Author Topic: Re-retranslation Complete! (Who the hell is Doctor L??) Please read inside.  (Read 6445 times)

DoctorL

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Both files contain patches for a headered and a nonheadered version of Chrono Trigger.

UPDATED: 2008-March-29
-Changed the names of a few items
-Included Lunar IPS with archive
-Decreased archive size

Doctor L's CT Re-retranslation.zip
Doctor L's CT Re-retranslation.7z
readme.txt

If you would like to know a little more about me and the development process, you can visit my blog.

FOREWORD
So, you’re probably wondering why a great game that already had a decent translation and a recently released retranslation from fans would need another fan translation.  Normally, I’d be wondering the same thing.  However, here we are.

Late in January of 2008, I had a desire to play Chrono Trigger again after having not played for at least 7 years.  When I discovered that KWhazit, ZeaLitY, and company had finished a new English retranslation, I immediately applied it to the game and started playing.  No, discredit to them, but I felt much of the text was incoherent and/or awkward.  I soon discovered I was not the only one who felt this way.  Therefore, instead of complaining, I decided to take action.  I acquired all the necessary tools to begin doing my re-retranslation.  For the next 3 months, I went to work.

I want to make it clear that, despite not enjoying their version, I would not have been able to do this without Chrono Compendium’s retranslation forerunners like ZeaLitY and KWhazit.  The resources they provided pointed me in the right direction to complete this.

In the end, here are the fruits of my labor.  I aimed not so much for a literal translation, but localization, clear and easily understood text, and the inclusion of any missing elements left out from the US version due to Nintendo’s censorship policy from back in the day.

Hopefully, you’ll find it to be an enjoyable experience.

NOTES

I will not provide you or tell you where to get an illegal ROM image of Chrono Trigger.  Don’t ask.  You are expected to provide your own legit copy.

Regarding the change of the element icon ‘Lightning’ to ‘Sky’ and then to ‘Heaven’ in my version:  I have strong reasoning for doing this.  I will explain.  The Japanese character used for Crono's element can be rendered as Sky or Heaven in English.  ZeaLitY decided on Sky.  However, here are my reasons for choosing Heaven:
  • Crono’s final tech’s, Shining (Luminaire in original English version), description reads literally from Japanese, “Ultimate holy magic on all enemies.”  Any version of heaven across all cultures in a spiritual, metaphysical, or magical sense is associated with being holy.
  • If the element truly was supposed to be Sky, why would the localization team change it to Lightning?  Such changes were generally only done for three reasons: The original meaning held religious context (as heaven does), cultural difference no one here would readily understand, or was of an adult nature.

I based my ROM edit off of a copy of Chrono Trigger patched with Chrono Compendium’s retranslation patch.  So, their CronoNick fix and the ending artwork are both still in-tact.  I take no credit for these whatsoever and you have them to thank.

SUPPORT

E-Mail: doctorl.support@gmail.com

Perfection is an ongoing struggle.  If you find any text related error, make certain you are using the latest version of the patch.  If you are, please feel free to email me letting me know about it.  Please follow these guidelines in doing so:

1. Quote the text and tell me what you feel is wrong with it.
2. Who said it?
3. Where did they say it?  Be as specific as possible.

I can’t promise I’ll get back to you about it right away, but I will make an effort to do so.

CREDITS
  • Squaresoft/Square Enix for creating the game and giving me a reason to do this.
  • Ted Woolsey for providing the original, entertaining English translation.
  • KWhazit for the English retranslation script.
  • ZeaLitY for playing a large part in creating the original retranslation patch.
  • Geiger for creating Temporal Flux and giving the community an easier means of finishing translation projects such as this.
  • JLukas and Geiger for creating the CronoNick fix for the original retranslation and for providing us with the ending art.
  • justin3009 for helping a very frustrated me with inserting Crono’s ‘Heaven’ element icon into the game.  He will go on to be a great king that will rule the land with his generous iron fist of awesome.
  • Any other person from the Chrono Compedium who in any way contributed to the release of this patch in any shape or form.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 04:10:38 am by DoctorL »

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Vehek rules over me.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Nazarene Hebrew, Tribe of Dan, of Yisra'el; YHWH..
    • View Profile
    • NeptuneNavigator2001's Website in Progress!
Huh...  Interesting...  Only time will see where this really goes...  Now I have like, three different versions of Trigger to play (besides the Woolsey SNES and PlayStation versions) - this one, the original retranslation, and that new Chrono Trigger + beta (which, I must say, really makes you WORK for a victory over enemies!  Heh...).

