Author Topic: Attack/Tech scripts  (Read 2943 times)

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Attack/Tech scripts
« on: December 23, 2005, 05:34:52 pm »
I think I found the scripting that tells the game how each attack is carried out.

Pointers are at CD5EC6 (2 bytes each)
Data is at CE0380

The first attack and script is Crono's regular sword swipe, and I'm pretty sure these cover enemy attacks as well.

http://www.geocities.com/chickenlump/ExperimentTrigger.zip

In the patch above, I swapped the pointer for Crono's regular attack to another attack.

Custom techs... I will have you yet!

I think each script begins with 90 XX 90 XX (or something similar).

CE0000 - Pointers to Enemy Death Scripts (2 bytes each)
CED428 - Enemy death scripts (Hetake uses this script)

D10000 - Pointers to attack graphic effects (2 bytes each((the slash of crono's sword for example...))

CD686E - pointers to attack graphic effects palettes (2 bytes each)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Attack/Tech scripts
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 07:13:32 pm »
I'll inter this on the encyclopedia just so it doesn't get lost in this forum if updates are hard to come by.

I'm itching to hack now that Temporal Flux 2.00 is out. It's like taking a new sportscar for a spin.

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Attack/Tech scripts
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 07:20:29 pm »
I forgot to mention that the addresses I posted are all in SNES format.
I got a little debug happy this morning... :oops:

Elvis_Maximus

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Attack/Tech scripts
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 06:02:47 pm »
*drools at the thought of custom techs*

With this and some creative hacking custom techs would definitly be possible (assuming we can decode the various offsets and commands inside the tech script.. thats the next hard part lol).

Here's the next question... if anyone can figure out how the sprites are in the game (I assume they're completely stored in Hex format unfortunatly, but its possible) by messing around with it; we can figure out a way to generate custom sprite hex codes using a program to translate (because that would be far simpler than doing it by hand). And yes.. I could actually write the translator if someone figured out how it worked...

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Attack/Tech scripts
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 03:41:37 pm »
Quote from: Elvis_Maximus
*drools at the thought of custom techs*

With this and some creative hacking custom techs would definitly be possible (assuming we can decode the various offsets and commands inside the tech script.. thats the next hard part lol).

Here's the next question... if anyone can figure out how the sprites are in the game (I assume they're completely stored in Hex format unfortunatly, but its possible) by messing around with it; we can figure out a way to generate custom sprite hex codes using a program to translate (because that would be far simpler than doing it by hand). And yes.. I could actually write the translator if someone figured out how it worked...

Being a bit slow, I didn't really understand what you were wanting to say.
If you mean change the graphics, it's really easy. It stores it's graphics like quite a few other SNES games, except it's compressed. It's easy to decompress, edit, and put the graphics back in. The problem with that is the graphics have to follow how the game decides how they get put together. Changing the animations they do is easy with a hex editor, like have crono laugh when a battle is won, or have Lucca spin around as her battle stance (instead of gun at the ready).

Anonymous

Attack/Tech scripts
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 08:36:01 pm »
! Wow that'll be funny.  Lucca spinning around for her battle stance.  I could see people thinking that she's on crack or something -.-

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Attack/Tech scripts
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 08:11:37 am »
I'll try to mess around with these, (If I can find the addresses  :roll: ).  I'll post once I get something interesting.  I'll also try to figure out how I got like, 12 character slots even when I didn't change anything, but that's later ¬_¬

Did you use a Hex editor cause if not then I'll need your help a little -_-

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Attack/Tech scripts
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 03:18:14 pm »
I used Geiger's SNES9x debugger to edit the ROM data while the game is running (which lets me edit the game in memory, so the actual game is untouched, unless I hit the save button). In the debugger's hex editor, I chose to view ROM, and the SNES addresses I gave above will take you directly to the data. I can convert them to PC addresses tonight, I'm a bit busy just now though. :(

The debugger is an awesome tool, I can really mess up the ROM in memory, and just load it up again and try again, because it's all done in memory. And I can keep track and edit RAM. And trace, and and and *head explodes*

It's worth your time to check out, even if just to play around a bit. :)

VinceIP

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Attack/Tech scripts
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 04:28:16 pm »
Wow - nice find! We're getting close.

I'll definately have to try out that debugger, too.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Attack/Tech scripts
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 07:54:44 am »
Close to what? From what I understood, changing the bytes is enough to change the tech animations. Custom techs are already possible with that no?

VinceIP

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Attack/Tech scripts
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 11:39:01 am »
But that's just changing the animations. We want to change the techs themselves so we can make all new ones with different effects.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Attack/Tech scripts
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 02:25:50 pm »
Oh, okay sorry. I guess this one is just for the "whoaa" effect then  :)