Author Topic: My mini project - "Blue Crono"  (Read 2834 times)

Rickets

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
My mini project - "Blue Crono"
« on: April 12, 2008, 03:24:59 am »
Hey all, I spent a few hours today on something I started last year.  It was last year that I felt compelled to make chrono's eyes and shirt more blueish.  Green eyes and shirt just didn't seem accurate to me at the time.  Also, Lucca's hair is pinkish on the screen and brown in the profile pic.  And in a lot of artwork Lucca's hair is purple/maroon, so I wanted to tweak her hair a bit.  I ended up going with maroon after trying a lot of different ways... I've gotten a bit closer to getting her profile the way I would like it.  I had to sacrifice a little detail on the rest of her pic to make new colors for her hair, so it may look a little diff. / unusual.

I made an IPS patch and I've tried combining it with the Compendiums retranslation and it works.  I also tried it on Doctor L's translation and it overwrites my patch, so I tried putting his patch on first and then mine and weird stuff happens so it must be something with his patch...

The process of editing portraits is long and exhausting ...let me know how I did.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:13:58 pm by Rickets »

Anacalius

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Boredom is not a burden that anyone should bear.
    • View Profile
Re: My mini project - and an error with Doctor L's Trans.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 06:02:59 am »
I really like the Crono, good job there. I like the Lucca as well, but the Crono is PERFECT.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 06:04:21 am »

It's kind of an in-between color of purple & pink...though it looks more pink, and is better more pink, if you ask me...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 06:09:38 am by V_Translanka »

Rickets

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 06:20:20 am »
It's kind of an in-between color of purple & pink...though it looks more pink, and is better more pink, if you ask me...

There are pics of her that show a more maroon color, in fact, I used the following picture as guidance.  Also, it has to fit with the rest of the pallete or it will look awful.  So pink doesn't work (at least the pinks in the picture you added), it pretty much has to stay maroon to fit with her face, helmet, and shirt.  BUT, I could tinker with her pic a lot more and make impressive changes to it, but it's so darn time consuming, and would be the biggest thing I've ever done as far as CT hacking.  It is kinda fun and rewarding in a way... it just isn't a very big deal.

I really wanted to use my patch on Doctor L's reretranslation, can someone contact him?  Or maybe he isn't needed to fix my problem..

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 10:23:13 am »
Crono's is perfect...Absolutely perfect.  Isn't it just a palette change?  If so, then I could probably apply a patch of Doctor L's and then alter the portrait palette and throw the IPS patch here if needed.

Rickets

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 02:56:31 pm »
I switched some colors around in TM, because if you look at a stock pic, he has dark shirt color on his bandana and his face, so I actually made changes to him, granted that was before I spent an hour or something finding the "perfect blue" for the job.  So maybe the hard change isn't as neccesary since the blue fits better than it did before, but it's hard to say for sure.  I'm so sensitive to detail that I notice the dark green on the bandana and his lip area when the pic is stock, I think if My Crono wasn't hard changed, you'd be able to tell, but I'm not 100% sure.  I really like the hard change compared to the stock pic with 2 colors swapped.  The hard change was very simple though, but I hate going into TM, and messing with savestates and all that.... I'm surprised I got as far as I did with TM because since I hadn't used it for several months it's like it has been erased from my brain.

I think Lucca's could be better, if anyone has any ideas for that, I need them.

The following crono is stock, see if you can tell they used the dark green on the right of his headband and there is some green dots used here and there I think...

Edit: You can actually see the green much easier on the "error" pic in the first post.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 02:59:12 pm by Rickets »

Rickets

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 08:23:10 pm »
I'm not sure what to do with her shirt or her eyes (so I switched them back to normal).  But I did switch colors around in TM so it isn't just new colors.(Her helmet is more filled in as well as her face)
Just wanted to show my progress.. I have an idea for better hair color, but I need a break.

Rickets

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 12:03:43 am »
To my frustration I found that I edited the wrong 2 colors for Crono after I found the blues that I wanted, the following crono pic is how I intended him to look.  The reason I like this one better is because while it is blue, it hides itself in the rest of the portrait and the inner eye color isn't so dark.  See for yourself and feel free to comment.

dankun

• Guardian (+100)
  • Male...female......what's the difference?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 02:07:50 am »
Would you mind giving a helping hand to a fellow compendiumite?
I'm extremely interested in starting my way into the hacking scene, and I've always figured if there was one perfect place for me to start in, it'd be through graphical hacks.

How exactly did you manage to pull this off? Could you please point me in the right direction...? What programs do I need to learn how to use? I'm assuming that this isn't technical enough to scare me away, and yet somehow sufficiently challanging; enough to give you the satisfaction of actually saying that you have actually hacked the game.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 02:09:30 am by dankun »

Rickets

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 02:32:56 am »
Would you mind giving a helping hand to a fellow compendiumite?
I'm extremely interested in starting my way into the hacking scene, and I've always figured if there was one perfect place for me to start in, it'd be through graphical hacks.

How exactly did you manage to pull this off? Could you please point me in the right direction...? What programs do I need to learn how to use? I'm assuming that this isn't technical enough to scare me away, and yet somehow sufficiently challanging; enough to give you the satisfaction of actually saying that you have actually hacked the game.

Gladly, use this url
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Tutorials_%28Chrono_Trigger%29.html

or go to community at the top of the page here and then to modification and then to tutorials, that's how I started out, but there is much more to learn, do some exploring, and good luck.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 12:09:20 pm »
Yea, I agree the best way is to probably do graphics hacking and work your way up.

Here's an .XML file for Tile Molester.  Just rename that to your rom name but instead of .smc, make sure it's .xml.  Then move the file into Tile Molester/Resources.  Then wham.  I have alot of stuff labeled in it to make it easier for people to find graphics.

Rickets

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 01:14:04 am »
I recently tried my ips on CT+ demo2 i think it's called and I got the same exact error as I did for DoctorL's Trans. so I think now that there is nothing wrong with DoctorL's Trans patch and neither with CT+.  I guess it can't be helped for now.

I'm going to make my changes to DoctorL's patch again and try to get it to work right, and then I will make my patch from his patch... then I'll apply my patch to the CT+demo and see what happens...