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
this will be played asap.  trust me.

DoctorL

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Thanks guys.  I hope you enjoy it.  I was starting to get worried that no one was interested.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
actually, i just downloaded it.  it may be this weekend before i can play it, however.  and i AM pumped, because i, like you, found some of the dialogue from the compendium retranslation that it sort of got to me...

don't get me wrong, they did a FINE job and i understand that they will be updating it soon, but it's nice to have a more reasonable rom to read.

Ramsus

Thanks guys.  I hope you enjoy it.  I was starting to get worried that no one was interested.

Sorry. Usually stuff like this gets picked up instantly, but Zeality was the only person doing news (or really anything) on the site, and now he's too distracted. I'll assign a news guy later.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Yeah, it's all been on my side. I'm going to finish the site update tonight now that we know CT is due for Wikipedia.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Hmm; I haven't played your patch yet, DoctorL, but I have a suggestion:
since this is based off the Retranslation, I don't know if you caught this, but I just thought of it.  Forgive me if this seems a little scatterbrained, but I'm pretty tired right now: in Zeal, in the Zeal Palace I think, there's a woman that notes that Hasch-sama (Gaspar in the original version) is making a Chrono Trigger/Time Egg.  However, the Japanese version (and therefore the retranslation, I think) notes that "...it's been many years now since anybody has seen him."  Yet, Woolsey's translation catches this mistake, and changes it into "...but no one's seen him for ages...", which is more metaphorical.  I remember reading it somewhere, probably in the Encyclopedia.  ...Sorry if you don't get it, or if this issue has been tackled previously...  I'm very tired.  Perhaps if I could remember where I read it...

DoctorL

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Hmm; I haven't played your patch yet, DoctorL, but I have a suggestion:
since this is based off the Retranslation, I don't know if you caught this, but I just thought of it.  Forgive me if this seems a little scatterbrained, but I'm pretty tired right now: in Zeal, in the Zeal Palace I think, there's a woman that notes that Hasch-sama (Gaspar in the original version) is making a Chrono Trigger/Time Egg.  However, the Japanese version (and therefore the retranslation, I think) notes that "...it's been many years now since anybody has seen him."  Yet, Woolsey's translation catches this mistake, and changes it into "...but no one's seen him for ages...", which is more metaphorical.  I remember reading it somewhere, probably in the Encyclopedia.  ...Sorry if you don't get it, or if this issue has been tackled previously...  I'm very tired.  Perhaps if I could remember where I read it...

I found the line you speak of.  Fortunately, I caught it.  Thanks for letting me know!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Today's update is coming together. I heard there's a Chrono Trigger + interview coming soon, so the update may be off for another couple days while that gets to me. Anyway, thanks a ton for making readmes, patches, and all that sort of thing. The release is about as professional as you can get!

DoctorL

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Thanks Zeal!  :D

Awakened

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
What I've played so far I've liked. From reading your blog on this thing's development, your ideals seem pretty close to mine. Awesome work  :D

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Hmm; I haven't played it yet - I've been busy with other things at the moment, and even at that, I have the original retranslation to play through again.  But, I did play through that part of the retranslation a couple nights ago, and it seems that it was already corrected...???  Maybe one of the lines was missed by the retranslation team or something...  But yeah, the change is there...

Rickets

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
I tried putting this patch and a patch I made together and it doesn't allow my patch to function properly...

here is the thread...
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,5280.0.html

You'll see a JPG called error in the first post.  Something may have gone wrong when you edited the element for crono, or it could somehow be my fault (perhaps my rom is weird, who knows)

K, thanks

Edit: So The other day I did these steps...
I applied DoctorL's patch to my smc
I opened the smc in Tile Molester and took a look at crono and lucca
I opened a different smc with my work done to it to copy my edited crono and lucca
I pasted the portraits into the smc patched with DoctorL's
I saved and closed...
I went into SNESpal and replaced the colors I wasn't using with colors I was using and saved

The problem after manually changing the reretranslation to use my portraits for crono and lucca is that...
Lucca's eyes were not the right color
one of Crono's colors was for some reason transparent(the color was one that was used mainly for the folds on the orange cloth I believe)
I deleted that failed attempt to get my pics in there so I don't have any examples of this.
I'm not sure if this info will help in fixing this problem, but I figured I should share my experience.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 07:59:50 pm by Rickets »