Author Topic: Game Mechanics  (Read 2573 times)

Ice Penguin

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Game Mechanics
« on: January 09, 2009, 07:32:44 am »
I'm new to this site, so hello.  :oops:

Currently, I am writing a guide for the game, and was wondering about something.  Have there been any discoveries about Ayla's Charm?  Like success rate, item rarity, etc.   There is a lot I'd to know, but this will suffice, for now.

Also, when the guide is finished, is submitting it here an option?  I'd like to contribute.  :)

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
Re: Game Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:54:16 am »
I'm new to this site, so hello.  :oops:

Welcome tot he party! :D

Sadly, for now, that's all I can say. All I know about Ayla's Charm is what you can get from it, and the new Bestiary in CTDS will tell you that.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 05:11:22 pm »
It doesn't cover Charm's accuracy (or, in fact, a lot of things), but this FAQ covers damage calculations, though it's for the SNES version, so you'll have to be familiar with some of the Woosley'd Tech names...I have no idea if the Compendium has that FAQ squirreled away somewhere as well (or if there's a better, more concise one, for that matter), but w/e...

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 12:37:12 am »
I'm pretty sure charm's accuracy varies from monster to monster.  I remember the Lavos Spawn in Black Omen was a pain to charm from (The helmet from its shell).  Took me about 11 times to get it (No alluring top equipped) while most other enemies (Including the prism equipment from Zeal) didn't take many tries at all.

While I don't know the base success rate, there are two ways to improve it, through twin charm and the alluring top.

ryu planeswalker

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 01:41:38 am »
While we are discussing Mechanics in this thread, out of curiosity is the 9999 damage hit from Robo's Apocalypse Arm considered a Critical Hit and its Rate of Occurrence boosted by the Dragons' Tear?

FouCapitan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 01:57:39 am »
While we are discussing Mechanics in this thread, out of curiosity is the 9999 damage hit from Robo's Apocalypse Arm considered a Critical Hit and its Rate of Occurrence boosted by the Dragons' Tear?
Yes and yes.  Also, I'm not sure about all techs, but I have had Rapidfire Fist crit as well for 9999 with it.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 04:29:31 am »
:nou

Yeah, welcome.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 01:14:18 am »
...is the 9999 damage hit from Robo's Apocalypse Arm considered a Critical Hit...?

Yes. The 9999 damage from the Apocalypse Arm comes from Critical Hits ONLY, so the more often he can do a Critical Hit while using the Apocalypse Arm, the more often you can deal 9999 damage to an enemy. Perfect for winning fights that you need over in a hurry. It's also kickass to see what happens if you take out the last target first in certain fights like Black Tyranno+Azala, Guardian+Bit(x2), Giga Gaia+Arms, Lavos 2+Arms, etc. It sucks the Dragon Tank battle isn't one of them, though.

FouCapitan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 02:22:27 am »
It sucks the Dragon Tank battle isn't one of them, though.
One cyclone suffices for that one though.

I wonder if any of Robo's other techs can 'crit' like Rapidfire Fist can with the Apocalypse Arm?

Ice Penguin

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 05:02:10 pm »
I have a few more questions.

About Lucca's Wondershot.  The damage is random and does .1x, .5x, 1x, 2x, or 3x the damage.  I did a series of tests and from what I've seen, it will also do .25x?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 05:19:02 pm »
From what I know, it doesn't. Only the ones you have already stated.

dream of the shore

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 05:51:15 pm »
Interesting... On CTDS I had the alluring top equipped on Ayla always, because charming is all she's really good for. All the Megaelixers from the creatures in the Giant's Claw really make Lavos and Time Devourer MUCH easier.

The charm rate for me seems to be perfect. I can't think of a SINGLE time in my entire three playthroughs so far where I didn't get something from a charm, even against the Elder Lavos Spawn and Queen Zeal's hands and face. I can't contribute much in terms of probability and statistics, but a good tip for getting pesky charms would be to use Ayla and Marle's double charm.

...is the 9999 damage hit from Robo's Apocalypse Arm considered a Critical Hit...?

Yes. The 9999 damage from the Apocalypse Arm comes from Critical Hits ONLY, so the more often he can do a Critical Hit while using the Apocalypse Arm, the more often you can deal 9999 damage to an enemy. Perfect for winning fights that you need over in a hurry. It's also kickass to see what happens if you take out the last target first in certain fights like Black Tyranno+Azala, Guardian+Bit(x2), Giga Gaia+Arms, Lavos 2+Arms, etc. It sucks the Dragon Tank battle isn't one of them, though.

I remember reading on some guide, something along the lines of
Apocalypse Arm = Instant RAPE, just add Dragon's Tear

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 06:02:58 pm »
I would word it as follows.

Apocalypse Arm + Dragon's Tear = Falcon PUNCH

'Nuff said.