KH was because he felt ashamed at not being able to fend off the Heartless as they invaded Radiant Garden.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2009, 04:33:20 pm »
That's interesting. In FF II Leonhart is brainwashed by the empire to become a dark knight and does terrible things like forcing the people of a town into slavery, then he feels ashamed about his actions later on and devotes himself to the party's cause.

Hello random FFII spoiler...! >_>
                           ~V_Translanka

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 05:24:49 pm by V_Translanka »

Onikage725

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2009, 11:54:40 pm »
Wow, a lot of people like doing Magus - Janus. I just really can't handle ordinary citizens suddenly knowing his Zeal name.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2009, 05:10:51 am »
Hello random FFII spoiler...! >_>
                           ~V_Translanka

Whoops  :shock:. Sorry V_Translanka, I don't know why I didn't think to mark that.

Lord Homonculous

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2009, 03:04:17 pm »
"Maou" (Janus's Japanese name) means, according to the translators, "Dark King" or "Witch King". "Magus" is a title, not a name.

Strictly speaking, "Magus" is a title rather than a name, true, but in the Middle Ages he went by no other name. There's no problem with his continuing to go by the "name" Magus in an English-language playthrough, since it's the name that the party knows him best by.
You're a bit off on the translation, though. The word "Maou" carries with it some ambiguity depending on how you translate the kanji (see below).

The Fiends (Yes, "Fiend" is far more accurate. Their original name was "Demon") simply gave him that title.

There are a number of reasons (beyond simply the preservation of canon) why the term "Fiend" is inappropriate for the Mystic races. The first being that it's a rather pejorative translation that loses the subtlety embedded in the original Japanese name. The Mystics in Chrono Trigger are called "Mazoku" (魔族). Zoku (族) means "race" (kind of), but "Ma" (魔) does not necessarily mean "demon." It is also used extensively throughout Japanese fantasy and fiction to mean magic, or express in derived words a connection with the supernatural or the occult. (as in Final Fantasy, where the Japanese names for Black and White Magic are "Kuro Mahou" and "Shiro Mahou," both using the 魔 character -- would you translate Black Mage as Black Demon?) In this reading, the name "Mystic" clearly makes the most sense.

Both the name "Fiend" and the reading of "Mazoku" to mean "Demon Race" are unequivocally negative, blackballing the Mystics as inherently evil (despite the fact that the Mystics are redeemed after the party defeats Ozzie's Fort; and later, in Chrono Cross, it's stated that Mystics send scientists to aid in the Chronopolis project). I think that this takes something away from the original Japanese use of "Mazoku"; at least when the race is called "Mystics," the reading can remain neutral, and these creatures can transition easily from being villains to friends with the movement of the story. This is the best we on the English side can do, since we don't use kanji, and our written language doesn't benefit from the kind of nuanced interpretation that Japanese players get.

And also, Schala does indeed call him Janus in Dream's Epilogue, which pretty much seals the deal.

This doesn't really seal any deals... of course she'd call him Janus. That's the name she knows him by. Atropos calls Robo "Prometheus" -- does that make Robo or R66-Y untrue? No. In the context of the English language translation, both Janus and Magus are names the character uses.

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2009, 03:28:23 pm »
Wow, a lot of people like doing Magus - Janus. I just really can't handle ordinary citizens suddenly knowing his Zeal name.

Personally, I feel he wouldn't want to be known as Janus, the little boy who couldn't help his sister. I never rename him. It seems out of character.